1973 Catalina 22 restoration winter project

Sep 29, 2012
Catalina 22 Clucluz Lake, BC
Progress has slowed to a bit of a snails pace since I started working again. But this weekend I sanded down the rest of the keel and applied some West Systems 105 and 205 epoxy and hardener. I also re-built the sliding galley drawer with some oak scraps. Next weekend should be more eventful as we'll be reinstalling the keel, lifting the boat and setting it back on the trailer.

Sep 29, 2012
This was a productive weekend. The keel is back underneath, I'll slap some bottom paint on as much of it as I can next trip. We also had the neighbour reach his backhoe into the shop to lift the bow and return the trailer. So I was also able to pull it out and wash it in preparation for painting soon.

Here is my new scupper plumbing (I'll add the pipe clamps later) and break winch. Its not coated in zinc but I won't be sailing on saltwater anyways.

Jan 7, 2012
catalina 22 Cave Run Lake
Gotta say you are doing a great job redoing that boat. Enjoying the pictures and updates on your boat. Interesting way to get the keel back up. Just wondering if anyone has mentioned or did you think about using a big truck transmission jack for that? Seems like it would be so much easier. Thinking if I drop mine I will try this. One thing is for sure you will have a solid boat when you are finished!

Sep 29, 2012
We used what was readily available to us. My father's neighbour is a logger and has some heavy equipment at his house and was willing to help us out so the backhoe was our best option.

We learnt a few things while reinstalling the keel and pivot hardware that I thought I should pass on. Once you get the old bolts out, chase the threads with a tap to make getting the new ones in a little easier. The pivot pin is the right length but the hanger and SS bushing are both a little oversized (at least for my boat). I ground the bushing a 1/4" shorter once it was installed, curved most of the edges of the hanger, sanded a little bit off of the inside faces, and bore the holes 1/16" larger.

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
The little 2.5 hp motor I had on my 22 was more than adaquate. We sailed from the dock and to the dock, most of the time. If the wind died down in the evening we needed the engine .
A larger motor is way too heavy on that boat on a port tack, and larger motors usaully require seperate/external fuel tanks.....
Another plus was the motor pivoted 360 degrees, because of no reverse. It made it easier docking or leaving the dock in tight circumstances

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
NO, we kept the boat on the trailer in "dry sail" , and plugged into the marina power.
The power output on the engine on the 9.9hp we had on our Catalina 25 was barely enough to compensate for the power needed to start the engine a burn the running/cabin lights, as well as the electronics ( ie; sounder,speed,gps, and vhf/stereo radios).
There again the boat was meant to sail and not motor.
Even being that it was a four stroke albeit long shaft, it made a diference in weigth distribution on a starboard tack. ( motor on the starboard of a 25, as opposed to the port of the 22)
We used a charger with the shore power on the 25 to maintain charge.......

Sep 29, 2012
I'll wait and see for myself how the weight of the Yamaha feels once I'm out there this summer. I thought a lot about buying a new 6hp Tohatsu Sailpro rather than this used 9.9. My rational in the end is that I could use it on a larger boat if/when I decide to upgrade and it could more likely get me out of trouble eventually when I go to the ocean. I'm hoping that the weight of the sliding galley helps to offset its weight but if it doesn't and it becomes a problem I should be able to sell it for what I paid and buy a new Tohatsu with what I receive.

The break winch was bought at Princess Auto which is a franchise that is only in Canada I think. Its their in-store brand (made in China). I checked and I don't see it on their website. They are probably still on sale so if you really want to save a buck I could probably buy one and ship it to you for around $40-50.

Sep 29, 2012
It will be another week or two before I go out to primer everything, in the mean time I'm putting the final touches on my wish list / shopping cart for CD. In my previous order I purchased a new mast step, tiller, keel hanger and shims (obviously). I'd appreciate any recommendations that people might have before I place this next one. Nearly everything that was on my boat was original so I'm replacing and upgrading a few things that I think are necessary and adding a few modern conveniences. So do you see any wastes of money or good opportunities to spend more on missing items?

Forward lower shrouds
Aft lower shrouds
Spreader brackets for oval mast
Jib car w/ ball bearing block for 15/16" track
Rigging tension gauge 3/32 to 5/32
Stem Reinforcement Assembly
Bow eye rebuild kit
External halyards to cockpit w/ cleats kit
Windex 15 kit and custom bracket
Transom Trim
Butt hinges x4 1-1/2" 1-5/16"
Vent solar powered 4" SS
Keel Cable Assembly
Sail Twine
Boom Topping lift C22
Jib downhaul kit
Cockpit Scupper gates
14 pack air flow tells
8" Floating winch handle

I'm also thinking of ordering the Cansail Tiller Lock from another site. From what I've read it has much better reviews than the Tiller Tamer and I'm not too sure I like the looks of CDs Tiller Stay Controller.

Sep 29, 2012
I haven't posted any photos in a week so here is some new eye candy. I've been slowly cleaning up and tinting the windows whenever I've had a few minutes with nothing better to do. Its surprisingly easy, I can't believe I was going to pay someone else big bucks to do this for me. Just cleanup the glass as well as you can and follow the directions for the tinting film. Once they're all back together I'll re-silicone the glass to the frames with some black door/window caulking and I'll probably use butyl tape when I reinstall them in the boat.

I was also a bit lazy about showing off all of the teak that I sanded down and re-oiled last fall. Considering that its all 40 years old I think it looks pretty good... at least from this vantage point.

Nearly all of the stainless and aluminum is polished now including the bow and stern pulpits. I did go out and buy an electric buffer but most of these were done by hand. So far I've burned through three 141g containers of Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish plus some other stuff that I had laying around that didn't work as well. You can sort of see how dull they used to look in some of the earlier pictures or in post #18.

Aug 27, 2011
Catalina 27 Titusville, FL
It will be another week or two before I go out to primer everything, in the mean time I'm putting the final touches on my wish list / shopping cart for CD. In my previous order I purchased a new mast step, tiller, keel hanger and shims (obviously). I'd appreciate any recommendations that people might have before I place this next one. Nearly everything that was on my boat was original so I'm replacing and upgrading a few things that I think are necessary and adding a few modern conveniences. So do you see any wastes of money or good opportunities to spend more on missing items?

Forward lower shrouds
Aft lower shrouds
Spreader brackets for oval mast
Jib car w/ ball bearing block for 15/16" track
Rigging tension gauge 3/32 to 5/32
Stem Reinforcement Assembly
Bow eye rebuild kit
External halyards to cockpit w/ cleats kit
Windex 15 kit and custom bracket
Transom Trim
Butt hinges x4 1-1/2" 1-5/16"
Vent solar powered 4" SS
Keel Cable Assembly
Sail Twine
Boom Topping lift C22
Jib downhaul kit
Cockpit Scupper gates
14 pack air flow tells
8" Floating winch handle

I'm also thinking of ordering the Cansail Tiller Lock from another site. From what I've read it has much better reviews than the Tiller Tamer and I'm not too sure I like the looks of CDs Tiller Stay Controller.
Get your butt hinges from Ace Hardware, better quality and a whole lot cheaper.

Sep 29, 2012
According to Ace Hardware's Canadian website there are at least two locations in my province under differen't names. The closest one is 4 hours away and specializes in plumbing so I don't know if I'll have any luck with them. They also don't list stainless steel hinges on their website so it doesn't look like I can order them. I just checked the American site as well and it doesn't look like I could order that product over it either.