Our trip home... Along with a couple of engine issues.

Aug 23, 2014
Catalina 310 Guntersville, Alabama
9-30-14
Problem Fixed. Thanks to all for your assistance. The spade connector was so loose it was just "hovering" in position. I finally got eyes and fingers on it thanks to Jesse and fixed it.
Thanks again.
Neal

Hello all,
We purchased our 2003 Catalina 310 in Grand Rivers, KY and headed out for a 340 mile cruise up the Tennessee River to our home in Guntersville, AL. We made the trip in 7 days. Most of the trip was great with the boat and engine performing smoothly. Two issues popped up I could use advice on.

1. Low oil pressure alarm intermittently chirping under way. It only sounded off fully when turning key to start engine. It was just a light inconsistent chirp. I checked the oil level several times a day and never noticed it low. Also kept a sharp eye on temp gauge and it stayed consistent the entire trip. My thought is the sensor is going bad. What do you think and is this a simple fix?

2. With 5 miles to go before home, the engine had several moments of rough running and losing rpms. It ran smooth as silk for 335 miles and then just 5 miles from home I was concerned we would not make it. It never quit running, and would smooth back out and run ok for a while before stuttering again.

We started the trip with new filters (fuel and oil), and kept the fuel tank topped off. Only once did we approach 1/2 full mark.

The engine is a Universal 25, common to catalina 310 as I understand it.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Neal

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
My guess, something started clogging the fuel flow to the diesel. Old fuel tanks can accumulate a type of sludge that can enter the pick-up and clog somewhere downstream toward the engine. I pulled an 8-in long piece of that stuff from my emergency fuel shut off valve a couple of months ago. My engine was doing the same; long periods of running smoothly, then loss of RPMs, cutting out, and threatening to die. Recommend minimally to change the upstream (primary) filter again b/f going out the next time. May have to do the tank scouring/fuel polishing treatment to get it fully right.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada

CraigS

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 310 Fort Walton Beach, FL
Check your fuel pump. I had a similar problem. The fuel tank is positioned such that gravity will provide fuel to somewhere around 1/2 tank. Then you need the pump. Pump may be off due to bad pump (duh) or the circuit from the oil sensor that provides the 12V. I was way out in the gulf when my sensor failed and had to rig a bypass jumper. Also had a failed fuel pump at another time. Good luck.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I agree with Craig. The sender unit is problematic, there can be corrosion on the terminals, a bad connection inside the spade connectors or the tabs can break off the sender unit, due to vibration of the motor. The fuel pump gets its power from this sender unit.....there are many posts in the 310 forum that deal with this. If you take the 2 wires off the sender unit, jumper them together, turn your ignition key to 'on', you should hear the fuel pump ticking. There is also a connector on the fuel pump that may need to be looked at, cleaned or re-crimped. Either of these suggestions are cheaper and easier than replacing the fuel pump and still having issues.....Good luck

Cheers

dj

Aug 23, 2014
Check your fuel pump. I had a similar problem. The fuel tank is positioned such that gravity will provide fuel to somewhere around 1/2 tank. Then you need the pump. Pump may be off due to bad pump (duh) or the circuit from the oil sensor that provides the 12V. I was way out in the gulf when my sensor failed and had to rig a bypass jumper. Also had a failed fuel pump at another time. Good luck.
Do I understand correctly... the 2 issues may be related? I had assumed I had 2 separate issues.

