Loose stanchions

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
While prepping the boat for spring launch I noticed that two of the port stanchions are loose, not flopping around but not tight against the deck either. I would rather not deal with water leaks in the new boat. They are not attached from the top with machine screws through-bolted, before I start tearing out the overhead trying to figure them out has anyone ever done this before?

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
They are not attached from the top with machine screws through-bolted
How are they attached to the Deck then? Photo would be nice:).
Jim...

PS: I am about to rebed my stanchion thru bolts per @Maine Sail procedures. I will link his thru bolt bedding procedure using Butyl Rubber, if you figure out how they are attached.

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
Jim, that is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. There are no visible fasteners from on deck, the stanchion looks like it is stuffed in a hole molded into the deck. No screws, bolts or anything else holding it in place from the top down. It appears that the only way to get to the back of it is to start pulling apart the overhead which I am reluctant to do until I know for sure that's what I need to do.
Phil, our boat is a 2008 model. There was the original 27 (27-1) which I think was in production from the mid 70's to mid 80's, the 27-2 was a redesign with the open transom that was in production until around the mid 90's. The 27-3 started production in 2004 I believe, at least there is a 2004 in the marina next to ours. I also think it was in production until around 2013? There were three variations of the 27-3, the standard model like ours, the 27-3 E which came with an electric inboard and the 27-3X which is the racer. It comes with a retractable bowsprit and tiller instead of a wheel.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Sounds like you need to make a call to the Hunter factory and get some customer service advice.

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
It appears that the only way to get to the back of it is to start pulling apart the overhead which I am reluctant to do until I know for sure that's what I need to do.
One of the nice Hunter design features I have found on my older boat, is that...

Hunter provided access panels to all my stanchions, albeit tight and a PITA to get to them.

You can be assured that the stanchions are bolted to your boat.
Jim...

PS: A picture of deck side fit and perhaps in cabin sided picture of that stanchion would be nice to share.

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
27 interior.jpg
27 interior.jpg Well, I won't be able to get down to the boat before the weekend but thanks to mister google I did find a few photos of other boats that might give you an idea?

Attachments

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Got it, I've just never seen them described with the -1 -2 -3 designations.

You've got the rectangular base that the stanchion fits over. There are two bolts securing the base to the deck and there are nuts that are accessed from the bottom. Unlike some of the earlier base designs, there _are_ nuts... they are not tapped into encapsulated aluminum.

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Sounds like you need to make a call to the Hunter factory and get some customer service advice.
:thumbup:

Ouch! Those are hard to get, at least the bow stanchions from the web picture.

You will probably have to drop some installed items to access. The only way to tighten is from cabin side.

I chimed in because I am about to do the same with my boat. A few of mine are tough, but main ones are relatively easy. I hope someone with you boat's model can help more.
Jim...

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Craig.... I can't understand what the mystery is... it's an 8 year old boat and the manufacturer is still still in business. It ain't like the car business... Reputable yacht builders support their boats whether out of production or multiple owners. Go to the source instead of waiting for speculation or good luck to answer your question. I can't imagine the company helping you in anyway possible.... at least take the time for a phone call.

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
Joe, you must have missed the posting here about Hunter Marine ceasing to exist after 2012? The poster included a quote from the company rep saying just that and that "Marlow-Hunter" was not affiliated with boats manufactured prior to that date. So, the reality is that the manufacturer is NOT still in business.
BTW, I have contacted the company regarding a couple of other questions I had with this boat, no answer.