Admiral's Galley..12502

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
2 pc 4/4x6"x6' sapele, a pc of scrap sandstone corian....damn, not a square/plumb/level 90*angle in a boat!
Copied this concept from an old post which I thought was a good galley mod (if one must have one in a C22 '84)...fits like a glove against stbd bulkhead forward right @ the cushion break...stowage in tilt out drawer front for Gene's Iwatani grill and utensils in plastic containers, doubles as a working shelf...coupla more coats of varnish then install and on to more important stuff... Admiral is pleased...

Galley3.jpg
Galley2.JPG
Galley1.JPG
Galley4.jpg
Galley5.JPG
Galley6.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Wow, nice woodworking there. Looks very professional.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
thx mates....

LRail...wood throughout is Sapele (pronounced sa-pee-lee), including the skeleton frame, (similar in characteristics to mahogany, dense, nice grain, holds up well, have used it for custom exterior doors for many years in place of mahogany...way less expensive than teak or mahogany, likes varnish too.)

Kermit...well, it's a balancing act...usually in her favor!

ilance

May 19, 2017
Catalina 22 Medford, Or
I've got something really close to this made in teak......still not sure if I'm going to put it back in, or sell it. Not counting the talented labor that was obviously involved here.....what are galleys worth on the used market? Seems like there's a lot of custom versions......

Beautiful work rp! I wish I had that gift. Your Admiral did well.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
ilance asked "what are galleys worth on the used market?"

...from my limited experience, 'bout same as a used porta-pottie!
Whatever they are, they are boat specific, user specific....maybe worth something for parts & pieces only IMO....(most C22ers don't want 'em...especially the slide out factory versions)....best to defer to the Admiral on this, as I obviously have and fabricate what suits your (her) needs (happy wife/happy life cliché)....and keep a Magma or similar in reserve!

Last edited:

ilance

May 19, 2017
Catalina 22 Medford, Or
Agreed: I feel guilty......as someone with obvious talent with wood (that I do NOT have!) has made some really nice storage thingies and a custom galley. I have zero use for the galley......I'm a BBQ and camp stove person, and need the bed space.

Guess the galley and spare mainsail will find a home on eBay.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
you're on the right track...had a galley in the last boat (bout same size as a C22), used a magma on the rail 90% of the time, that'll likely be the case with this one....but, gotta keep the Admiral happy!

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Very nice work!! I have some Sapele grips for a Colt pistol to replace the original walnut ones and they're gorgeous!!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Very nice work!! I have some Sapele grips for a Colt pistol to replace the original walnut ones and they're gorgeous!!
Slim, you betcha! have done some 1911 grips from sapele in the past, great wood to work with and finishes up nicely, grain really pops!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I think that's the same wood Albin used for these bulkheads. It's gorgeous. I'm afraid to varnish it, for fear I'll screw it up! Who knows what oils etc may have been used on it in the past.

@rpludwig, what do you think of that Corian? Easy enough to work with? The Admiral wants new countertops in the Vega ... :doh:

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Gene,
That Alpin interior looks sweet!...and that v-berth is obviously more workable than the C22....head room there at least!
Your wood could very well be sapele, or similar from the looks of the grain pattern. It's in great shape, I wouldn't varnish it, would probably try some teak oil or even a good furniture polish to keep it ship-shape (test in inconspicuous place first).

Regarding Corian, fairly eze to work with, treat it like a hard-hard wood, cuts with normal woodworking tools, table saw, chop saw, router, files, sandpaper, etc., just be sure to start with fresh blades/bits, go slow and DON'T cut/leave any perfectly square inside cuts (as in a sink cutout)... be sure to leave a slight radius as square corners are subject to cracking the top over time (use a router). It's fairly heavy, but at 1/2" thick, not much heavier than a laminate/mdf top. Wear dust mask.

Go to a solid surface fabricator for the material, depending on what you need size wise, scraps, cutoffs, sink cutouts (typ 33x22), etc., are usually to be found on the cheap. You will find that most top shops are doing granite these days, so Corian (or similar solid surface products) have lost tremendous market share. As to use, don't put a scalding hot pot on it (use a hot pad), don't cut or chop directly on it as it will scratch (we use those cheap white nylon cutting boards), but then again scratches can be sanded out. Unlike granite it is not porous so it will not harbor food bacteria and red wine doesn't stain it (my fav property!)

Was in the business back in the day, so I am well familiar with it's use/pros/cons. I find it perfect for sailboat applications, no underlying mdf to absorb moisture.

Hope this helps some, sorry for the length of post!
Ron

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I've always said that Granite counters are for people who never cook. More of a "show kitchen", then functional. Solid surfacing material beats in many ways.

I'm a bit of utilitarian type and prefer stainless, like a professional kitchen.
I'm still working on convincing my wife to do that in the house. I kept our C22's wood look, but I have a stainless steel surface under the stove, and if the surface by the sink gets too rough looking I'll use stainless there.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
That's some great info, Ron, thank you! I realized quickly I was listening to a pro! :thumbup:

Gene,
That Alpin interior looks sweet!...and that v-berth is obviously more workable than the C22....head room there at least!
Your wood could very well be sapele, or similar from the looks of the grain pattern. It's in great shape, I wouldn't varnish it, would probably try some teak oil or even a good furniture polish to keep it ship-shape (test in inconspicuous place first).

Regarding Corian, fairly eze to work with, treat it like a hard-hard wood, cuts with normal woodworking tools, table saw, chop saw, router, files, sandpaper, etc., just be sure to start with fresh blades/bits, go slow and DON'T cut/leave any perfectly square inside cuts (as in a sink cutout)... be sure to leave a slight radius as square corners are subject to cracking the top over time (use a router). It's fairly heavy, but at 1/2" thick, not much heavier than a laminate/mdf top. Wear dust mask.

Go to a solid surface fabricator for the material, depending on what you need size wise, scraps, cutoffs, sink cutouts (typ 33x22), etc., are usually to be found on the cheap. You will find that most top shops are doing granite these days, so Corian (or similar solid surface products) have lost tremendous market share. As to use, don't put a scalding hot pot on it (use a hot pad), don't cut or chop directly on it as it will scratch (we use those cheap white nylon cutting boards), but then again scratches can be sanded out. Unlike granite it is not porous so it will not harbor food bacteria and red wine doesn't stain it (my fav property!)

Was in the business back in the day, so I am well familiar with it's use/pros/cons. I find it perfect for sailboat applications, no underlying mdf to absorb moisture.

Hope this helps some, sorry for the length of post!
Ron

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I've always said that Granite counters are for people who never cook. More of a "show kitchen", then functional. Solid surfacing material beats in many ways..
I cook like crazy, and love my granite tops. Just get a really busy pattern, that doesn't show dirt/stains. Below is very similar to my kitchen. I think granite might be too heavy for boat use.

granite.jpg

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
That's some great info, Ron, thank you! I realized quickly I was listening to a pro! :thumbup:
Gene, you don't need to be a pro to work with corian (although the corian folks would like to think so!)...back in the day we had to license and train the fabricators, not so much these days. Pick up a scrap and mess with it (make a small cutting board with a simple roundover edge for fun), a router is your best friend, (but don't let it get away from you), just common sense, measure thrice/cut once, and get the Admiral taken care of!!!