Thanks for the links Stu, and all the other comments too.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
There is a very good chance the 2 issues are related. An intermittent connection, due to a broken wire/poor contact/faulty device could possibly be the answer. The alarm and the fuel pump both get their power from the sending unit. Go back through some earlier posts on the fuel pump, there are many.
Another way to check if the pump is functional, turn your ignition key 2 clicks and hold it (this will power the glow plugs), you should hear the clicking of the electric pump. You may have to have someone down below, or lift the engine cover to hear the clicking. When the key is in the run position, the pump is powered only when there is oil pressure (the engine is running and the sending unit is working). If you were a rocket scientist (seriously!) you could look at the wiring schematic and understand it.....most of us just ask 'why did they wire it like this?'.
Cheers

dj

Aug 23, 2014
There is a very good chance the 2 issues are related. An intermittent connection, due to a broken wire/poor contact/faulty device could possibly be the answer. The alarm and the fuel pump both get their power from the sending unit. Go back through some earlier posts on the fuel pump, there are many.
Another way to check if the pump is functional, turn your ignition key 2 clicks and hold it (this will power the glow plugs), you should hear the clicking of the electric pump. You may have to have someone down below, or lift the engine cover to hear the clicking. When the key is in the run position, the pump is powered only when there is oil pressure (the engine is running and the sending unit is working). If you were a rocket scientist (seriously!) you could look at the wiring schematic and understand it.....most of us just ask 'why did they wire it like this?'.
Cheers

dj
Wow. You guys have given me a good start on tracking this problem. I will dig into it. The intermittent low pressure alarm started on day 2 of our trip but the loss of rpm issue did not show up until day 7 so I am not sure about the two issues being related. I will dig into it and see what I can find.

Thanks again.

Neal

Feb 26, 2004
Neal, the "two issues connected" are covered in one of the Critical Upgrades topic.

Aug 23, 2014
Neal, the "two issues connected" are covered in one of the Critical Upgrades topic.
Stu,

Thank you for steering me to the critical upgrades link. I am learning much from reading the posts but I cannot find my issue. I will keep looking. Another post by Curt describes my issue perfectly. I am now searching for possible connector problems.

Thanks.

Neal

Aug 23, 2014
OK, guys... I think I am getting there. How does this sound?

Early in our trip the low oil pressure alarm was very faint and intermittent (I could barely hear it over the engine running). It got louder as the trip went until I finally covered the buzzer with duct tape so the chirping would not bother us. Then later in the trip the engine showed signs of fuel starvation, reduced rpms, stuttering, on an intermittent basis.

If the low pressure alarm and the fuel pump power are connected... maybe the oil pressure switch was gradually going bad until it finally got bad enough to cause the fuel pump to operate intermittently.

I either have a bad oil pressure switch or there is a connector somewhere that is not solidly attached. As I was poking around today I noticed a connector rubber boot that had backed off of and was not covering the post. I pushed it back in place. I will try to crank the engine tomorrow to see if this could have been the issue.

Please let me know if you see anything in my explanation that does not make sense to those with more diesel experience. Thanks to all for the comments.

Neal

Feb 26, 2004
If the low pressure alarm and the fuel pump power are connected... maybe the oil pressure switch was gradually going bad until it finally got bad enough to cause the fuel pump to operate intermittently.
Neal, good detective work so far. "...are connected..." is vague, though. You need to find out exactly how, based on the Critical Upgrades and your own engine wiring diagram, I think you'll find it discussed there and shown. IIRC, the oil pressure has to come up to pressure to get the fuel pump running.

Good luck.

Aug 23, 2014
Ok, I will be on the road for a few days. As soon as I return I will study my boat's wiring diagram and figure this thing out. Thanks.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
I bet they are connected. I also have a 2003 model (#218) and recently had to replace the fuel pump (785 hours). Based on hindsight, mine was running for quite a while without the pump. Of course it quit when we were a couple days into a week long cruise, and we had to sail into a marina and get a friend to bring us a new pump. We've also had the spade lug break off the oil pressure switch at a different time. We now carry spare oil pressure switch (westerbeke # 037323) and fuel pump (westerbeke #39275 $179 or Facet #40185 $60).

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
OK, guys... I think I am getting there. How does this sound?

