Swim Step Ladder/Lag Bolt Question - Revised

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
I plan on installing a folding/telescoping on the swimstep on my H376 this weekend. I'll be using 4200 as sealant/adhesive plus SS Lag bolts. I always get a little "nervous" drilling new holes in my boat.
My question is: With the lag bolts should I use flat washers, lock washers or both? What length bolt would Y'all suggest? (I don't know the thickness of the fiberglass).
Thanks. Bob

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Bob, I suspect you want SS Machine Screw bolts of adequate size for the task (not lag bolts).
You will want to use a backer of some sort (starboard, plywood, or self made epoxy board - your choice Checkout the Practical Sailor report on backing boards).
I prefer to use Starboard backing (inside the boat), a fender washed and a locking washer, then a nut sized for the bolt.
Can not tell you where to put the hole, I would locate it where it serves the purpose for the ladder and I can access the inside of the boat to secure the nut. The hole on the ladder attachment should give you a good size for the bolt diameter.

I hate drilling holes in my boat as well. Somethings just got to happen. Good luck.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 376 Annapolis MD
What make and model ladder are you going to use? The mounting points (lateral or vertical) on your new ladder are going to determine what you can do on a 376. Also check first to see if you have clearance for the swing down step when the ladder is in the stowed position; there is very little space.

allan

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Please not Starboard (polyethelene) for anything high-load. It will look pretty for a while, but then it will distort, flow, and even crack over time. The fitting will loosen. Fiberglass, stainless, aluminum, or extra-heavy (NOT standard--at least 2.5 mm thick) fender washers.

If the glass is cored, he will need to seal the core.

(PS has a follow-up article scheduled, this time covering some washer-related alternatives.)

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
What make and model ladder are you going to use? The mounting points (lateral or vertical) on your new ladder are going to determine what you can do on a 376. Also check first to see if you have clearance for the swing down step when the ladder is in the stowed position; there is very little space.

allan
It's a folding 3step telescope ladder. About 1.5" high. Good point on the swing-down step. It will be close. I didn't measure that.

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Cabinet catch for many Hunters

These catches were common on Hunters from the Legend-era through today's Marlow-Hunters. We keep a large stock on hand for emergency shipments or just getting spares.
See the product

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
Boat 1.JPG Boat 2.JPG Attached are Ladder Pics. I have not installed yet. The ladder is about 12-14" wide. Is it OK to use 2 separate mounting backers, one under each mounting arm. The glass in that area appears to be about 1/4-3/8" thick. I can get under it to mount a backing plate. I was considering 1/2" or 3/4" Marine Plywood. And of course 4200 on both sides to seal and help secure.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
This is the same ladder as on my boat. It's ok except when climbing out of the water one's toes are squished against the hull. OK so long as you move quickly step to step. The stand off is a bit small.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
If it were me, and it can fit, I'd use a single piece of ply across both attach points - the more surface bearing against the hull, the better (it seems to me). My 23 has the motor mounts and swim platform/ladder backed with simple 2X4's (it came that way when I bought it used). Has not been a problem. If you use ply, I'd at minimum seal the edges so water does not wick in, and if you want, the surfaces. I think I'd use epoxy, like West System, which is what I did for a chain plate support bulkhead I just replaced. But I'd seal the wood, not glue it to the hull.