want new motor for C 16

Jun 28, 2014
Com Pac 16 II N. Myrtle Beach, SC
Recently purchased '87 C-16 with same model Evinrude 4. It runs fine, but looking to upgrade to a 4 stroke. What suggestions do you sailing vets have as a replacement? Will be used in salt water and fresh. Thanks.

Sep 25, 2008
4 stroke

Recently purchased '87 C-16 with same model Evinrude 4. It runs fine, but looking to upgrade to a 4 stroke. What suggestions do you sailing vets have as a replacement? Will be used in salt water and fresh. Thanks.
I have had two Nissan 4 hp 4 strokes. Why two you ask? First one was hit by a fisherman who lost control of his bass boat. I have had the second one since 2002. It is the same motor as the Tahutsu and Mercury. All made by Tahutsu. Runs exceptionally well. Loves to have fresh clean fuel. Starts on 1st or 2nd pull, even after sitting all winter. Flushing it frequently after salt water will prevent the usual problems as I think most small outboards are certified for salt or fresh water. My neighbor has a Yamaha 4 or 5 hp and it is also a great runner. Used on a Catalina 22. Good luck.

Sep 6, 2012
Com-Pac 16 Home
I use a 55-thrust 12 volt for 6 hour day sail on my 16-2. Plenty of power. Might have to use the battery max one (1) hour.
Just in case I should get to have an overnight I keep a second charged battery on board.
With my limited experience sailing the Tennessee River, if I were to plan for a several day sail I might have to include stops to recharge overnight. Enjoy your sailing. Easybreezee

Nov 11, 2009
Pearson 365 Ketch Babylon, Long Island
Upgrade? The only upgrade I can think of going from 2-stoke to 4-stroke is an environmental upgrade. I've owned several small outboards over the years with my last experience being a new Nissan 6hp 4-stroke. The Nissan 4-stroke was fine, no problems, but my un-scientific opinion is that the horsepower is overrated compared to a 2-stroke of same HP rating. Aside from that, I found storing, handling and transporting a 4-stoke a little more of a challenge with proper positioning required so as not to have the crankcase oil leak out. You can also expect the 4-stroke of similar HP to weigh more than a comparable 2-stroke. Just my 2-cents.
Andy

Sep 25, 2008
I totally agree with Andy. Nothing wrong with a 2 stroke. They are lighter, which can be important on the back of a sailboat. The only disadvantage is the mixing gas with the oil. the other advantage a 2 stroke has, in my opinion is the larger jet size to accommodate the oil. 4 strokes have more carb problems because of the really small jet size. Just my opinion. I have a f stroke because that is what was readily available when I needed one.

Sep 25, 2008
Does any manufacture make a 2 stroke now? I had the feeling that they all went away with emission controls. Could be wrong though - will not be first or last time. LOL

Jun 28, 2014
Com Pac 16 II N. Myrtle Beach, SC
Thanks for all the replies and help, guys. As luck would have it, I came across a '99 Merc (2 stroke) 4 hp that a guy just needed to get rid of. Even had long shaft. Purrs!! :)
Feelin lucky!
Maybe I need to ask for more things on here. lol

Nov 11, 2009
Pearson 365 Ketch Babylon, Long Island
Does any manufacture make a 2 stroke now? I had the feeling that they all went away with emission controls.
Al: Believe you're correct, no more new 2-strokes.

Marc: Congrats. Nice upgrade.

Andy