Fall sailing ROCKS

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
The absolute BEST sailing (in Minnesota) is in the fall. The temps are comfortable, the breeze good, the water cool and blue, and best of all, the million powerboaters than infest the lakes in the summer are GONE. Go out on an afternoon when the Vikings are playing, and you have the largest and busiest lake in the entire metro area pretty much all to yourself.

Anyone else feel the same?

It's true here in Alabama too. We've had some gorgeous days the last few weeks . . lo/mid 70's; robins egg blue skies and winds ranging from 8 - 12.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Shemandr, if you are talking about that Darth Vader - like building in the first photo ... yes, that's the evil empire, Goldman Sachs, building in Jersey City. The other building is a residential building, I think, as is the building I'm currently working at (green and blue glass towers). Have you noticed that new tower that is going up on the north side of mid-town that is now towering above the Empire State Bldg? That seemed to appear just a few weeks ago ... when I first noticed it driving in to work. I was dis-oriented at first thinking that it had to be the Freedom Tower because it was suddenly so tall on the skyline, but it didn't make any sense when I looked around and noticed the other mid-town buildings. It sounds like there are supposed to be a few towers like that going up. JC will have a 70+ story residential tower going up soon in Journal Square ... tallest bldg. in NJ.

I'm now thinking about moving T-Bird to Jersey City since I spend a fair amount of time at work there, now. I didn't want to move her to such an urban location, but I also don't want to drive so far from home, either. The wind on NY harbor seems to be blowing ALL the time. I think it is windier on a regular basis on NY harbor than it is in Chicago, surprising as that may seem. I think the canyon effect causes the wind. The cliffs on the Jersey side a little further up stream are surpisingly high ... up to 200' or a more just for the terrain. Then add all the buildings on top. Many roofs along the Palisades are about 500' above sea level.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
The absolute BEST sailing (in Minnesota) is in the fall. The temps are comfortable, the breeze good, the water cool and blue, and best of all, the million powerboaters than infest the lakes in the summer are GONE. Go out on an afternoon when the Vikings are playing, and you have the largest and busiest lake in the entire metro area pretty much all to yourself.

Anyone else feel the same?

Not to mention that the black flies are gone! ;-0

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Day started light, and built to twenty later in the day. I sailed halfway to Catalina Island before I had to return for parental duties.
"Why do we have to have all these darn kids!?"

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Our club photographer usually makes sure to take one final set of trophy shots during the fall regattas, to catch the fall colors. Like this one from last weekend.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Fall sailing can definitely be spirited. Our lake runs roughly East/West. Predominant winds are from the West. Of course, last weekend and this weekend, we had gusts out of the NW. I hate NW winds. Along the N side of the lake, we have a lot of terrain variation, hills and coves and valleys and such. So, NW winds are always gusty to begin with, but super variable direction-wise due to the topography. Now, SW winds are a dream, because the S side is pretty flat and even... ;)

Anyhoo, last Saturday, I was sailing to West, close hauled on starboard tack riding the main breeze from the W. But gusts were coming fast and furious from the NW, and they were short and nasty. Normally, I'm not opposed to a puff that can lay me down to wet the rail - "washing the toe rails." If it happens too frequently, I'll put in my reef. But I was already reefed, and I got hit by one of these gusts, and it laid me over. I started steering up, but it kept coming, hitting me hard from what, 45º to starboard, so that I was completely and suddenly over trimmed. I learned the difference between washing the toe rails, and "cleaning the seat off from water dumping over the coaming!" :eek::eek::eek:

I became ever more vigilant in steering for the puffs, which measured out about 23 knots. But what a freaking hassle, because I'd get hit by a puff, steer up for it (which should have been a nice lift) but there was a razor's edge between being over trimmed, and the jib flogging like a lunatic.

This Sunday, we had average winds around 17 knots, with gusts regularly at 25 knots with one measured 26. That means it might have been a bit stronger out on the water. Yeah, I thought about it. I started thinking "Hey, I could go out with just a reefed main, no jib…" but I was saved from my folly by a dockmate who was checking his slip after hauling out on Saturday. We sat in the cockpit and jaw-jacked for a good long time, and when he left, I went back to doing what I was supposed to do: unloading all the cruising junk before next weekend's haulout. Amazing how much stuff I pack into that little boat…

Winds died down somewhat in the later afternoon. At least, there weren't whitecaps along the short fetch width of the lake (never saw that before.) I saw a guy out in his Victoria 18 moving smartly with just his jib up. And a lunatic in his Sunfish. I was jealous of the lunatic, because that is exactly the reason I want a Force 5 - big wind, mach 5 with my hair on fire! Hey, small go-fast singlehanded cat-rigged boat in the fall? No problem, I have a drysuit!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Saturday, sailing at dusk, was about perfect. Sunday afternoon, my son and I sailed for several hours with a double reef in the mainsail and 110 jib. This weekend pretty much mirrored last weekend ... except now our boat is the last sailboat in the water at our location.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Saturday was AWFUL around here. Upper 70's, winds around 6 knots, not a cloud in the sky. Can you tell how miserable I was???

May 21, 2006
catalina 25, 30 montauk / manhattan
Shemandr, if you are talking about that Darth Vader - like building in the first photo ... yes, that's the evil empire, Goldman Sachs, building in Jersey City. The other building is a residential building, I think, as is the building I'm currently working at (green and blue glass towers). Have you noticed that new tower that is going up on the north side of mid-town that is now towering above the Empire State Bldg? That seemed to appear just a few weeks ago ... when I first noticed it driving in to work. I was dis-oriented at first thinking that it had to be the Freedom Tower because it was suddenly so tall on the skyline, but it didn't make any sense when I looked around and noticed the other mid-town buildings. It sounds like there are supposed to be a few towers like that going up. JC will have a 70+ story residential tower going up soon in Journal Square ... tallest bldg. in NJ.

I'm now thinking about moving T-Bird to Jersey City since I spend a fair amount of time at work there, now. I didn't want to move her to such an urban location, but I also don't want to drive so far from home, either. The wind on NY harbor seems to be blowing ALL the time. I think it is windier on a regular basis on NY harbor than it is in Chicago, surprising as that may seem. I think the canyon effect causes the wind. The cliffs on the Jersey side a little further up stream are surpisingly high ... up to 200' or a more just for the terrain. Then add all the buildings on top. Many roofs along the Palisades are about 500' above sea level.
scott,

was at the pier 25 moorings (operated by liberty landing) this year but at 79th st several years prior. down in the harbor it's kind of like being in the city on the water; very busy and lots of chop. i found it more relaxing further up. not sure what NJ side marinas there are more uptown but just a thought. enjoy!

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
well we got what was coming to us for rubbing it in... looks like this Saturday will be 12-15kts but near freezing at 66 degrees for the high...