Going up the mast by yourself

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
I was wondering if any of you have developed a way to climb the mast without someone helping. I will not be taking my mast down, and I need a way to inspect the says, shrouds and other hardware on the mast.

I looked at the http://www.atninc.com/atn-mastclimber-sailing-equipment.shtml but the smallest line it works on is 3/8" and all of the halyards are 5/16" so it will not work.

Any ideas?

Another question is, how stable is the boat (WKTR) with a person at the top of the mast?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
how stable is the boat (WKTR) with a person at the top of the mast?
Aye, there's the rub. Doesn't take much weight off center to start the process.
I recommend not going up.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Aye, there's the rub. Doesn't take much weight off center to start the process.
I recommend not going up.
I was going to say the same, but the OP says the mast isn't coming down. On a 22? Much easier to inspect and make repairs. I wish I had that option.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
I would lower the mast right in the slip with a line to the forestay, we do it at our club all the time for the smaller Capris and 22's. Then you can take your time inspect, make any repairs and raise the mast back up. Much easier than climbing the mast and much safer.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Guessing you are sailing on Lake George NY.
If so I would check out the Harris Bay Yacht Club http://hbyc.com/service/. They report Mast stepping and unstepping services.
They may be a source of help. Climbing a small boat mast is a bad idea.

Nov 1, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Galveston
@letlmt ,
Good morning! I have climbed the mast on my Catalina 25 many times; she has a weighted fixed keel, and she still sways around quite a bit when I'm aloft. I couldn't imagine climbing a Catalina 22...that would just be plain frightening!

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
Hmmm, I used to have a J/120 and going up the mast was a regular thing that everyone just assumed would be done.

I know the 22’ is less stable, but I wanted to find out whether anyone goes up the 22’s mast. It is not looking like it.

How do you inspect the top of the mast and spreaders without going up the mast or taking it down?

Thanks

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Binoculars and an occasional demasting...

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I wish my mast was as light and small as a 22. There's no reason that mast can't be dropped, easily.
Please don't climb it. That's a bad idea.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
I liked the drone idea, plus it will be a fun toy
Well now we know what @letlmt wants in his Christmas stocking.
Boy this would really be a tough crowd to celebrate Christmas with Secret Santa's.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I recall a drone discussion on this very forum when I bought my original Mavic. It kinda mirrored the political situation down there, those that were for it were rather vocal and those that were against it were talking buckshot.