Zodiac or Walker Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jbrbetc

Contemplating purchasing a tender to take ashore. Having difficulty deciding if a Zodiac style or Walker Bay Dinghy makes more sense. I can foresee hauling a zodiac on to the foredeck and for the Walker Bay setting up a davit system off the stern. Curious how the 8' Walker Bay hung off the stern would do when keeled over or in rough waters. Any insight would be much appreciated.

R

Ron Roy

jbrbetc, We bought the Walker Bay 8' 5 years ago and we're not sorry. We also bought the Weaver snap davits, those we're sorry , our Hunter 30's transom wasn't wide enough to adapt. If you decide on the Walker and would like to talk davits, they are for sale. Ron

May 5, 2004
Hunter 386 Little River, SC
One mans opinion is.....

that it is only a matter of time before you fall in if you get the Walker Bay. It is called a tender, and for good reason. Too much weight to either side, and the gunwale is awash. You cannot sit on the rail, and weight distribution is critical. The inflatable is a stable platform, and can be stored in a small space if needed. Good luck....Jeff

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I agree with Jeff, except I wouldn't buy a Zodiac

Inflatables are very stable and assuming you have a small outbaord to push them, I think they are the best choice. They also don't bang against your hull and are light enough to pull up on the foredeck for cruising. If you are going to row, inflatables are hard- get a rigid hull. Regarding Zodiac, I and many others have had a bad time with them with seams opening up. I have repaired my 1997 FastRoller 3 times. This summer on a month-long cruise the bottom nearly fell out and it cost me 3 days to get the glue and do a repair. I will personally never buy a Zodiac again. This goes for the Zodiac-built private lables as well- like WM, Mercury, and probably others. Get one that is made from Hypalon, not PVC.

Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 28.5 Palm Coast, FL
I have both a Zodiac and a Walker Bay 8

The Wakler Bay 8 is tender, rows very well and tows easily. I even have the sail kit and enjoy sailing it like a dink. However, it is tender and at sometime or another it will dump you. My Zodiac doesn't tow as well, doesn't row nearly as easily, has lot's less interior space, is slightly less tender and is more boyant. However, I have also dumped it a few times with out much doing. Both motor about the same with my 2 hp Honda and neither do well in rough water as they are both very wet in sheltered water. The choce is a tuff one. Perhaps the answer is a Walker Bay 10 or a larger hard bottomed Zoidiac.

Jun 12, 2004
Allied Mistress 39 Ketch Kemah,Tx.
Inflatable

My choice for an inflatable was based on safety. I'm 200lbs, can stand on the sides of the inflatable and not even a hint of it rolling over. This also makes it safer for women that are usually not as agile as men. If you get into a chop with any popular dinghy/tender u will take on water and possibly sink. In an inflatable, you will just get wet, but still be floating. As for davits, never hang dinghy from them in open water for obvious reasons. More than one boat has had their davits ripped out of the boat by a swamping. Most inflatables probably weigh more than a walker bay and DEFFINATELY are much harder if not impossible to row into the wind or sea. Make your decision based on what u think u will use it for most and when u think u will really need it. I have a Catalina 30 and like most sailboats, getting from the stern ladder into the dink is not as easy as it sounds, i opted for the stability of the inflatable BTW, if you will be beaching on sharp shells or rocks, only the rigid bottom will do.

Sep 2, 2005
- - Wilmington, Delaware
Walker bay

I think you should look at what "Pratical Sailor" had to say about the Walker Bay. My personal opinion is that with the inflatable collar it is the best dink out there, gives the best of both worlds, and is reasonably priced. and you can row it, sail it, motor it and it is easy to tow.

Jun 12, 2004
Allied Mistress 39 Ketch Kemah,Tx.
THATS IT !!!!!!!!! I changed my mind

If you have the room on your deck, the Walker Bay with the inflatable collar would be the best way to go. More versatile and more fun especially if you get it with the sail. When we take trips of a few weeks at a time, we have as much fun exploring and playing with the dink as we do sailing. We also dink a lot when at our marina......when it was still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.