Let’s build a Sailors Music Playlist...

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I always listen for sailing songs. Happy or sad. Most are happy, some make me weepy. You-tube makes it easy to share your favorites. I’m mostly interested in what you like to listen to as a primal motivator for showing the crew (or guests) that you own this boat, and we’re looking gonna have a friggin’ good time! My Admiral turned me on to a song by The Beach Boys that I’ve never heard before, therefore this is my first contribution:

Share your favorite....

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Welllll...you could start with a catchy version of "Row, row, row Your Boat. :)

My sailing music favorites have always been just about everything on Jimmy Buffet's "Banana Wind" album and about half of his "Songs You Know By Heart" album. But no collection would be complete without the Kingston Trio's "Sloop John B."

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Here's a few from our playlist which also includes most of what has been mentioned so far:

Shiver Me Timbers - James Tailor version
Soul of a Sailor - Kenny Chesney
Into the Mystic - Joe Cocker version
Kokomo - The Beach Boys
Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) - John Lennon
Lights - Journey

I sometimes play Ride Of The Valkyries while overtaking during a friendly race.

Last edited:

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Eric Stone Boatsongs Collection 1 and 2
Right up there with Jimmy

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
One of my all-time favorites
I use to lay in my bunk in the aft cabin and listen to Brandy with my brother's headphones in the dark.

I bought about 20 cassette tapes of Hawaiian, Calypso and maritime music when in high school. I liked Maryanne, Conch ain't got no Bones, Reincarnation and this song from the South Street Singers of Mystic Ct.
It has become the Gilmore Family song. My kids learned it at a very early age.

- Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Interesting enough, I took out the CD player from my boat. Will fill the holes left behind. Next... the speakers and all associated wiring.
Electronic gizmos left a lot of big holes in boats, that now need filling. I'm amazed at how many marine electronic devices, including music, just need a quarter sized USB plug. And no wires.