No emergency tiller... but then again... no emergency... yet!

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
The little port below the slatted seat in the cockpit looks to me like it's an access to the rudder shaft. That pin across the shaft opening looks like I'm supposed to slip an emergency rudder device over it.
DID I GET THAT RIGHT? WHAT DO I WIN???? :)
The PO told me he thought the PO before him installed the little port. From looking around the site here, looks like it's a factory job!

I have no emergency tiller handle, seen one a member built back in 2013.
I can build one, I'm sure... but what do you all recommend for materials?
Once I make those slots in the end to accommodate the pin in the rudder shaft, I'd want my e-tiller to be strong enough to hold up to some major leverage right?
Handle length? I know I'll have the wheel to contend with unless I remove it.

Just want to do it right. Thanks
DSC_4062.JPG
DSC_4063.JPG

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Looks sorta like my old H 30 C's set-up.

There is supposed to be an aluminum tube that fits the hole with a slot cut in the lower end that fits the pin you see. The upper end of the tube has a welded post that is shaped exactly as the wheel post that you actually fit the wheel over to use to steer. There are pics in the archives of this set-up.
A special tiller could be made from scratch that will work without removing the wheel. I made mine from 1.25 in. SS tubing shaped as a triangle with a key way welded at one corner that fit the post. You would also have to make the post and tall enough to clear the seat elevation.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
For an emergency tiller there is no need for it to turn straight (fore-aft) like a traditional tiller. Many emergency tillers are shaped like a T to stay clear of wheels and the like.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I had a Hunter37 wheel steering system fail a number of years ago. It was a Level 3 FUBAR situation in 25kts gusting to 32. Until we got the sails loose we were broached and pinned, drifting to a lee shore. Luckily I had inquired about the location of the emergency tiller from the owner. So here are some observations.
  • When your complicated wheel steering system parts or otherwise fail your situation is similar to having lost your rudder. In fact worse when your rudder locks to on side and begins to drag sending you into lee helm.
  • Your wheel steering system makes use of a quadrant or steering arm, and a large diameter steering wheel to greatly increase your leverage on the rudder. Your emergency tiller will have little to none of the mechanical advantage.
  • On many production boats the emergency tiller is grossly undersized and when fitted to the rudder post is extremely difficult to use.
When first fitted I found the emergency tiller to be immovable. I mistakenly thought that the rudder was jammed, and in fact it may have been jammed against the stops. I could not steer by hand! Steering took to BIG men, one on either side of the ET braced against the cockpit sides, feet pushing on what looked like a big tire iron. It was too small, too short. In the end we were able to fashion a dock line into a steering line wrapped around the ET and led to the primary winches. We then steered with the winches. Our sail was over and we motored into port for some difficult repairs on a badly neglected steering system.

On my own boat I have plans to have a much improved emergency tiller fabricated. It will be at least two parts. One to bring the ET shaft above the wheel, and an extension to allow lots more leverage, and the ability to move the tiller handle left or right depending on tack. Sorta like a socket breaker bar. I will still plan to wrap a line on it and direct a steering line to my primary winches. I also have contingency to mount the ET, center the rudder and steer the boat with my emergency Galerider drogue steering system instead.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Steering took to BIG men, one on either side of the ET braced against the cockpit sides, feet pushing on what looked like a big tire iron.
:plus:
When I found mine (for my rudder size) I was first shocked, then impressed. It is OEM.
It is a ≈2" carbon steel pipe "L" shaped for the tiller arm (called lever arm) has a welded hand grip, slot cut for matching cross bar (in you pict) on the rudder, and angle brace. I also located my gusher pump handle. The tiller arm does clear the helm wheel.

Wow, as Gunni noted, imagined holding course in heavy seas and hand pumping your bilge a same time.:yikes:

I can send a picture of my ET if you want to down size it for your boat.
Jim...

