Zinc's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rch

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 30 Conneaut, OH
I recently purchased an oday 30, 1982 model.I am finding that the boat was maintained very poorly. I only recently put the boat in the water, had problems with the diesel. The previous owners never changed the fuel filters. Anyway I was reading the owners manual and it mentioned checking the zinc in the heat exchanger. I was looking today and can't see anything that resembles a zinc, at least nothing that I recongnize. I'm worried about this after finding out about the fuel filters. Can anyone tell me where the zinc's are located.How to go about changing it or them. I didn't notice one on the propeller shaft when I launched the boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would also be interested in anything any of you have done. Like adding more in other locations. I have a Universal 5416 engine (M20). Rich

J

J.B. Dyer

Zinc Replacement

Good Morning! I have an M25, but I believe that the exchangers are the same. The zinc in the heat exchanger is on the bottom port side of the exchanger. It looks like a little drain plug. If it has never been changed, all that will be there is a nut as probably the zinc will have been eaten away by now. The zinc itself is a small rod about 3/16 in diameter and about 1.5 inches long that is made as a part of the nut. They can be obtained from Marine Diesel Direct. They are not that expensive and I usually order several at a time.

P

Pat

HOLD THAT NUT

Watch out when you are removing that old anode you can twist off the nut from the heat exchanger. Hold back on the nut with another wrench!!!

Rch

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 30 Conneaut, OH
Thanks

Thanks Guys, the advice is greatly appreciated.Every little bit of info helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.