Can You Name a Boat the Same Name as Your Former Boat?

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I named my daysailer "Breeze" after my Grandfather's boat. He made a balsa wood model of that boat, which I now have. I grew up with "Breeze Four," sorry, no model of that one (it was lapstrake.)

So, when I bought my bigger boat, I didn't know what to name it. I was gonna name it "Breeze Two." I mean, it worked four times for Granddad, didn't it?

Let's just say I was prevented from naming the new boat "Breeze Two." Nobody opined it was a good idea.

Finally came up with "Wishful Thinking." When I get 3 Foot Disease and move up, will I go with "Wishful Thinking II"????

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
One doesn't learn much about Gibbs free energy until upper-division college enrolled in what is now called a STEM major (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics); principally, biochemistry. So, you didn't miss it by nodding out during HS chem class lectures!
Right... well actually it is taught in a course called Thermodynamics which is one half of the physical chemistry sequence that all chemistry majors take. It is also taught in engineering courses but more from the context of fluid dynamics than molecular dynamics but the underlying principles are the same.

It is a real travesty of history... this guy (Josiah Gibbs) has influenced modern society in far greater ways than did Edison or Ford (or even Rockefeller and Carnegie) but very few people outside of STEM fields have ever studied his work. It is fair to say that all of our steam and internal combustion technologies are based upon Gibb's fundamental work.

If you care here is a little about the guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josiah_Willard_Gibbs

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If you are moving up to a new boat, just go ahead and move on to a new name. With the memories created from the old boat you will find the old name may never be at home in the new boat. Catalog new adventures with a new name. I equate bad luck with being unprepared; every time I have been well prepared I seem to have good luck.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Hey Rob! I love the Periodic Name you have there. That's the only thing you've said that has made any sense to me in this thread.

Jan 19, 2010
Hey Rob! I love the Periodic Name you have there. That's the only thing you've said that has made any sense to me in this thread.

Thanks... and I understand where you are coming from. A lot of my friends have backgrounds in the humanities and when they start talking about post-modern Nietzschie-ian morality ... well my eyes just glass over... :confused:

I have spent at least 10 years trying to figure out what the word "post-modern" even means. :eek:

May 13, 2013
Beneteau Sense 50 San diego
I am assuming your new old boat already has a name. It is very important to correctly purge the old name before renaming your boat www.boatsafe.com has the correct procedure. Since Poseiden has a ledger with your old boat's history it may confuse the sea gods to have the same name. However, if your old boat had good fortune perhaps it a good idea to keep the name.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
I want to rename my current new (old, 1979) boat the same name as my boat I just sold. I also don't want to offend any sea Gods. I'm not particularly superstitious, but I want to cover my bases :) I also don't want to add "2" or "Two" after the name. Has anyone out there ever done this? If so, did you experience a suspicious run of bad luck? Just wondering.
I always smile when I see these types of questions. My background is science and engineering spending my working hours troubleshooting instrument problems starting decades ago while in the Coast Guard.

The best ways to appease the "sea gods" is:

1) Do the maintenance and repairs on schedule and as needed. Don't wait for something to fail.

2) Always and continually practice and improve your skills.

Ever notice that in all of the rescue missions in the nastiest weather are accomplished by S&R groups with maintained equipment and lots of training?

---

Now if you are looking for an excuse to have a "social gathering", make sure you do BOTH - de-name and name. It will be twice the fun! <grin>

Jan 19, 2010
1) Do the maintenance and repairs on schedule and as needed. Don't wait for something to fail.

Nice!
:+1:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I always smile when I see these types of questions. My background is science and engineering spending my working hours troubleshooting instrument problems starting decades ago while in the Coast Guard.

The best ways to appease the "sea gods" is:

Just remember, however, that it's possible to make all the correct moves, and still lose.

Aug 16, 2006
Ericson 32 Oregon coast
How about "Jr" after it. If it was me and I liked

the name I'd go for the 2 except that I'd use Roman numeral ( II )

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Right... well actually it is taught in a course called Thermodynamics which is one half of the physical chemistry sequence that all chemistry majors take. It is also taught in engineering courses but more from the context of fluid dynamics than molecular dynamics but the underlying principles are the same.

It is a real travesty of history... this guy (Josiah Gibbs) has influenced modern society in far greater ways than did Edison or Ford (or even Rockefeller and Carnegie) but very few people outside of STEM fields have ever studied his work. It is fair to say that all of our steam and internal combustion technologies are based upon Gibb's fundamental work.

If you care here is a little about the guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josiah_Willard_Gibbs
I'd missed your post first time around. :D When I was an undergraduate in P-Chem they made the Metallurgy Students take that class. We'd never seen them before and thought they were a bunch of rubes, especially when they laughed at us for referring to Gibb's Free Energy with a "G" instead of an "F" like they thought was correct. Fast forward 15 years when I changed fields because I was starving to death as a chemist. In Graduate Materials Engineering Thermodynamics I came to accept that it's "F". Now I are one Injunear. I love your delta G because I get it.