Zinc on strut?

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Don’t weaken the strut by drilling a hole in it for an anode that is better placed on the prop shaft.
As the strut is electrically isolated from the shaft, anodes on the shaft do not protect it. If the strut is suffering from corrosion, it needs an anode attached to it.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
As the strut is electrically isolated from the shaft, anodes on the shaft do not protect it. If the strut is suffering from corrosion, it needs an anode attached to it.
How would a strut be “electrically isolated” from the shaft with which it is in direct contact and both in water?

Feb 26, 2011
Not all struts are electrically isolated. Some are connected to the bonding system.
The point is that the strut is not in direct electrical contact with the shaft and that the shaft anodes do not protect it.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The point is that the strut is not in direct electrical contact with the shaft and that the shaft anodes do not protect it.
If the strut is in the bonding system, it is indeed connected to the shaft through the bonding system.

Feb 26, 2011
If the strut is in the bonding system, it is indeed connected to the shaft through the bonding system.
Yes, I get it. But the shaft anodes are not protecting it. The electrical pathway is too long and too resistant. But perhaps you can provide some evidence that I am mistaken.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Yes, I get it. But the shaft anodes are not protecting it.
Like most generalities, this isn’t always true. On many (most?) boats, the shaft anode is within inches of the strut, all of which are electrically connected with little if any resistance. Each is therefore at the same electrical potential.