PS: The key to design is the "lever arm" distance, but I would maximize it to just clear the helm. BTW I do a annual inspection and maintenance of my steering. It has been mainly visual and a dab of chain lube.

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Cabinet catch for many Hunters

These catches were common on Hunters from the Legend-era through today's Marlow-Hunters. We keep a large stock on hand for emergency shipments or just getting spares.
See the product

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
FYI, upon inspection the mode of failure on the steering system (believe it was Edson ) was at the chain-cable connection. The chain link that connected to the cable was badly deformed on both sides, one had parted. Something bad had happened to that steering system which I believe a regular, or post incident inspection would have detected.

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
Thanks everyone! I'll take any pics offered too.
I'll go back and look around in the files some more, as well as more poking, prodding, crawling in around the boat to see if I can find this misplaced weight.... err... E-Tiller... ;)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
"No emergency tiller... but then again... no emergency... yet!"
I hope you didn't jinx yourself. It's good luck to spit in the ocean before you sail.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Just get a long enough tube that fits into the top of the rudder shaft and cut a slot into it then at the top drill a hole to run a shaft through it. The length of the shaft handle is determined by the wheel or other obstructions. Usually heavy and cumbersome steering but much better and safer than none.

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
First clean the boat. I mean damn thats dirty!
Yeah... I agree!
It's the cockpit that's in the worst condition as you can see.
I'm mainly concentrating on the electrical systems at the moment... but cleaning the deck might provide a nice break from time-to-time

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I went to the boat to get my ET and picture for you. Glad I did, it had started to rust. Going to sand and paint then send pict. That way no "wise crackers" will tell me to paint it first.

Tip: Even algae and mold have to live too.:stir:

It is 2" vertical/shaft, steel pipe welded to 1" pipe, tiller arm.

Glad I did search, discovered a bunch of stuff from Previous Owner, still trying to figure out what functions they serve. Xmas every day.:)
Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have a heave 5 ft long tiller stowed in the aft lazerett. Can not see how it could be used with the binnacle and wheel in place. You need a low right angle setup to be able to steer. Also you may need cable cutters to clear the wheel quadrant out of the way to use the emergency system.

It will need some thinking as to how to deploy such a system in an emergency.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Ok, we sanded and sprayed with rust neutralizer/primer and still needs a finish coat.
No wise cracks...;)

EmergencyTiller.jpg

RuddrEndSlot.jpg

The working end is 2.5" (4.5 inches long) with the slot cut and fits over the rudder bar. You will have to figure your size.

The ET and the gusher pump handle have "broom snaps" to stow without banging around.
StowedET.jpeg

Maybe someone can tell me why the (non hull number) stenciled number are for in this Port Lazarette.

Finally the 1 inch pipe tiller arm clears the helm and has some welded rings to tie the rudder on a course (manual strain reducers). Tiller horizontal length is 28" and height was also 28"

We stow our emergency lines on top of the ET, which are shown in pict 1.

Good luck...
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I forgot the picture of the welded tie off rings.
TieRings.jpg

Also my son-in-law tried to move the ET and couldn't budge it. Why? Nothing on the autopilot chain or rudder cable was broken. So no ET steering while main steering works.
Jim...

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
What model boat do you have?

Jeff

The little port below the slatted seat in the cockpit looks to me like it's an access to the rudder shaft. That pin across the shaft opening looks like I'm supposed to slip an emergency rudder device over it.
DID I GET THAT RIGHT? WHAT DO I WIN???? :)
The PO told me he thought the PO before him installed the little port. From looking around the site here, looks like it's a factory job!

I have no emergency tiller handle, seen one a member built back in 2013.
I can build one, I'm sure... but what do you all recommend for materials?
Once I make those slots in the end to accommodate the pin in the rudder shaft, I'd want my e-tiller to be strong enough to hold up to some major leverage right?
Handle length? I know I'll have the wheel to contend with unless I remove it.

Just want to do it right. ThanksView attachment 135554 View attachment 135555