Shaft anode small bubbling

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Today I drove underwater and clean ed the hull. While there I changed out the shaft anode. I noted the new anode was bubbling!!?? Really small bubbling trailing out from between the two halves anode gap. What gives?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
What gives?
Your fresh surfaced Zinc and Shaft galvanic corrosions stabilizing. If you dive a few hours later and still bubbling, you most likely have a stray marina electrical current. How badly was your old Zinc gone?
Jim...

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Your fresh surfaced Zinc and Shaft galvanic corrosions stabilizing. If you dive a few hours later and still bubbling, you most likely have a stray marina electrical current.
Upon what do you base these statements?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Upon what do you base these statements?
Master Degree in Chemical Engineering that takes two minors in chemistry, but as all advice from me, it is worth what you paid for it.;)
Galvanic corrosion is a battery "discharging". To come to "Steady state" galvanic potential from a fresh zinc and stainless shaft make take a few minutes for the new battery to arrive at steady current flow. Depends on surface area of zinc to shaft ratio, temperature and salinity of your water.
Thats why I said...
f you dive a few hours later and still bubbling
Jim...

Feb 26, 2011
Master Degree in Chemical Engineering that takes two minors in chemistry, but as all advice from me, it is worth what you paid for it.;)
Galvanic corrosion is a battery "discharging". To come to "Steady state" galvanic potential from a fresh zinc and stainless shaft make take a few minutes for the new battery to arrive at steady current flow. Depends on surface area of zinc to shaft ratio, temperature and salinity of your water.
OK, but what is off-gassing and why is the anode doing it?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
After thought...
BTW fast and a lot of bubbles suggest more just galvanic corrosion is taking place. Plus @whatfiero could be right too or additive air as the zinc oxide react away.
Jim...

Feb 26, 2011
I dont believe we are seeing trapped air escaping. I have seen anodes do this and a single stream of bubbles may last many minutes. Too long for a small air-filled void to be the source, IMHO.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Dang it you got me thinking on a Sunday no less!:yikes:
The OP is in Singapore on a 33' Hunter. I now suspect the Zinc manufacturer along with high water temperatures.

Using a good USA made zinc...
The speed to arrive at a steady galvanic current flow is based on the surface area of the Zinc and the surface area of all less Noble metals that are in electrical contact with that zinc.

So one other reason for it to have sustained bubbles could be his zinc is too small for his boat.

Tip: Weight of zinc gives you longevity or time between changes. Surface area is the key to protection of your underwater metals.
Jim...

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Ken

You need actual data.

Check the potential of the shaft. Zinc reference probe on a wire goes overboard, VOM set to volts, reference probe wire to VOM -, VOM + to the shaft. Give us the readings.

Absent actual data the ideas mentioned so far are not very useful whereas this simple test will clinch a diagnosis.

Charles

Feb 26, 2011
So while we're on the subject- on occasion I've hit a bronze prop with the wire brush and it will (the prop, not the brush) start bubbling in an idntical manner. What causes this?

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
FastBottoms

Do you know the recipe of the brush - iron, stainless, brass, whathaveyou?

Charles

Oct 29, 2005
I've been fitting this good quality Anode (not the China made stuff) and this is the first time I'm seeing off-gassing on the Anodes. The old one has about 40% left and as I brush it, it crumbles so I removed it and polish up the shaft area cleanly with steel wool. Then fit a new Anode. No problem there. Instruction on label was to tap with hammer to sit it in better. After tapping, off-gassing starts. I suppose that's due to the "Copper ball" in center of Anode touching the shaft thus improving the connections?

Oct 29, 2005
Ken
You need actual data.
Check the potential of the shaft. Zinc reference probe on a wire goes overboard, VOM set to volts, reference probe wire to VOM -, VOM + to the shaft. Give us the readings.
Absent actual data the ideas mentioned so far are not very useful whereas this simple test will clinch a diagnosis.
Charles
So this test is to see if there's any current leaking?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The old one has about 40% left and as I brush it, it crumbles
That suggests to me, 100% gone, as a protective Zinc anode. Not in electrical contact with the other metals. If you dive your boat again, and it still bubbling, then we can talk about size of anode and what Charles suggested... a complete Galvanic survey of your boat.
Jim...