Outhaul

Jun 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Seattle
Can anyone help with routing my Outhaul? First time setting up my '81 C22. Not sure what previous own had set up, but I'm a rookie and it easy to confuse me. I'll try to attach pictures of both sides of my boom (having trouble adding two pictures, but I'll keep trying)

Attachments

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
The outhaul on the C-22 from the factory is pretty weak. The eye straps and the cheek block in your photos is part of the reefing system. There is some good information on outhauls the racers have developed in the C-22 Tech Manual. My out haul is another design inspired by someone else. It actually uses a gooseneck fitting on the rear of the boom and a couple turning blocks. Anyway, got off course as usual, but there should be a cleat on the port side of the boom maybe 3' or so from the rear. The outhaul line simply goes from the clew of the sail through the little pulley on the top rear of the boom, and back to the cleat to secure it.

Don
Out Haul 001.jpg
Out Haul 002.jpg
Out Haul 003.jpg

Jun 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Seattle
CaptDon,
Thanks for the input. I noticed in your photo that you had a strap that led from the clew to the boom slot. I don't have any such device, just loose footed to the Outhaul. Should I install one? What would I call it?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Don, why not just run the outhaul line through the SS eye at the clew, and loose all the stainless? Less weight, less to go wrong, and basically the same amount of friction.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
My outhaul is woefully inadequate. I need to pay attention to this thread. Love the gooseneck idea, Don!

Here were a couple ideas I saved a while back:

Sep 30, 2013
That's not what I have. The images I posted were of outhauls I was thinking about using, just pics I found in the past and saved.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Cainsoccer,
My mainsail is a full batten, loose footed sail. No boltrope along the foot, the sail only attaches on the bottom at the gooseneck and at the outhaul you see. The slug keeps it in place and prevents it from raising up. The loose footed main gives you much more adjustment potential, and the full battens give a nice sail shape, and the sail doesn't whip like a flag. Plus, the full battens make it so easy to roll the sail up when I'm done for the day, which is a better way to store the sail.

Jackdaw, I guess I missed that day in physics when they discussed the advantages of eliminating a ball bearing supported sheave because it was deemed as good as pulling a line 90 degrees around a piece or metal. Guess I could save a lot of weight and just replace all my sheaves on my running rigging with through bolts..... Can't believe the racers haven't discovered that advantage.

Don

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jackdaw, I guess I missed that day in physics when they discussed the advantages of eliminating a ball bearing supported sheave because it was deemed as good as pulling a line 90 degrees around a piece or metal. Guess I could save a lot of weight and just replace all my sheaves on my running rigging with through bolts..... Can't believe the racers haven't discovered that advantage.

Don
;^)

You show me a serious boat with a block at the mainsail clew and I'll EAT it. Why? Because there actually is not much friction for how short the line is pulled. Can't believe the cruisers haven't discovered that.

I do find it kind of funny when someone quotes some 'theory' they ostensibly learned in some class to argue against well-founded empirical evidence that something works. Sailors and boat builders the world over use line turns in eyes as 2:1s in dozens of common applications.

Did you really think that I (of all people) would just suggest that without knowing that it works??

Just trying to help. Just because they did that in the 1960s doesn't mean its still a great idea.

PS it's 180 not 90.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I'm on the fence about buying the $160 outhaul kit from C.D. or creating my own using line & blocks. I'll probably wait until I get to fully rigging so I can be hands on, I'm trying to reduce boom clutter and make sure everything works. My boom will probably get painted because of its condition, so I want to have everything mocked up, holes drilled, other holes closed with rivets, etc... test it all, then disassemble and paint the boom.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
I hate my outhaul. It gives me no leverage. Crap. Check the bank acct again!
Lane

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
My 5:1 setup is almost too much mechanical advantage but it sure is convenient and it integrates well with the topping lift and jiffy reefing line.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
You could go simple and just use the block on the top with line from sail through it and back to one of the cleats you have , can get fancy later after you get wet a few times and figure out what you want.

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina 250 CSA at Carlyle Lake
Gene - wow, what a pleasant surprise it was to see a picture of my old boom/outhaul! It worked great except if I did it again, I would move the cleat and fixed attachment farther down the boom with longer lines for more adjustment potential.
upload_2016-3-28_12-5-35.png

Sep 30, 2013
Gene - wow, what a pleasant surprise it was to see a picture of my old boom/outhaul! It worked great except if I did it again, I would move the cleat and fixed attachment farther down the boom with longer lines for more adjustment potential.
View attachment 121212
Ah, so you're the genius behind that pic! :biggrin:

What I have now is basically the outboard half, with the solid white line running straight from the cheek block to the clam cleat.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
My 5:1 setup is almost too much mechanical advantage but it sure is convenient and it integrates well with the topping lift and jiffy reefing line.

You definitely are not living up to your name. That is a lot of money and purchase for an outhaul on a 22. On my TR 30 is does a 180 to a cleat and can be pulled and tightened under sail into a pretty heavy wind by my 120 lbs wife.

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
On the contrary, I got the pair of blocks for a song and probably paid less in total than most other solutions shown in this thread. Kudos for marrying Wonder Woman. My wife has other talents ;)