After market Volvo Penta parts?

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Got a shock today. I went to Bristol to get Volvo oil filter for 2002, price is up to $25 each and the water impeller is $65.50 that's before tax.

Does someone know of a site that sells after market parts for Volvo Penta 2002?

I found out that you can substitute the oil filter with Fram PH3614 for $9 but what's the substitute for the impeller?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Does someone know of a site that sells after market parts for Volvo Penta 2002
I had Napa, AutoZone, etc. do a cross reference on my VP MD22L. Napa thought they had it. Nope. The problem is British Threads vs. USA standard. I bought 3 @ $15 to help save shipping. but they are OEM. Mine are now $17 each.

I thought about a thread converter/adapter because there is space available on mine, but found the difference between the Napa and OEM was $8 once per season.:confused:

Try this OEM link...
http://www.volvopentastore.com
Jim...

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Careful- I tried a Fram PH3614 since Fram claimed it was equivalent. I could not get it to properly thread onto my MD22L-B. Somehow the threads seemed to be off just a little. I also had the same problem years ago with a Carquest brand filter. Maybe it is a British threads vs US threads, but if that were true why would Fram claim they were equivalent?

As for the raw water impeller, just look at the existing impeller. It probably has a Johnson or a Jabsco number.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I use a Napa Gold filter on my MD17C. Napa (in store) did the conversion from Volvo p/n to both Napa Gold and Wix. About $5 apiece....

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Maybe it is a British threads vs US threads
I didn't really check, but noticed NAPA's gasket and filter holes matched, but like you...
the threads seemed to be off just a little
BSPT vs NPT is about 1 thread more at the same diameter, thus I speculated why it took a half turn and stopped.
_______
Impeller does change with Johnson, but the PO left me 5 spare impeller aboard. So I probably been successfully changing a Johnson for a Johnson.
Jim...

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Tried Fram PH3614 on a V.P.2002 seems to fit well with no oil leak at 3000 rpm under load for an hour. I believe the thread is metric that why it fits.
The only exception is a tad too tall for the hand crank to clear without touching. I've never use the hand crank. Looking for a way to modify the hand crank by 1/16 of an inch.

Yes, I'll check the Jabsco / Johnson number. Good idea .. Rich. Thanks.

The OEM link is US only. V.P. is very protective of territory. There is only 1 dealer near my area.
http://www.volvopentastore.com

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Finally I did it. Use PH3614 for V.P.2002 and modified the hand crank to clear the height of the new oil filter.
VP2002Oil.jpg

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
Good info. I replaced the o-ring on the water inlet tube at the water pump on my VP2002 this spring. A previous owner had used a cut off piece of hose for an o-ring. Next year I'll need to replace the raw water impeller.

JerryA

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The three Stooges would have just hit the top of the filter with a hammer to dimple it in.:banghead:

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
BSPT vs NPT is about 1 thread more at the same diameter, thus I speculated why it took a half turn and stopped. Jim...
No Jim.

Oil filter threads are not pipe (BSPT or NPT) or other pipe taper form. Spin-on filter threads are straight. The misfit might be because the British Whitworth thread form is different from US National in the angle of the valley and its matching peak. Whitworth threads have an included angle of 55°. American National threads have an included angle of 60°.

In (larger sizes anyway) both straight and pipe tapered the thread count is the same for both US and British (except for 1/2" which are 1 thread different for straight threads but the same for pipe taper threads.)

The point is - the threads don't really interchange very well and won't match at all for 1/2".

Charles

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
As far as the oil filter goes, I use a WIX # 51348 on my VP 2002. Strangely it also fits my Briggs v-twin & Kholer single mowers, and my 2014 Fusion Energi. Almost one size fits all.
Seems like i also have a WIX fuel filter on the boat.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I think i would be leary of using an oil filter just because the screw threads and gasket "works". The engine mfgr specs the oil filter pressure numbers and differential numbers that dictate when the relief valve opens/closes using the proper viscosity and oil spec. I would trust the cross reference tables....

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Mark,
I used the cross reference on the car for sure. The bypass pressure is a litte low so I switched to a different one for the car. The boat already had a WIX filter on it and i just replaced it with same one. I don't remember exactly how i came up with the mower filters, I think the parts store manager crossed them for me. I will have to cross the filter for the new mower and see if it's the same.

BTW I have been cutting the filters open after changing the oil on all my motors. I do find very small bits of metal in all of them (new car, mowers, boat, diesel truck). It seems to be about the same amount of metal in each filter, more if i let the oil go longer between changes.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Same bypass pressure 12 psi with 30% more surface areas. PH3614 also used on some Japanese diesel trucks. I can't remeber which one but that was the reason it led me to try this one out.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Careful- I tried a Fram PH3614 since Fram claimed it was equivalent. I could not get it to properly thread onto my MD22L-B. Somehow the threads seemed to be off just a little. I also had the same problem years ago with a Carquest brand filter. Maybe it is a British threads vs US threads, but if that were true why would Fram claim they were equivalent?
CORRECTION: The Fram filter I attempted to use was a Fram PH7328 ( not a PH3614) for my MD22L-B. It did not fit.