Big Brother and SBO

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
So this past week, I read a thread where someone asked about Total Boat bottom paint, and I read another thread by Brian D, on aluminum paste, and I mentioned JD weld on that thread....

Last week I was on a thread where another poster mentioned a cycling shirt and the need to have them long in the back.... and also last week, we had a post about using an air pump to get the water out of a ballast tank on an H23.5

Today I open up an Amazon page and guess what is being suggested to me..... yep.... all of those items.

upload_2018-10-25_11-46-17.png

Can you say skynet!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Well, just wait a few minutes and it will be suggested to you. :laugh:
Easy if you are using a Mac. Look for browser extensions in the preferences section. Works for both Safari and Firefox. Sorry I can't help you with Edge or Explorer, but they are out there. Try googling ad blocking extensions and/or do not track extensions.

The latest version of Safari for Mac has anti-tracking software built in, just have to turn it on.

@JRacer you are very prescient!

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Google Analytics shares a lot of info with a multitude of customers. Not sure if ad blocker will work in regards to that. Using Chrome? Firefox and MS use similar tech. It is the 21st century after all..... But, I do have to admit, I do not have the same issues a lot of people here do. No idea why. I don't have an ad blocker on my system and I do not use incognito mode browsing either. I do use "HTTPS Everywhere" so all traffic is supposedly encrypted. There may be some browser settings you can change as well. I talked to the kids at work, under 30 IT guys like me being an over 50 IT guy, and they were nonchalant about their data being mined by everyone that can. They just accepted it as a reality of the times.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Be careful what you look at........just saying :)
I was talking to a friend of mine about how Alexa spies on you ... and he said that when he sees an Alexa unit at a friends house during a social gathering, he is tempted to go over to it and repeat ____ _____ _____ over and over again. :yikes:

I left it blank here because I don't want it showing up on my Amazon page.... so you will just have to use your imagination.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Try these guys...
https://duckduckgo.com
They make their ad money only when your search and NOT what you do.
I have a Mac and I still purge all my cookies every 3-4 days.
I got tired of the Big Brother watching.
Jim...

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I moved this over to Sail Call Lounge. This is where it really belongs.

With that, I am using FireFox 56. Anything after that and FireFox has changed its browser engine. A lot of add-on that worked up to FF56 no longer work with FF57 or newer. So why am I saying this? Because the three add-ons I use do not work with FF57 or newer.

Adblocking - Do not use Adblock Plus. It is not supported anymore. I use "adblock" and it is found at getadblockdotcom. It can be configured to do many things. I have SBO whitelisted but everything else gets blocked.

Cookies - Bad stuff on bad sites. So I block all cookies when I visit other webpages. Pages that require a login I whitelist. Otherwise I will not be able to log in. I also clean out my cookies if I mess up and use global allow. Bad stuff. This add-on is called CookieShield.

Trackers and popup - I use Popup Blocker Ultimate. This add on will block sites that try and redirect you. It works great. Well too good. Sometimes I will be on a site that needs a form. PBU blocks the form. Ha! I have to disable the add-on to fill out the form. After that, I reengage the add-on.

So there you have it. This is what I use and have very little issue with ads, cookies, and redirects, except where I allow them. I don't know what browser you use so you might have to find an alternate add-on. Adblock I think is good for all browsers. Just remember, do not get adblockerplus. It is no longer supported. And if you are using FF you might have to downgrade to FF56.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Just to be perfectly clear, this has absolutely nothing to do with SBO.

Google has an option (upper right dots) for incognito mode, which minimizes cookies and should beat all the ads. Also, if you're a Mac user, Safari has the best privacy features and they have little stake in advertising so they're happy to help you block it.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
DuckDuckGo forces a secure link, if available. Every time I purge cookies, I have to LOG in again to SBO, but Apple allows iCloud links to save Username and Passwords that are Double authorized locks to open them.

When I do SBO shopping I have to re-give permission on cookies, which I do.

It is the sneaky cookies that both Facebook and Google are clever with.
Google is off my machine entirely. I deleted Facebook.
Jim...

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
1) NO toolbars or browser extensions unless they are either a password manager that's a paid subscription, or a security tool that's also a paid subscription. Key word is "paid" nothing is free and if you don't pay money YOUR information is the price.
2) Change the default DNS setting in your connection so you are not using your ISP default. Type in OpenDNS addresses, 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220, in Primary DNS and Secondary DNS fields. Or use DNS 1.1.1.1 These are faster and more private, and prevent your ISP from logging your DNS requests.
3) Allow session cookies within sites but not tracking cookies. (This requires you to do some Internet homework and is browser/device dependent).
4) Buy a subscriptions to a private proxy service. NordVPN is one of the more popular and reputable ones.