Fall sailing ROCKS

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The absolute BEST sailing (in Minnesota) is in the fall. The temps are comfortable, the breeze good, the water cool and blue, and best of all, the million powerboaters than infest the lakes in the summer are GONE. Go out on an afternoon when the Vikings are playing, and you have the largest and busiest lake in the entire metro area pretty much all to yourself.

Anyone else feel the same?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Had the same experience Sunday of this week. Pert near no one around. We had the whole lake to ourselves. Oh, except for when we were pulling anchor after lunch. A pontoon boat changed course and came directly at us very slowly, rode by no more than 30 feet away, staring without so much as waving. 15 knot wind trying to blow us to shore. This is a pretty big lake with lots of sailboats normally. We were not an oddity. But dang. He just HAD to come get in our way out of curiosity.

But I digress. It was a GREAT day!

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
Anyone else feel the same?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-aJ8QqgnEc">YouTube Link</a>
I have had two of the nicest sails of the year Sunday and last night on Lake Saint Clair. Yes, I agree.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The absolute BEST sailing (in Minnesota) is in the fall.
I generally agree 150%, just not today..:D:D:D

TODAY
NE WINDS 25 TO 35 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 KT. SEAS 13 TO
18 FT
...SUBSIDING TO 11 TO 16 FT THIS AFTERNOON. RAIN WITH ISOLATED
TSTMS THIS MORNING...THEN RAIN THIS AFTERNOON. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Absolutely. We're out on the Chesapeake all weekend with a few lonely anchorages and a bag full of oysters roasting on the grill. Cane-juice rum and cider to take the chill off. This will be the first time in years that we don't stay in for a Thanksgiving cruise- turkey breast roasting in the galley.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I generally agree 150%, just not today..:D:D:D

TODAY
NE WINDS 25 TO 35 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 KT. SEAS 13 TO
18 FT
...SUBSIDING TO 11 TO 16 FT THIS AFTERNOON. RAIN WITH ISOLATED
TSTMS THIS MORNING...THEN RAIN THIS AFTERNOON. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.
We have some wind but not quite what I would call a good ole Nor'Easter yet...;) I took the dinghy out to the boat this morning, pretty wet ride, and was doing some work on her. The highest gust saw was 46 knots. Had a couple others that really made the boat heel over but I never poked my head out to see how strong.. Most of the morning it was 27 - 37.... Still not what I would have enjoyed going sailing in.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Starting of the great sailing in south Louisiana as well. First time since May that one can sleep on the boat without air conditioning. Breeze is 5-15 from the north/nne.. makes for little fetch generally and the sailing is quick and smooth.. I am bound into family commitments for the next few days instead of taking advantage of the low humidity and crystal clear skies.. darn it.. This should carry on with a couple of small interruptions until mid December!

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Total Agreement! Nothing like some cooler temps and a nice stiff wind to cure the powerboat infestation on the Patapsco. Had a great day on the Bay last week. Nothing but big ships and other sailors.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Fall sailing does rock. It's the best. Not sweltering. Pretty much without bugs. Cool crisp air. Ample wind. Everything looks different than summer. You can see buoys from further away because of the lack of haze. The water reflects light differently because of the lower angles of the sun. There are no crowds. It gets better later in the season but the days become fewer that have suitable conditions. But there are all bonus days and not to be missed. Oh, and the water is still fairly warm at least in comparison to spring sailing.
Scott TBird, the building is in Jersey City -No? We kept our boat at Liberty Landing for a winter, we visited it but didn't live on it, and that building seems familiar.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Yeeeaaahh.

Every year I look forward to the first fore deck ice slick when weighing anchor in the morning. And every year I forget about the first fore deck ice slick while weighing anchor in the morn...

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeeeaaahh. Every year I look forward to the first fore deck ice slick when weighing anchor in the morning. And every year I forget about the first fore deck ice slick while weighing anchor in the morn...
Well yeah, there's that.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Agree with fall sailing. Last Fri. night was (sadly)our last dinner cruise of the season, we had Middle river pretty much to ourselves for a change. Also no waiting at the restaurant pier.

Only downside was damn cold knee deep hooking up to the trailer!

Jun 21, 2011
Catalina 22 MKII Scarborough, Ontario
The absolute BEST sailing (in Minnesota) is in the fall. The temps are comfortable, the breeze good, the water cool and blue, and best of all, the million powerboaters than infest the lakes in the summer are GONE. Go out on an afternoon when the Vikings are playing, and you have the largest and busiest lake in the entire metro area pretty much all to yourself. Anyone else feel the same? <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-aJ8QqgnEc">YouTube Link</a>
Similar experience on Lake Ontario, last three weeks of September and first week of October. Some of the best sailing of the season. However, everything now packed away for the winter!
Chris

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
TYC single handed race a couple of weekends ago, then a week-long cruise with the Admiral on the Mississippi gulf coast, and Lake Pontchartrain Racing Circuit this weekend. What's not to like?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Good one, except ...

That's the best way NOT to waste a day watching the Vikings :)
maybe when they play Da Bears! That should be a road win for the Vikes. This weekend is shaping up nicely for sailing as was last weekend. Chilly days are great but won't last long this year I think