Big Brother and SBO

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Didn't feel like reading all the responses above, so my appologies if it has aready been mentioned. Here's what one member suggested for me; https://getadblock.com/
It's free and they do accept donations if you like it. I like it a lot and with the 'one click' on & off feature, you can visit sites that won't let you visit with an ad blocker on.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Since the MS rant I've been a lot more recognizant of this issue. Turned off my Seri. My Son in Law sent us a Amazon Dot. Fortunately we couldn't make it work anyway. I make a point, OK actually I need to, look up a lot of crossword answers. I like to think of algorithms smoking in some server somewhere. And I'll do my best to employ some of the methods outlined above. It's very strange to be in business - and try to promote that business- and to try to have some security. My EIN and so much other information about me is so out there. I don't think there is a internet scammer who doesn't know my childhood pet's name. Or any of those questions that are used for security. Whoever thought we would end up here?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Whoever thought we would end up here?
It seems as if George Orwell did in 1949, when he wrote "1984". I can never get over this quote:

"With the development of television, and the technical advance which made it possible to receive and transmit simultaneously on the same instrument, private life came to an end."

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Does Cerf know that former VP Al Gore claims he: “During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet”.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Does Cerf know that former VP Al Gore claims he: “During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet”.
IDK.

Wouldn't it be nice to get away from a debt-based economy? :stir:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
IDK.Wouldn't it be nice to get away from a debt-based economy? :stir:
Haven't had a credit card since 2002 and have never bought anything, not even a boat, on time. Cash on the barrelhead.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
IDK. Wouldn't it be nice to get away from a debt-based economy? :stir:
Maybe. But world wide economic collapse doesn't look so good. But I'm totally in favor of getting away from a debt based life for me. And I'm pretty close.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I think we're getting a number of privacy issues all tangled up here. The original question is about an annoying tactic called "remarketing." (We don't do that but lots of marketers do.) There are two popular sources of remarketing: Google, which has cookies everywhere tracking everything, and one of a whole bunch of Customer Relationship Management applications that track everything you do, but only on a specific site.

Google remarketing will follow you all over the internet, which is probably what caused the situation @rgranger experienced. CRM remarketing will show up in the form of emails and maybe some ads on the site that runs the system, but it is generally limited to the originating site.

To avoid remarketing you need to avoid the tracking cookies. I'm not up on all the newest browser settings but if you can delete all cookies when you shut down, that's a good start. Or set your preferences so you don't accept cookies at all, but that's going to mess up your internet experience in a big way.

The other bundle of privacy problems related to hacking, phishing, Alexa, Siri, email, Big Data... that is well above my pay grade.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
1984, is a dystopian novel by English author George Orwell published in June 1949.
Had to go to the dictionary for for dystopian. Always good to learn a new word. Was the novel 1984 negative or predictive? It certainly was negative. Was it predictive?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Let me say that I never thought SBO was acting as big brother but I can see how my post could be seen as me saying that. I was pointing out that big brother was mining my SBO posts.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Beware of ad-blocking that isn't. Mostly it's cookie mining for interests, something that Amazon is really good at. Some folks swear by adblock, but that's gone to nag/begware. Some for ublock origin. None for ublock that figured out that folks searching for ublock origin would install ublock first.

Me? I'm real careful what I do on my primary computer. Anything at all that involves any site I haven't been to dozens of times gets done on a USB lubuntu boot. I may be a bit paranoid :).

Oh, and we're all doomed due to technology. May as well go sailing.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Had to go to the dictionary for for dystopian. Always good to learn a new word. Was the novel 1984 negative or predictive? It certainly was negative. Was it predictive?
Um, both.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Yeah but, @Phil Herring, some wonderful little additions like "little snitch" is a fantastic utility to notify and subsequently prevent the googelonians from virtually everything. I for one take great pleasure in blocking them, on principle if for no other reason.