Early in our trip the low oil pressure alarm was very faint and intermittent (I could barely hear it over the engine running). It got louder as the trip went until I finally covered the buzzer with duct tape so the chirping would not bother us. Then later in the trip the engine showed signs of fuel starvation, reduced rpms, stuttering, on an intermittent basis.

I either have a bad oil pressure switch or there is a connector somewhere that is not solidly attached. As I was poking around today I noticed a connector rubber boot that had backed off of and was not covering the post. I pushed it back in place. I will try to crank the engine tomorrow to see if this could have been the issue.

Please let me know if you see anything in my explanation that does not make sense to those with more diesel experience. Thanks to all for the comments.

Neal
there is one sure way to check this ...and that is to wire the fuel pump wire direct to a 12vdc source on its own and that will let you know if the problem is in the switch connection ...i put a fuel pump on my yanmar and it is wired so that when the switch key is turned on the pump runs and doesn't have to depend on the oil pressure switch/sender to work

Feb 26, 2004
Folks, I urge you disocntinue saying things like "...they are connected..." because, while true, it simply doesn't address the functional issue, nor HOW they are connected.

The "connection" functionally means the fuel pump ONLY works when the glow plugs are held on with the spring switch OR when the engine is running after the oil pressure comes up. The issue is How It Works in addition to How It Really is Connected. One of my links provided an in depth analysis I did of the wiring diagrams for another skipper. Your choice to read it or not but I'm sure Neal will.

Those are the issues Neal needs to address, covered in my previous links.

Here's the "functionality" text:

Universal Manual Starting Instructions: Tonywright’s post in reply # 38 about the Universal manual requiring holding the glow plugs via the keyswitch spring position ON while hitting the start button MEANS that there is a continuous draw on the battery bank from BOTH the glow plugs AND the starter motor. Our C34-group experience is that this INHERENTLY leads to tough & rough starting. The Mark I “trick” has always been to RELEASE the glow plug (button in our Mark I case) BEFORE the start button, so that both heavy amperage draws are NOT on at the same time. There is no reason to need to do what Universal suggests, regardless of how your starting sequence is wired. This is one of the reasons that I cautioned earlier that new designs that complicate originally simple operations are not necessarily “improvements.” What you can try if you choose to is to release the glow plug spring setting on the key switch, wait a bit, and then hit the start button. All this means is that, as “possibly” wired, the fuel pump will only be off for that short amount of time between releasing the spring glow plug and hitting the start button. It should make NO difference in starting operation, since the fuel will “be there” from the pump operating during the period you are holding the glow plugs, and once started the fuel pump will begin operation once the oil pressure switch closes upon engine start. I believe this “duplex” newer wiring setup to the pump is an unnecessary complication to what used to be a simple startup procedure. Interrupting the fuel pump between the glow plugs off and oil pressure switch close is unnecessary, since the fuel pump and oil pressure have nothing to do with each other. On the Mark Is, the pump runs when the ignition switch is in the ON position, runs all the time. Why stop it?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2014
there is one sure way to check this ...and that is to wire the fuel pump wire direct to a 12vdc source on its own and that will let you know if the problem is in the switch connection ...i put a fuel pump on my yanmar and it is wired so that when the switch key is turned on the pump runs and doesn't have to depend on the oil pressure switch/sender to work
Thanks. I will check the fuel pump just as you described.
Neal

Aug 23, 2014
I bet they are connected. I also have a 2003 model (#218) and recently had to replace the fuel pump (785 hours). Based on hindsight, mine was running for quite a while without the pump. Of course it quit when we were a couple days into a week long cruise, and we had to sail into a marina and get a friend to bring us a new pump. We've also had the spade lug break off the oil pressure switch at a different time. We now carry spare oil pressure switch (westerbeke # 037323) and fuel pump (westerbeke #39275 $179 or Facet #40185 $60).
Thanks for the part numbers.
Neal

Aug 23, 2014
Stu,

Thanks for the info you have provided. It is so helpful, especially to new owners like me.

Neal