Do you separate the masthead light and the all around light?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thanks. Right there in front of me. Now you know why my wife doesn't send me to the basement to look for stuff.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I have a round 360 white light on top of the mast. I also have a forward to side white light about 12" down from that. I have a white stern light on the hull. I have a red and green light forward on the hull.
The two mast lights were wired together is why I asked. I think they need to be separate, otherwise my anchor light is lit while motoring.
Just a few small comments for clarification: (or to add to the confusion)
If your running lights are on.... red/green and stern white..... then you are not at anchor. Even if you have your masthead 360 lit, you will be identified as not at anchor, so running lights with the all around light would indicate being under power......

You don't need to display an anchor light if you are in a designated anchorage or outside a marked channel.

An anchor light can be mounted anywhere on the boat that allows a 360 deg view. Hanging on a halyard/forestay above the foredeck, for example, Or hanging from the end of the boom. It just needs to be visible from 1nm.

So you can use a lantern if you like, battery powered or otherwise.

Apr 22, 2009
Pearson P-31 Quantico
A few months ago, GOOD OLD BOAT magazine ran an article where you use a on, off, on switch and a couple of diodes so that, switching negative and positive, you can use two wires to select and run either, but not both, lights, or have them off. In advance, as I did not read all replies, sorry if I repeat what another might have already noted.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
A few months ago, GOOD OLD BOAT magazine ran an article where you use a on, off, on switch and a couple of diodes so that, switching negative and positive, you can use two wires to select and run either, but not both, lights, or have them off. In advance, as I did not read all replies, sorry if I repeat what another might have already noted.
Russ posted the following on a Mac Board a number of years ago...

... I'm assuming it is probably what GOOD OLD BOAT also posted,

Sumner
===================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That diagram will work just dandy. If you use LEDs, you just have to make sure you align the LED like the diodes, shown, or else both will come on in one position, and either in the other!

Several commercial lights (NASA Clipper) take advantage of that simple setup.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
While the argument is made that somehow a masthead makes you more visible in the open ocean, I can assure you that your disembodied masthead light disappears into the coastline twinkle of lights. You fade into the mess of radio towers, building lights and anchor fields. And it is those coastal approaches that represent your best chance for collision. As Capta notes, night sailors are scanning the water ahead, not the horizon.

In a busy anchorage it also helps to augment your anchor light by switching on your deck light, and turn your deck into a well-lit reflective surface. One of these solar lanterns hung high in the cockpit will really distinguish you as an anchored boat...and not someone shoreline porch lamp.
http://store.marinebeam.com/portable-waterproof-solar-inflatable-led-lamp/

Nov 8, 2010
night sailors are scanning the water ahead, not the horizon.
Some validity to this 'clutter' point for sure. But not this. At 1000 feet, the angle between the water and a masthead light at 40 feet is 2.2 degrees.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yes, your mast head lights are right up there with the 40 anchor-lit boats you are sailing 1000 feet in front of.

Nov 8, 2010
Yes, your mast head lights are right up there with the 40 anchor-lit boats you are sailing 1000 feet in front of.
Sometimes.

At the end of the day, someone's gotta see your light(s). That requires them looking. If the light is visible and noticeable from their vantage point, that's about all you can do. Then they have to do their job. Will there be times where one setup is better than the other. Sure. And the reverse is just as true. For every time a high one is 'lost' in anchor lights, a deck set is lost is shoreline clutter. The key is to stay vigilant. And make an intelligent chose regarding what is best for you. Thinking a one-size-fits all is silly.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
You need the mast head light to properly indicate to others that you are anchored. This is a required signal that has been used for many years and still in use today. In poor visibility conditions it is usually the closest light that shines the brightest. Any experienced mariner will be scanning the sky for anchor lights when approaching an anchorage. If other lights are used care should be exercised that they do not send a confusing message. Deck lights seem to me quite appropriate in conjunction with the anchor light but nothing will protect against an inexperienced or impaired person in a fast boat failing to see an anchored boat.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I assume it is heresy to ask the question, but what is the downside of illuminating your masthead tri-color and your bow and stern navigation lights simultaneously during a nighttime sailing situation in a coastal area where large ships are present? If it gets noticed one way or the other, what is the harm?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I assume it is heresy to ask the question, but what is the downside of illuminating your masthead tri-color and your bow and stern navigation lights simultaneously during a nighttime sailing situation in a coastal area where large ships are present? If it gets noticed one way or the other, what is the harm?
It's not legal.
It will be confusing. Is it one boat with 2 sets of lights? Is there a large boat right behind a small boat?

Nov 8, 2010
What dlochner said. Dangerous. Most advanced certification programs make you ID light patterns based on random aspect presentations in the DARK. Cause that's how life works.

Nov 8, 2010
You need the mast head light to properly indicate to others that you are anchored. This is a required signal that has been used for many years and still in use today.
Not really true. When anchoring you need to exhibit a 360 degree white light. It's does not need to be masttop, or even mounted on the mast.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It's not legal.
It will be confusing. Is it one boat with 2 sets of lights? Is there a large boat right behind a small boat?
Understood that it is not legal, and I imagine that it could get the offender in trouble if it was brought to the attention of authorities. I think the confusion was part of my reason for asking ... confusion could get the watch paying closer attention until they realize it is just one boat. What difference would it make if the watch thought there might be 2 boats in the same direction if it got them to pay closer attention. What difference would it make when they realize it is just 1 boat. It shouldn't make any difference in their decision making process. The one set of signals would only mimic the other set of signals and be in very close proximity, so there would be no distinction in how boats around them should react. The lights wouldn't indicate conflicting positions. It would look like one small boat with waterline lights and another small boat with masthead lights right next to each other going in the same direction and at the same speed. Why would that make any difference when it is discovered that it is just one boat? It may be misleading, but I don't see how it could lead to a dangerous crossing. Just give me one good example where it would be dangerous ... ;) (that's a challenge)
I know it is a silly question. I rarely see lights that are that distinguished, especially when they are head on. The red and green bow lights usually bleed together, as would a masthead tri-color.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2015
Catalina Capri 26 Eagle mountain lake
Not really true. When anchoring you need to exhibit a 360 degree white light. It's does not need to be masttop, or even mounted on the mast.
Except on a sailboat unless your 360* all round masthead light is not a top the mast it will not be seen from a full 360* arc.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I know I'm getting myself in trouble here but in heavy fog like we get here in the PNW. I worry about two different types of folks seeing me 1) large ships with the bridge 100' off the water and 2) the pleasure craft. In our fog my mas may be in clear air but I can't tell at water level. If I only have the bow bi-color on pleasure boats Stan ashamed of seeing my light, the container ship not a chance. Conversely the container ship might see the mast head bi-color that would be totally invisible to the pleasure craft. I doubt I would be charged with a violation in that situation for having both on. As I said earlier I do what ever I think will give me the best visibility