Crazing Windows

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Our 310 is a 2001 Hull #52, always been up north here in Michigan or Wisconsin on the Great Lakes. (fresh water). I've owned a number of Catalina's over the years, but this is the first one that has this very vary bad Crazing of the fixed windows in the cabin, (as well as opening ports) that seems to get worst each season. We are not the original owners, and the condition existed when we bought the boat 6 years ago. (I did note that the fixed dead-lights in the hull do not have this problem)
We use only approved products to clean decks and windows, avoid all the known bad stuff, and still it's getting to the point that from inside at least it is embarrassing.
Is this a common problem with C-310 that other owners have reported? Was there an issue with material the years these boats were built? As I said I have owned a number of Catalina boats, all older then our 2001, and never had this issue?
Anyone go through the time and expense to change these out or just live with it. A friend of mine, owner of two of the H-Brand boats said it is so common on their boats they just shut the shades.

All comments are appreciated.
Russ
s/v Long Story

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
UV does that to acrylic, not much you can do about it except replace the plastic. Eventually the cracks can get so bad they'll actually leak. Ever had a plastic drinking glass do that? Same thing. Polycarbonate does not craze like that but is way more expensive, and has some other down sides as well.
Your ports that are not crazed are probably laminated glass. It can turn milky but doesn't craze or scratch.
Replacement windows are probably available from Catalina Direct, or a local plastics shop might be able to make them a little cheaper. Don't know of CD has it but a local shop can do them in tint if you like.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Hull no. 65 has the same problem too.

We are thinking about using polycarbonate. We have found we can get cheap sheets in the scrap bins of plastic/glass companies. We have gotten scraps of polycarbonate that could cover the forward hatch for less than $10. You could then use a router to make a wood template from the existing hatch and then make the new hatch. At least that is my plan, we will see how it works out.

Aug 24, 2009
I have hull #44 with the same problem
To those of you that have this same issue, anyone else plan to change then out, or just live with the issue? I priced the parts form Catalina ($80.00 each for the fixed plastic sheets) and my boat yard quoted $800.00 total job to remove and replace plus reinstall the two opening ports in Galley and Head. (Little over a boat buck)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
No to polycarbonate, this is an acrylic lense. These are critical safety items, don't re-engineer the design. Collect the hatch or port light dimensions and serial number and call the knowledgeable folks at Hatchmasters (Jack's link above). They can supply everything you need, and or rebuild them for you. I am in the process of replacing the lense in one of my Lewmar hatches. This is a simple DIY job. BTW, the Sailboat Owners store sells replacement Lewmar port light lenses at very reasonable pricing.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
"No to polycarbonate" is just an opinion. Polycarbonate = bullet proof windows. Acrylic = look.

Polycarbonate used in aircraft such as Lockheed Martin F-22 cockpit canopy, Laboratory safety goggles etc.
Polycarbonate can elongate to 100% without breaking. Acrylic can only elongate 5% and break.
Yes, Polycarbonate scratch easily. Acrylic doesn't.
As soon as you use window cleaner (Windex etc) on Acrylic it will craze. It's chemical.

I have all hatches replaced with Polycarbonate. Just be very careful ever touch it as it scratch. But it isn't too costly to replace anyway. After the first batch, I learned to replace one in a few hours. I figure I can get 5-10 years out of it which is pretty good.

May 10, 2012
Catalina 310 Bayport
Yes we have crazing on our 310 windows - 2000 hull #26. Like you we sail in the northern Great Lakes. Will watch with anticipation to see what the forums recommend. Some great info comes off these sites......just replaced our heat exchanger with the info provided.

Dec 2, 2012
Pearson 39-2 New London
I used Hatchmasters/Select Plastics to replace all 10 of my opening portholes on my Pearson 39-2, and was so happy that I brought 4 very crazed deck hatches to them the following year. I couldn't be happier with the results and the reasonable cost compared to other options.

Aug 24, 2009
Yes we have crazing on our 310 windows - 2000 hull #26. Like you we sail in the northern Great Lakes. Will watch with anticipation to see what the forums recommend. Some great info comes off these sites......just replaced our heat exchanger with the info provided.
I see there are a number of options in the responses given, in part a little mixed between the issue with the fix side ports provided by Catalina, and the replacement lenses available for ports and hatches. (those were the next item to discuss so thank you,) Hatch Masters comes up a lot and people at the marina have used them also. Good Option. Talked to Catalina and original replacements are available $80.00 each with the sealant to install. Seems that while the problem is common, most of the 310 (and others) just sort of seem to live with it. Still on the fence

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
I see there are a number of options in the responses given, in part a little mixed between the issue with the fix side ports provided by Catalina, and the replacement lenses available for ports and hatches. (those were the next item to discuss so thank you,) Hatch Masters comes up a lot and people at the marina have used them also. Good Option. Talked to Catalina and original replacements are available $80.00 each with the sealant to install. Seems that while the problem is common, most of the 310 (and others) just sort of seem to live with it. Still on the fence
Longstory

I talked to someone yesterday at the the dock about this...I agree.

paulj :hook2:

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
In my 1990 Catalina 30 i replaced all of the windows that crazed.. i did however leave the one for the head in since the crazing actually created more privacy for the ladies...