Newbe purchased #14612 this week.

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
If yours is a swing keel, it should NOT be supporting the hull at all. The hull should be totally supported by the rollers and the bow V block. The keel should be resting by itself on a rubber block or wood pad on the frame. If it's a wing keel or fin keel, that's different and the keels are designed to support some weight.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
It is a wing keel (1988). I am under the impression that my keel should support more weight than the bunks while on the trailer. I think I read that in a previous thread. My bunks had a twist in them when they were adjusted for the 26' Pierson that the previous owner had. When I lowered them all to 22" the twist went away. I got the 22" measurement from a previous thread.

All I know to do is trial and error on the boat ramp. In February that will be painful! I really am interested in how far apart your bunks are in the back. I think if I get the back of the bunks spaced correctly the front will be easier to adjust (and in shallower water). I believe for that measurement any keel type should work as the beam should be the same.

It shouldn't be too difficult as projects go. Its just going to be cold!!!

Lane

Oct 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Plymouth MA
It's a swing keel and the keel is resting on a padded cross-member without bearing weight. Are rollers OK?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Lane, looks like your U Bolts are rusting away badly. Now is the best time to replace them, especially if you have to cut them off (I had to!). Here is the BEST place I found online to buy galvanized U Bolts, by far cheaper than certain Marine Parts stores or other hardware suppliers;
http://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/Galvanized-Trailer-U-Bolts_c_188.html

BTW, nice trailer... Mine is very similar with that same I-beam construction. If you want a better way to fit the bunks to the hull, rather than in the water, try this; Use a cherry picker in from the side to lift up the bow eye, then two boat stands supporting the stern (place the pads close to the transom where the fiberglass is thicker, otherwise you'd need a cradle). With the hull supported this way and the wing keel resting on the pad you can adjust the bunks however you need to, also move the hull forward on the trailer first if needed, get that weight as far forward as possible!
This method is typically what you'd need to do to get the hull off the trailer and on to stands and then back on again for bottom paint of whatever. Since I know your hull is in the water you still need to get it out, so you'll have to do your best guess with measurements off another C22 wing-keel trailer.... set it up as close as you can first and pull her out. Do your adjustments on the hard in the parking lot, not in cold water.... that would just suck.

Jul 23, 2013
They're not common for sailboats but if you don't have any oil canning happening, you're probably okay. Just be careful about the boat rolling back and forth while trailering (braking and hills) since there isn't much friction to hold it steady and you'll be relying a lot more on the bow eye connection. I use a 2" ratchet strap over the cockpit against the coaming winches and connected to the trailer frame to pull tension forward and help prevent the hull from rotating in the bunks because my bottom paint is so slippery.

Oct 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Plymouth MA
Thanks. I'll be moving the boat to stands to refinish the keel, bottom paint, etc. in April. After that we'll launch to our mooring and remove in October. Would you recommend keeping it on the trailer or stands when on the hard in the future? I love your website and particularly your projects tab.....plan on doing a ton of work before launching this year and you're my number one resource!
Mike
Plymouth MA

Jul 23, 2013
Lane,

Here are some measurements from my adjustable Calkins trailer. I dropped plumb bobs from the outside tips of my bunks that are 9' long. The width at the forward ends is 4'-11". The width at the aft ends is 6'-1".

Mike,
Most owners leave their boats on their trailers. It's a good idea to block up the frame in front and behind the wheels to take weight off the tires over the winter and prevent flat spots. Also makes it more stable to work on the boat and it's handy to service your hubs and brakes while you're at it. If the weight isn't forward enough, the trailer can tip backward with one or two guys standing near the transom. Some guys tip them so the cockpit doesn't fill with rain water or snow melt, but in my opinion, that's just being lazy.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Thanks for dimensions. I have new galvanized U bolts. When I replace them next week I'll space risers to your dimensions.

Lane

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
You guys let me know if you have heard of this issue.

Hyde is two months into making my Genoa. Judy and Dave called to say that a 120 Genoa will not sheet correctly wth my factory tracks. With my CDI furler the sail is lifted off the deck enough to prevent the angle on the sheet from being correct with anything less than a 133.

