Wine stain in cockpit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
no idea what you mean by this..... of course gelcoat will stain, lots of things stain it.:confused: Eventually, some will just naturally bleach out from the sun but that's not true of all stains. Some need attention AND time in the sun.
Maybe it depends on what you consider clean, unstained gelcoat. I've seen many that are so stained, they are a yellowish grey all over.:eek:
I clearly said, "food or drink".

So, before more arguments are thrown, I'll head them off:

There is no edible food coloring, natural coloring, or reaction from edible substance that can stain gelcoat. When I say "stain", I mean a permanent discoloration that requires human intervention greater than routine washing, and usual element exposure. There is no organic chemical powerful enough to damage gelcoat that we would put into our mouths.

I hope that clears things up. If not, please post a picture of food-or-drink-damaged gelcoat. I've been on boats for 20 years, and I've never seen, heard, nor experienced such an incident.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
1+ hydrogen peroxide.

pour it on, let it sit. works on white shirts, anyway.

Jim L

Jun 13, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Kemah, Texas
Me. Bill is right we use to get the drywall stains out of the bottom of fiberglass tubs.

dew

Apr 18, 2010
macgregor 26x lake martin
Remove red wine stain

I knocked over a glass of wine in my cockpit last night (Layer Cake Cabernet in case you're curious) and it immediately stained the gel coat. I can't seem to scrub it off. Any suggestions?
Best thing I have found for removing Red Wine from a Carpet...... Windex, spray it on let it foam up and draw the color out and wipe it up.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
I knocked over a glass of wine in my cockpit last night (Layer Cake Cabernet in case you're curious) and it immediately stained the gel coat. I can't seem to scrub it off. Any suggestions?[/QUOTe
Tilex unless you already drankthewie,the straight

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
I knocked over a glass of wine in my cockpit last night (Layer Cake Cabernet in case you're curious) and it immediately stained the gel coat. I can't seem to scrub it off. Any suggestions?
Tilex. Will do unless you had already swallowed the wine. Straight bleach will remove used red wine from gel coat.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Doug, I have found that if you spray some regular Hertel on it and let it soak a few minutes then rinse off it will take it right off. Available with the house cleaners in all canadian grocery stores.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
All you guys are so funny with the chemical treatments! A cockpit exposed to sun for a few hours and voila ... the red stain is gone! Have a party, spill the wine, (take that pearl!), wash down with water and come back the next day ... all gone and ready for another party!

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
All you guys are so funny with the chemical treatments! A cockpit exposed to sun for a few hours and voila ... the red stain is gone! Have a party, spill the wine, (take that pearl!), wash down with water and come back the next day ... all gone and ready for another party!
Zactly what I said too.

My decades of experience are always argued against on this board. It's quite odd, especially since much of the experience is regarding wine. :dance:

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
FWIW, I went back to the boat for a day of cleanup after our sail. My thought was to inspect the stain again and then head out to purchase one or more of the items you guys suggested. When I got to the boat the stain was 70% faded by the sun. Then my boat partner came down and didn't notice a thing so I made us both a Dark n Stormy instead of scrubbing. I will, however, buy one of the products just to keep for quick removal. Thanks all.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
FWIW, I went back to the boat for a day of cleanup after our sail. My thought was to inspect the stain again and then head out to purchase one or more of the items you guys suggested. When I got to the boat the stain was 70% faded by the sun. Then my boat partner came down and didn't notice a thing so I made us both a Dark n Stormy instead of scrubbing. I will, however, buy one of the products just to keep for quick removal. Thanks all.
"I hate being right all the time." -Jeff Goldblum (Jurassick Park)

Status
Not open for further replies.