Zinc or not to zinc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lyn

Should I install a zinc to the propeller shaft of my 27' Hunter or is the internal zinc on my 1gm yanmar good enough? If I should install, any rec. what's best to buy and where?

T

Terry

LYN, YES. I WOULD BE SURPRISED IF YOUR...

Yanmar has a zinc. Most do not, being fresh water cooled and sealed. Easy to install and most marine stores carry them. I usually install two on my shaft. Terry

P

Pete

shaft zincs

Yes,you should install a shaft zinc.The zinc is needed in addition to the engine zinc. depending on where you are (where is dighton?)zinc should be replaced every year or sooner if needed. Remember that even if a zinc looks "good" it may not be. The weight of the zinc tells the story more then appearance. Zinc are cheap (less then $10) and a good value compared to the damage that could occur without it.Your marina or any boating store will have zincs(you need to know shaft size) Good Luck !

T

Tim McCarty

What if there is no room on the shaft??

I've heard of Zinc Anodes that can be mounted on the back of the prop (as a lock nut??) Anybody know where I can get one. I used to put a zinc on the shaft of my old h27. Why, because, one day, when I pulled the old bronze shaft (zincless) to replace the cutlass bearing, the damn shaft cracked (and this is in freshwater). So, I put a new stainless shaft in, and, added the zinc. Now, I want a zinc on my new boat, but, can't fit one on the shaft. Any help??

T

Terry

WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO ROOM...

I have yet to see a sail boat with no space between the strut and hull. The zinc takes up very little space and is well worth it. I've never seen a zinc that mounts on the threaded end of the prop shaft. I think a boat yard or surveyor would advise against it just as they would on the strut. Terry

T

Tim McCarty

It's true...

There is HONESTLY no room on the shaft to install a zinc. The strut is molded into the hull, and, there is about half an inch clearance between the end of the strut, and, where the propeller is located. About the only place to put a zinc is at the end of the shaft (as a lock nut...which I've heard is possible), or, install a zinc plate into the hull itself (which I really don't want to do). Perhaps next Saturday, when I'm down at the boat, I'll take a picture and post it.

D

David

Propnut zinc

Tim many full keel boats have the cutless in the keel with the prop flush against it as you describe. There are at least two types of prop nut zincs that can be installed. A good prop shop will have what you need.

C

Chuck Wayne

29.5 zincs

Tim, what kind of 29.5 do you have? my 96 29.5 had plenty of room on the shaft for 2 zincs (i like insurance)

T

Tim McCarty

Seriously...

I have a '94 29.5, and, I swear, there is no room for a zinc on the shaft itself. The strut is molded into the hull, and, there is maybe half an inch clearance between the end of the strut and the prop. I stood there, when the boat was hauled out and surveyed the situation for about 20 minutes. But, this weekend I'll take another look (maybe I'm losing my mind)...thanks for the input though... Tim

T

Terry

I HAD HUNTER ON MY MIND...

Lyn, I looked at a Freedom 40 today, which has a full keel and no room for a zinc on the shaft. The owner had one screwed/bolted onto the end of the prop shaft. No idea on a source. Terry

T

Tim McCarty

Trying to attach a photo, but....

not having too much luck. There is actually about an inch between the end of the strut and the prop...still not enough to fit a zinc on the shaft. Thanks for the suggestion about Camp zincs...I'll look into it

Status
Not open for further replies.