Wine stain in cockpit

Status
Not open for further replies.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
I knocked over a glass of wine in my cockpit last night (Layer Cake Cabernet in case you're curious) and it immediately stained the gel coat. I can't seem to scrub it off. Any suggestions?

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Spray with hydrogen peroxide. Worked for me. Red wine of course! Takes a few minutes but it does come out.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
They invented white wine to remove red wine stains!

FSR or any product with oxalatic acid in it.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I did that once and thought it wasn't going to disappear, but within a week it was gone without a trace ... I think sunlight and maybe some rain water might just do the trick on it's own. That was my experience but I can't give you any expert advise.

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
Beer doesn't stain either !

They invented white wine to remove red wine stains!

FSR or any product with oxalatic acid in it.
How about rum instead of red wine, Doug?
I read your rum post on your blog, it is worth sharing on the forum.
Fair Winds

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Stu is correct. That is about the only good for white wine.

We have used it on upholstery.

I just cleaned up some red wine stains with Simple Green.:):)

Jul 18, 2009
marine clipper 21 ft santa ana Southern Lakes,Yukon
leave the stain....

company feels much more comfortable knowing they can be slobs and you likely won't mind...haha..

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
YVRguy said:
I knocked over a glass of wine in my cockpit last night (Layer Cake Cabernet in case you're curious) and it immediately stained the gel coat. I can't seem to scrub it off. Any suggestions?
Wow! We did the EXACT SAME THING WITH THE SAME WINE!!! Well, let just say it wasn't me though.... But I jumped into action and using Oxymagic we removed all signs of it being completely sprayed everywhere! What a shocking thing when that very red wine goes flying in a white environment!!

We still drink only red wine in big round bowled glasses and won't be altering that!!

Oct 15, 2009
catalina 320 Perry Lake
Got a product from the Dollar Store called "La Totally Awesome". I use it on spider droppings, bird poop with mulberry staining and everything else that boat wash doesn't remove. I spray it on full strength and then wash of. Cheap and works great. If it doesn't work, your only out a buck.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Baking soda is rather good for taking out the color. The wine stain is acidic and the baking soda neutralizes it.

ghost

May 18, 2007
NULL NULL Toronto
We spilled red wine on a charter boat in Desolation Sound BC a few years ago. Big reddish/grey stain ! The only cleaner on board was some "eco-green" stuff that did absolutely nothing! We searched the boat for something suitable and ended up using tooth whitening toothpaste! That and the sun the following day took care of the stain.
Memorable trip in many ways.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
My method of red wine stain removal is:

1. Be quick, immediately blot then flush with copious water.
2. apply a 'paste' of common table salt and cold water, let soak.
3. If no or little dilution/removal with #2, then immediately followed by HOT water and white Vinegar, soak. Use white wine if no WHITE vinegar available.
4. Shadows of the stain are removed soaking with 'OxyClean' or oxalic acid (for tannin extraction). The 'red' in red wine is a tannin.

Will work on red wine staining on gelcoat, raw teak and natural fabrics such as cotton/wool/rayon, etc.
The secret is 'quick' removal.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Save your money. The sun will bleach it out in a few days.

There is no food or drink that will stain gelcoat.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I learned the salt trick from a waiter in France. Spilled red wine on a white tablecloth covered with salt took the stain out in minutes. I would imagine if you did that wit a salt paste as previously mentioned would work the same way to,draw the wine out of the pores in the gelcoat.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Save your money. The sun will bleach it out in a few days.

There is no food or drink that will stain gelcoat.

no idea what you mean by this..... of course gelcoat will stain, lots of things stain it.:confused: Eventually, some will just naturally bleach out from the sun but that's not true of all stains. Some need attention AND time in the sun.
Maybe it depends on what you consider clean, unstained gelcoat. I've seen many that are so stained, they are a yellowish grey all over.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.