Even with a 133 I need a frictionless block on each sheet to adjust the angle downward when furled 20 percent.

Have you guys been told that the factory tracks are too far aft?

Jul 23, 2013
Haven't heard of that before but it makes sense. As you furl the sail, the angle of the lead will decrease and the top will twist and spill air. At a certain point, you won't be able to get the lead to bisect the luff high enough to provide balanced tension. It would be the same problem if you hanked on a small trysail or storm jib and then tried to sheet it all the way back to the lead car, even with it fully forward. Kudos to them for pointing it out instead of making you discover it on your own and then wonder why your new sail won't trim properly when partially furled.

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
@Gene Neill often complains that his tracks are to far aft...

I have inboard tracks that extend about a foot or so forward so I don't really have an issue.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
You guys let me know if you have heard of this issue.

Hyde is two months into making my Genoa. Judy and Dave called to say that a 120 Genoa will not sheet correctly wth my factory tracks. With my CDI furler the sail is lifted off the deck enough to prevent the angle on the sheet from being correct with anything less than a 133.

Even with a 133 I need a frictionless block on each sheet to adjust the angle downward when furled 20 percent.

Something to think about, the factory has made a bunch of C-22, and the boat comes from the factory with a 110 jib, (I would think a 120 shouldn't be that much different than a C-22 110). The genoa's are something that came about with the racers. Maybe their design has the clew too high because the leech is too short? Just curious what their measurements of the leech, luff, and foot are compared to a standard 110 that has been in production for over 40 years with thousands and thousands made. I would get some measurements from other new design boats before I would get too excited and start making modifications, and try using the sail to see for yourself. Maybe it's their design that won't work with the standard factory setup of the tracks? I don't know....

It's already been two months and you don't have a sail? I've bought a lot of sails over the years and I've never had to wait that long for a sail, and just now they're telling you it won't work? Somethings funny here, guess it's your fault for buying the wrong boat for their sail design....

Don

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Yes, I have been told this ... by me. I've never heard any corroborating testimony before, though, so this is gratifying to hear.

Despite having compared measurements with other C22 owners, I absolutely swear the genny tracks on my new design C22 are too far aft. Somehow. Don't ask me how. It doesn't make any sense. But I'm pretty convinced.

With most headsails, under most conditions, I have to simulate longer genny tracks by stepping on the sheet about 12-18" forward of the track, in order to get the upper telltales to fly right. Even my 180 genny never utilizes the aft 50% of the track; it trims quite well with the cars about midway. And the problem is exacerbated with each successively smaller headsail, down to a ~30% storm jib.

I've been scratching my head over this for a long time.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I don't know how your tracks are mounted, but could you move them forward to where you think they should be? Or maybe add a pair of parallel tracks farther forward for use with this sail.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Good thing I haven't yet installed my inboard tracks; now I know what to check for and I still have the freedom to move them as far forward as I need to.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
A friend and I traveled to the boat yesterday with the intention of bringing her home. We had no problem fitting Hoosier Daddy to the new trailer, unstepping the mast and towing home. Now I can concentrate on making Hoosier Daddy pretty.

Lane

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Today I scraped and pressure washed the hull. I also ordered a few things.
Four LED bulbs for the nav/mast lights.

Some paint products from Jamestown Distributors:
First, epoxy barrier coat.

Then ablative bottom paint.

Needless to say I will have plenty to do the next time I am home.

Lane

Oct 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Plymouth MA
Used JD Select on my Buccaneer 180 and it worked well. Plan on using it on my (new to me) Catalina this spring.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Spent one night at home last night between work trips. Christmas present on the front porch.

My new 135 Genoa! It came with the usual free sail bag and a Hyde hat.

Judy and David at Hyde are sure professionals to work with. However, allow some time when you place an order with Hyde. Both of my sails have taken two full months to get delivered to me. They do take pride in getting it right so I suppose the expertise and quality is worth the wait. I can't wait to hoist her.

Friday I prep and paint the bottom. Saturday Lee and I are going to cut new foam for the cushions. Monday the cushion foam and material head to the upholstery shop for fabrication. Its a real push to get the projects done as the weather here is beautiful right now. The salty water beckons like a naked mermaid!

Lane