Going up the mast by yourself

Jul 28, 2016
There is no way on earth that I can imagine anyone climbing the mast on a Capri 22 with a standard rig, let along a tall rig. The mast is very slender, the standing rigging is quite small, and the boat is Waayyy to tender. I know its a new boat for you. You will soon understand. My prior boat was a Pearson Flyer - not near the same as your J/120, and we used to send folks aloft for a variety of maintenance chores. On the CP22, drop the rig. Two adults can do it, and many have done it alone with a gin pole or a-frame set up.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Here you go. Rig up a jack staff with a couple sail slugs and a couple shackles. Use one shackle for the halyard and the other for the downhaul. Mount the Feiyutech G5 gimbal to the jack staff and a Sony FDR-X3000 on the gimbal ($200 + $500, still cheaper than a hospital visit) then attach the jack staff to the slugs, then hoist the setup to the masthead. View the cam picture via iPhone app and control the gimbal (rotation and tilt) via the iPhone app to view everything.

Piece ‘a cake.
IMG_8187.jpg
Afterward, when all is checked out okay, go sailing and take some fun sailing videos.

The white cable is a flex cable to go from the external mic (not shown) to the cam. The gimbal head is under the velcro strap surrounded by the mic cable.