Outhaul

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
On the contrary, I got the pair of blocks for a song and probably paid less in total than most other solutions shown in this thread. Kudos for marrying Wonder Woman. My wife has other talents ;)
Better used as a Cunningham if you don't have one.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Better used as a Cunningham if you don't have one.
Yea that's a TON of purchase for a 100 sqr foot mainsail. Plus all that hardware hanging off the end of your boom. If she were my boat I'd re-task that block and go 2:1 or ganged 2:2:1 on the outhaul.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
I'll give credit to Stingy Sailor for having the prettiest rigging on the high seas. Seeing his mast stepping video hints to the fact that he knows how to utilize mechanical advantage.

My competing love is the "keep it simple" philosophy. I have a love for less is more and therefore try to resist adding hardware when possible.

Lane

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
I respect everyone's opinion but let's stay on task here, boys. The OP asked about how to rig an outhaul. We're showing him options, all of them good. The main thing here is to HAVE a trimmable outhaul, any outhaul, and to know how to use it to enjoy sailing more. We can count ounces and turns elsewhere to debate the perfect outhaul.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I respect everyone's opinion but let's stay on task here, boys. The OP asked about how to rig an outhaul. We're showing him options, all of them good. The main thing here is to HAVE a trimmable outhaul, any outhaul, and to know how to use it to enjoy sailing more. We can count ounces and turns elsewhere to debate the perfect outhaul.
Sorry but I'm going to respectfully disagree. Almost everything on a boat can be done a myriad of ways, ranging from simple to complex, free to very expensive, slick to disaster.

Simply posting an idea and not discussing it not that way this forum has ever worked. We discuss things. It's how we learn. I think there are some here who just don't like to have their outhaul (and other things too probably) critiqued. As for me, if I post something and you have a option on it, please let me know.

We should take pride in our work, and know it works for us. But saying that others cannot discuss it as part of the greater good of this forum is wrong. Don't want it discussed? Don't post it.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Scottsdale, AZ
Personally, I love to see all of the variations. As an inexperienced sailor, I had no idea there existed such a variety of options for the outhaul. What I have learned is that mine kind of stinks and I now have several options ranging from simple to complex. Anyone want to start a similar thread on boom vangs????? Mine is currently a piece of line - that's what came with the boat in August and I've not had the opportunity to correct it. I've also very much enjoyed the discussion on lighting/wiring systems for anchor lights, steaming light and bow lights. Thanks to all for sharing so much knowledge and information.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Personally, I love to see all of the variations. As an inexperienced sailor, I had no idea there existed such a variety of options for the outhaul. What I have learned is that mine kind of stinks and I now have several options ranging from simple to complex. Anyone want to start a similar thread on boom vangs????? Mine is currently a piece of line - that's what came with the boat in August and I've not had the opportunity to correct it. I've also very much enjoyed the discussion on lighting/wiring systems for anchor lights, steaming light and bow lights. Thanks to all for sharing so much knowledge and information.
Sure, I will bite. Boom vang is not an essential tool. But without one you lose the ability to trim the leach and shape of the main, especially downwind. Some people also use a Cunningham for the luff, and think attaching it to the boom instead does the same thing. It does not. A Cunningham attached as a boom down-haul adjusts both the luff and leach at the same time, losing the ability to correctly shape the main.