Garbage Patch 1, Clean Up < 1

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
We see these “nice” ideas BUT minor compared to A rubbish-strewn beach in Anquan village, China.
upload_2019-1-5_21-58-30.jpeg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
When I was a kid just out of third grade, 1972, my family loaded, all five of us, into a VW poptop camper and spent four months to circle the lower 48. That beach picture is nothing compared to the walls of garbage I saw lining some of the roads in the mid-West. For miles, guardrails were hidden below the piles. Then there was this commercial:
Effective.
It has to start with "nice" ideas.

-Will (Dragonfly)

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It will help treat the symptom, Dave.
The issue is stopping it at the source. That means the third world regions of Southeast Asia, China and India.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It will help treat the symptom, Dave.
The issue is stopping it at the source. That means the third world regions of Southeast Asia, China and India.
You'd be surprised at how much plastic is floating around the Great Lakes.... :(

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I understand there is a lot. The difference is the lakes sort of drain to the east. The Pacific problem is the stuff gets pulled away from shore by currents that at a point in the middle of ocean get somewhat gathered together in North Pacific gyre. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_garbage_patch
Then sailors transiting in small boats cruising to warm waters, with cellphone cameras discovered this. This has been happening for years. And now we are all aware that the oceans have been used as a garbage dump. For millennia. Only now discoverey, since the 60’s the plastics are proving their long lasting abilities.