What is the largest trailerable sailboat?

Mar 16, 2009
Hunter Vision-36 Richmond
We currently have a nice 36 foot Hunter Vision. Beautiful, comfortable boat. We have had her in a marina in the SF Bay for the last 8 years. We have done about everything there is to do twice in the bay and short distances up and down the coast. This boat is not a blue water cruiser, so going long distances up and down the coast is not doable from a safety and time perspective.

So we are thinking about trading down to a trailerable boat that we can take all over.

What is the largest trailerable boat that has all of the comforts that we are used to?

We will probably get a one ton diesel truck for trailering.

Thanks,
Mike

Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
Mike,

Take a look at the Nor'Sea 27.
It may not be the largest trailerable boat, but we feel it's the best one! :D

We departed the San Francisco bay in 04 after living aboard there for many years. For a lot of info on the boat, and our travels in it, you might want to take a look at our web page and our Youtube page.

Greg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What is the largest trailerable boat that has all of the comforts that we are used to?
Mike, since you already have a boat, you know that boats are a compromise.

It would be hard to find a trailerable boat that meets this criteria (except maybe The Nor'sea).

Trailerable boats were mostly made to both a price point and a size point, and thus don't have all those comforts, like H&C pressure water, since many of them have only outboard engines, hence not hot water unless you're plugged in. And their load carrying capacity is less, so you can't fit in 400 ah of battery power.

It's a whole different world.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Stu has covered the sacrifices to downsize, so will leave that to him. I would suggest a Catalina 250 as the most practical trailerable S/V. It must be a used one as no new ones being made anymore but thats not a bad thing. Total weight down the road empty is about 6K. Chief

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Or push the limits. Our C270 is trailer able, but as Stu says, at a cost. Less power, less storage, needs the F350 diesel, big trailer, lots and lots of stupid gawker drivers, and 100% more of everything than the mac26 had, but 100% less than the 36 has
It's all relative.
Two major considerations. Launch/retrieve, and dealing with the mast.

Cheers
Gary

Mar 16, 2009
Hunter Vision-36 Richmond
Mike,

Take a look at the Nor'Sea 27.
It may not be the largest trailerable boat, but we feel it's the best one! :D

We departed the San Francisco bay in 04 after living aboard there for many years. For a lot of info on the boat, and our travels in it, you might want to take a look at our web page and our Youtube page.

Greg
Thanks Greg, beautiful boat!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
BIG trailerable boats are often at the very edge of a couple's ability to manage out of the water. Launching, towing, mast up/down, retrieving are large scale operations.

My point is that if you get a maxi-trailerable, you are likely to drop it in the water once a year and leave it. It would take a special sort to move it OTR on a regular basis.

That being said. If you are looking for new, have a look at the Beneteau First 25s. Lifting keel, inboard diesel, modern square-top rig. Fast, beautiful, and rigged for a couple to sail.
Or the Catalina 275 sport. Same sort of boat.. Rare wing keel MIGHT be ramp launchable.

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks Greg, beautiful boat!
THANKS, we think so.....

Here is a photo of us on the road early this year.

Went from the Phoenix area and launched in New Orleans for Mardi Graw. LOVED IT, living aboard. Then sailed on over to Pensacola Fl. Next year some place further.

Like was said in another thread, take a look at the Zacko page, friends of ours at;
http://www.enezacko.com/

We raise and lower our own mast and tow with a Dodge 2500 diesel truck. We do have a lift put us in and out as we don't want to put the trailer in salt water. But if that is your thing, you can see a launch on our YouTube page at;

http://youtu.be/5_fu44SFNVE

Greg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Any boat can be trailered, it is just the ease of rigging , launching and retrieving that defines a trailer sailer. Check out the Seward 32.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Hey Greg- is that my pic or yours? That was the night I met you guys in Houston.

And I'll put in a second- that Nor'sea would be hard to beat

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
If you are going to be doing a lot of trailering then get a good vehicle. One hint that I found out is diesel is a good thing. Just don't go up to the one ton truck. Stay in the 3/4 ton truck because it saves you on taxes (that was in Virginia anyway). I found out the hard way because my F350 cost me a ton in taxes over the life of the truck.

If money wasn't an issue and I was going to be doing a trailerable....Check out the Seaward boats. They have a 32RK and a 26rk. Both are great boats.

I have looked at the Catalina 250 and Hunter 260. They are both nice boats.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2015/Seaward-32RK-2747700/Detroit/MI/United-States#.VGep38ma8_Y

Jan 22, 2008
Hey Greg- is that my pic or yours? That was the night I met you guys in Houston.

And I'll put in a second- that Nor'sea would be hard to beat
Your pick! AND I LOVE IT!!! :D

Greg

Jan 22, 2008
Not a sailboat but trailerable: http://www.rangertugs.com/r-31
Not asked, but jumping in here....
I looked into the Ranger line a bit back. VERY nice looking if you want to move to power.

The down side I saw was that they all seem to be single engine. If I ever go power I would want 2 engies, sort of like our diesel AND our sails. :)

I also heard from a couple of owners that I talked to that they were very "rolly" at anchor. Not so comfortable without that keel. :neutral:

Greg

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Not asked, but jumping in here....
I looked into the Ranger line a bit back. VERY nice looking if you want to move to power.

The down side I saw was that they all seem to be single engine. If I ever go power I would want 2 engies, sort of like our diesel AND our sails. :)

I also heard from a couple of owners that I talked to that they were very "rolly" at anchor. Not so comfortable without that keel. :neutral:

Greg
I agree. A club member moved from sail to a Ranger and loves it but my friends who have trawler type vessel all complain about rolly anchorages.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'd be interested in what the OP meant when he said 'trailerable'.

If you forgo ramp launching, raising the mast by hand, and towing by a regular vehicle, ANY boat is trailerable. I have friends who drag their 35 footers all over the country for regattas. My definition of a trailerable? No way.

But is you accept that as trailerable, his 36 foot Vision is no less trailerable than a Nor'Sea 27.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Out here in the Wild West you do see a fair number of the extended cab Freightliner rv haulers. That would tow something truly against the ceiling of trailerboat.