Stereo speaker upgrade time suck...rant

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
the whole project was done with gloves on
You need to have more specificity to your post. How can we truly measure the complexity of the task.
There are gloves...gloves 1.jpg
Then there of GLOVES...Gloves 2.jpg

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
My marina friends always bring at least a couple of beers for themselves :biggrin:

Oct 22, 2014
They are a rare Breed. Maybe extinct. At least out here,and we love them.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
God help us. Any project I start I have learned to just say "It will take as long as it takes" to the Admiral and she makes sure there are enough beers in the fridge to keep me and the marina friends who stop by well supplied....and thanks for this post...I needed a good belly laugh.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
More like these gloves.... taken on and off a thousand times so as to avoid total frustration .... but all is good now ... sitting back planning my next project waiting for the snow to melt ... but I have a funny feeling nor'easter Stella dropped in last night and added to the snow pile

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
she makes sure there are enough beers in the fridge to keep me and the marina friends.....well supplied
Kimble, You need a trip to the Pacific Northwest with a planned stop over in Everett.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
I'll check with the Admiral. Right now we are in the midst of the outfitting and planning our mid April trip to Hawaii...and no we aren't sailing there this time.

Oct 22, 2014
Hawaii and warm water... Why would you wish that on your self... You could become so spoiled...
Hawaii Vacations.jpg

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
Astonishingly, the only job I've done on my boat (or house, actually) that took the planned amount of time was replacing my cockpit speakers. Every other frigging job has taken an insane amount of time. I don't think any of us would actually start a job if it weren't for this inability to learn from our experiences. It's called optimism in some circles, but it's probably really stupidity.

I'm relocating my batteries to under the aft berth and updating the wiring. I should be done in a week or so.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Happiness is, the job is finished. My shallow depth replacements arrived and the whole job is done now. All the speakers are 6.5" from 'Wetsounds', 2.6" depth (2 pairs) down below, and a higher power handling 3.1" depth pair in the cockpit. The sound improvement is massive over the original. Thanks everyone for sharing their stories and the moral support. This thread provided some good laughs for my wife and I.

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
I have been playing with the best way to install speakers in my cockpit. I am planning on making custom coaming boxes which will accept a 6" waterproof speaker. I am fortunate that there is plenty of room between the coaming and hull. Look at the sketch to see where I am going with this, 1/4" ply wrapped on the outside with glass and epoxy. epoxy and varnish interior and trim.

Attachments

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
What speaker brand did you get? Are they square like the originals? I put a set of JLs in the cockpit but the new ones don't cover the old screw holes. I'm concerned that will be the case below decks but those would be visible.

Thanks!

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Hi Scott,

Couldn't find square. Also many replacement speakers require interior cut holes larger than the OEM Seaworthy. Wetsounds had the best that fit/sound quality I could find locally without needing to make the original cutout larger. For inside the cabin I used these...

https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/SW-65_spec.html

This is the speaker that I used for the four interior speakers. The cut out dimensions are the same, and the 2.6" depth isn't an issue on any of the tighter spots on the interior. The only thing you will need to do is drill new mounting holes (1/8th) as nobody makes a standard mounting 6.5" speaker mounting pattern. I just held the speaker in place, and drilled using the speaker as the template. Drill one hole, mount one screw, that will hold the speaker in place, then tackle the other three with a stable platform. They have a cardboard template in the box as well, but I found using the speaker works better so that the angle of the hole is 100% correct when drilling. I ended up having 1 of 4 of the old mounting holes just visible when I was done. I have a buddy with a 3D plastics printer who is going to make a quarter inch wide ring that will match the speaker cover in colour and go around the speaker to trim it and cover the one hole exposed.

For outside I used this pair....

https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/SW-650
https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/SW-650
They have a higher RMS rating, and are a 3.1" depth, otherwise they are identical in dimensions to the interior speakers. Mine are mounted just above the floor one the centre pedestal below the table forward of the steering wheel. At this distance they don't effect the compass but any closer they might as the magnets on these are very powerful.

It was a pricey but worthwhile upgrade if you enjoy music on board. They sound really good without amplification, but I'm considering upgrading to a new clarion stereo with one of their small 4D amplifiers (about the size of a deck of cards), to really make the system sing. I won't tackle this though until I'm done the rest of my refit items. It's been an expensive winter. :)

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Thanks Lurker great info! I love the sound of the JLs on the cockpit compared to the seaworthys it's a huge upgrade. I am replacing the original kenwood with a fusion UD-750. It is really cool. Multi zones, NEMA 2000 and a mobile app. Check it out.

Scott

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Hi Scott, That looks like a really nice unit, but too many boating units for me this year. I think I may end up with the Sony MEX-M100BT as it has a built in 160 watt class D amp and should be the easiest to install for the sound quality and not break the bank.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
In my opinion, stay away from sony. Our 2004 came with outdoor rated sony speakers in the arch. At less than 5 years the cones were rotted out. For the sake of simplicity I replaced with the same speakers, 4 years later cones are again shredded. I replaced with some infinity outdoor that would fit the hole. They have held up 2 years....but it is too soon to recommend them as we are not at 5 years yet. I will never buy sony again ever. They are just marketing, and ship garbage. The speakers are connected to a sony amp/cd that has also been problematic. On the other hand the 321 bose has been a pleasure to use and listen too.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Hi Scott, That looks like a really nice unit, but too many boating units for me this year. I think I may end up with the Sony MEX-M100BT as it has a built in 160 watt class D amp and should be the easiest to install for the sound quality and not break the bank.
I certainly get that! I am running through the bucks before the season has even started! I figured the current stereo was a 1998 so I'm thinking this could be the last one! :)

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Do you have any pictures of the Saloon speakers? I'm curious if yours is set the same way as mine. My speakers come out without removing any cabinetry.

Thanks