1973 Catalina 22 restoration winter project

Nov 18, 2012
Catalina 77 - 22 / 75 - 30 Lake Arthur, LA
I used Pettit's EasyDeck. It has silicone suspended in the one part Epoxy.

Sep 29, 2012
Catalina 22 Clucluz Lake, BC
I'm slowly getting everything back together in the comfort of my own shop. I had hoped to have the boat in the water by now but considering that it has rained every day for the last three weeks I guess its okay that it is still on the trailer. Nearly all of the stock hardware is back where it was, the next step will be to install the handful of upgrade gear from CD.

Aug 21, 2012
I'm slowly getting everything back together in the comfort of my own shop. I had hoped to have the boat in the water by now but considering that it has rained every day for the last three weeks I guess its okay that it is still on the trailer. Nearly all of the stock hardware is back where it was, the next step will be to install the handful of upgrade gear from CD.
Looks great any before pics

Sep 29, 2012
Looks great any before pics
I posted some before pictures at the start of this thread.

After a few more productive days nearly all of the original gear/hardware is back on the boat plus a few upgrades. Whats left to do now is some work on the mast including a new halyards kit, jib downhaul kit, windex and spreader brackets. Oh and I guess I should buy the pop top gasket and some hatch dogs so that the pop top will sit right and not fly off... it never ends.

For some reason the cockpit hatches are an extremely poor fit. By adding some weather stripping I made them close and sit a little bit better. What I really ought to do is shim the hinges out but I'll save that for another time. I was two tiles short of covering the cockpit floor so I'll have to buy another pack of those from Home Depot. And if you look really close you'll see that I put the pintles on incorrectly. :doh: How does my motor mount reinforcement look?

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Looks great. One thought... You should seal that plywood on your motor mount reinforcement. That will slowly suck up moisture and mildew and rot.

Thanks,

Andrew

Sep 25, 2008
Harpoon 5.2 Honolulu, HI
You might want to think about using a piece of treadmaster for the cockpit sole. It gives a very finished look, is available in a few colors and excellent traction as well.
Great job on your project!

May 26, 2013
Catalina United States High Cliff State Park
When you put the wood edging on the plywood for the table etc. How do you do that? Is it like steam bent and then pinned? Thanks.

Aug 3, 2012
Yes, that is a beautiful job on that table! That border looks 1/2 or 5/8 thick. Is it bent around those corners? Do tell!

Thanks,

Andrew

Sep 29, 2012
Thank you for all of your suggestions. I don't know about the cockpit flooring right now but I will seal the mount plywood and see if I can find some SS piano hinges.

The table is 3/4" oak plywood and the edge is a simple 1/16" iron on veneer. It comes in long rolls with an adhesive on the back. You then use an iron on the face to heat the glue and press it to the wood. I actually wouldn't suggest it. What I wish I did was rip some solid oak to 1/4"x3/4" then glue and clamp it on the edges. The corners I would have just mitred rather than rounded. The reason for this is because the iron on veneer isn't nearly as strong or durable as solid wood. This is what I plan to do once the edge becomes damaged.

Aug 3, 2012
Nice. There is that line along the edge that fooled me into thinking you had a wide strip long the edge. I have used the iron-on veneer too. It's only ok. You can get better quality veneer online.

Thanks,

Andrew

Jun 14, 2013
Catalina 27 Provo UT
I've enjoyed reading about your restoration. I can see you've spent a lot of time and lot of money into it. I'm curious if you keep and detailed records on the coast of specific repair jobs. I'm evaluation a similar project on a 22.

Sep 29, 2012
I've enjoyed reading about your restoration. I can see you've spent a lot of time and lot of money into it. I'm curious if you keep and detailed records on the coast of specific repair jobs. I'm evaluation a similar project on a 22.
I've kept all of my receipts in a folder but I haven't added them up... I'm a little afraid to. So far I think I've spent a little over $4000 for everything that I've done so far which I suppose isn't too bad. The keel overhaul was around $1000 (the welding alone cost $660), all of the paints added up to another $1000, and all of the new hardware and rigging from Catalina Direct was again about $1000. Plywood, epoxy, trailer parts, cleaners, brushes, rollers, fasteners, sealants and adhesives etc make up the rest. Have a look at chipford.com if you want to see some of the costs of a project like this really broken down. Overall he has spent around $30000 on his 1974 Cat 22... Once I buy a new main sail and get the lights to work I'll be into it for at least $11000. So unless you really want to fix up an old boat as a hobby it would be better worth your while to buy something not as derelict as I have.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Beautiful job on your restoration!! I like what you did with your table, I built a replacement for mine and almost went with the iron on veneer but opted for solid 3/4" mahogany all the way around. In hindsight, I guess something a little harder like oak would have been better since I've already scratched and bumped the edge a bit, but it sure looks pretty when the sun hits it.

May 26, 2013
Let us know how that Brightside holds up. I just can't decide between that or the Perfection.

May 26, 2013
yeah, but from what I hear you can't touch up perfection at all, and it's a bit of a sucker to apply, especially seeing as how I want to do the interior. I dunno it's a quandary. I have seen on other forums the whole boat paint debate inflate to epic proportions. I just don't see why it has to be like voodoo magic. Re-gelcoat, single stage, 2 part. I dunno. I would love to re-gel it, but dear lord the sanding.