zinc plated hardware

Feb 6, 2019
None None None
I'm dealing with replacing a few non-crucial / non-safety items for the season and the costs are adding up astonishingly quickly. I'm thinking about taking a shortcut on a few items sch as the lazarette hinges. The proper stainless are between $30-$60... I need.. all of them. Ouch.

So I'm considering getting zinc plated hinges instead.

Anyone tried it? Will they last for a while in saltwater? If I can get 2 seasons out of them before replacing again, that's good enough for me.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Galvanizing is zinc plating. So, as long as the zinc plating holds up the hinge should as well. However, in places where the zinc has worn or been scratched off the underlying metal will rust quickly.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Don't do it! Rust stains on hull and rusty hinges! Oiled heavy leather is an option. Chief

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Amazon has several marine hinges listed as SS under $15/pr. A couple are listed as 316 SS. Even if not top quality SS, would probably still be better than zinc plated steel.

FYI, I frequently check Amazon for marine parts I find at other venders. Sometimes they have the same brand cheaper, other times they are pricer. Never hurts to check.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Or used we have Salty Dog here in Norfolk. But there's Sailing Texas and Bacon in Annapolis

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Stanley Hardware, found in real hardwares, carries SS hinges in several designs. I wouldn't use the zinc plated in a salt water environment.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
You could buy a 3 foot long piano hinge made from carbon fiber from McMaster-Carr for about $110. Would that give you enough length to cut out all the hinges you'd need? Just a thought...

316 piano hinges are lots cheaper, just realized. You can buy one of those in up to 8 foot lengths. If you can work with a piano hinge, that might be the cheapest way to go...
dj

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
FYI, I frequently check Amazon for marine parts I find at other venders. Sometimes they have the same brand cheaper, other times they are pricer. Never hurts to check.
I ordered Yanmar parts once and they finally showed up 2 weeks later in a brown mailing envelope with a hand-written address from Bulgaria :yikes:
But yes, other stuff can be cheaper and I agree that the SS would be preferable to the galvanized hinges.