What is the worst Sailing State?

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
One could argue against MN for the cold weather and shorter season.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
So I would gather that Portsmouth is probably best in New Hampshire, since you are saying that is where much of the money is.
Scott,
I can only give my opinion on that and the reasons I came to that opinion. I will let those concerned, sort through and decide if they agree or disagree. Money in an area has a clear tendency to change the area it goes into. Funny how many places that are "best" attract money only to have its consequent development render it undesirable. Eventually, those who moved there and can still afford to go elsewhere for their amusement, then do so.

In New Hampshire, it is a noted phenomenon that people from Boston choose to retire to the "simple country" life in "New Hampshire" then, they get involved in local politics only to push for the same restrictive regulations and rules they left the city to get away from, just so they don't have to live on an unpaved road populated with trailers and junk cars that had been perfectly happy where they were before the Boston transplant came along.

Oh well. I hail originally from Florida where the condo association is king.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Scott,
Money in an area has a clear tendency to change the area it goes into. Funny how many places that are "best" attract money only to have its consequent development render it undesirable. Eventually, those who moved there and can still afford to go elsewhere for their amusement, then do so.
There can be truth in that. Fifty years ago the founding 14 members of WYC bought a run-down marina that had been on the edge of town since the beginning of time. For about 30 years, the city tried to KILL the club by creating more and more stringent laws. Once they created a law prohibiting the club building a boat crane on city property. So we created a concrete base 2 feet OFFSHORE, and placed it there. they were pissed as hell but nothing they could do, as it was now a DNR issue.

Now they consider us a jewel of the city. The land our club owns with probably worth 10 million dollars. If it was (along with MYC and SWC) not there, of course the sailing would suffer. It's all about access.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Scott,
I can only give my opinion on that and the reasons I came to that opinion. I will let those concerned, sort through and decide if they agree or disagree. Money in an area has a clear tendency to change the area it goes into. Funny how many places that are "best" attract money only to have its consequent development render it undesirable. Eventually, those who moved there and can still afford to go elsewhere for their amusement, then do so.

In New Hampshire, it is a noted phenomenon that people from Boston choose to retire to the "simple country" life in "New Hampshire" then, they get involved in local politics only to push for the same restrictive regulations and rules they left the city to get away from, just so they don't have to live on an unpaved road populated with trailers and junk cars that had been perfectly happy where they were before the Boston transplant came along.

Oh well. I hail originally from Florida where the condo association is king.

- Will (Dragonfly)
"Nobody goes there any more, it's too crowded!"
--Yogi Berra

Oct 30, 2017
Caliber 40 LRC Lake Pueblo
someone suggested NM saying elephant butte was the only place they knew...
There is lake Navaho on the northern border. They actually have a rental fleet and sailing school, Navaho is also large enough to count as the largest lake in Colorado (a small finger of it extends into Colorado)

As a new sailor on a lake, inland lake sailing is fine with me for now, but I am already wishing for more room to roam. This weekend we had wind running the length of the lake at 15-20 kt and were actually able to run the length of the lake with only one jybe.

That said if you grew up sailing the seas I could see where a quite lake might be nice if the cruising bug has burned out.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Being a New Jersey resident, I do sail Barnegat Bay that is where my year round slip is (actually on the Toms River). My type of sailing is extremely leisurely, with stops at Water Street and Waters edge. Both of which are watering holes. I have sailed the Keys and a bit on the Chesapeake. Oops I forgot to mention the BVI.
So I guess I would have to say that my best sailing spot would be any location with a watering hole and a nice spot to anchor for the night. Guess I am not a very serious sailor.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Has anyone mentioned Alaska? Never sailed there but I shiver thinking about the cold.
"Everyone complains about the weather but no one does anything about it." Mark Twain.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Has anyone mentioned Alaska? Never sailed there but I shiver thinking about the cold.
"Everyone complains about the weather but no one does anything about it." Mark Twain.
I lived in Anchorage from 69 to 71. Could not imagine sailing there. But I guess you can.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
No mention of Colorado? Most sailing is in thin air so gusty and the higher you go, the gustier it gets. Lightning storms and Cold.. But.. I have just enjoyed the heck out of sailing there, no place I would rather call home base.

etornado4s.jpg

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
No mention of Colorado? Most sailing is in thin air so gusty and the higher you go, the gustier it gets. Lightning storms and Cold.. But.. I have just enjoyed the heck out of sailing there, no place I would rather call home base.

View attachment 148072
Did you take that picture? From your boat??? Holy moly!!!!

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I took that in August 2008 (almost 10 years ago) from the same old Mac 26S I have now. Same dog I have now down below napping. Why yes, I did seriously soil my underwear.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
No mention of Colorado?
I've sailed Lake Dillon and Cherry Creek. Was different for me as it was the first lake sailing I had done it was fun but too damn cold.

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
I took that in August 2008 (almost 10 years ago) from the same old Mac 26S I have now. Same dog I have now down below napping. Why yes, I did seriously soil my underwear.
Yet you had the presence of mind to take that spectacular photo. Well done!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I was gonna say I hope you were wearing your brown pants!

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
In Hawaii they wear less than that. Was (may still be) a good place to be young, stupid and irresponsible.
I was young and irresponsible in Hawai'i many years ago. I didn't get out sailing but I did take a ride in a submarine.
Here in Ontario, sailing in my home town is limited to a 24 mile long lake which is frozen for 4 months a year. We do have great facilities and a few good anchorages and very competitive racing fleets. Still, I prefer sailing on Lake Ontario, mostly out of Kingston which has great open water sailing to the West and hundreds of great anchorages, nooks and crannies to the East.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
In Hawaii they wear less than that.
Here in Ontario, sailing in my home town is limited to a 24 mile long lake which is frozen for 4 months a year.
And, I'll bet you wear quite a bit more in Ontario than in Hawaii. Can/should we expand our comments and opinions to other countries, regions, provinces, etc.? I'm interested in visiting Hudson Bay someday. It's a long way to trailer and Google maps shows about 1 road to get there. What an adventure, orca, polar bears, isolation for days and days, incredible beauty, very limited facilities. Wild!

- Will (Dragonfly)