Zinc Guppy on Hunter 410

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
I'm looking at getting a zinc guppy for use while in my marina (a power boater told me he had to replace both props due to stray current here), and am wondering what to attach it to as there is no backstay with a bonded chainplate. Any other H410 owners using zinc guppies in addition to their usual shaft zincs, and if so, what do you attach to? Thanks in advance for any help!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You need to attach such a device to your shaft so that the electrical potential is absorbed by the zinc and not your shaft/prop. Just being sure that your shaft zincs are changed regularly is what most boat owners need to do. By regularly I mean that they are inspected and replaced when about 50% consummed. This varies in different marinas. You may need it done every 2 months while others may go a year in their location.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
wherever you decide, it’s efficacy to protect the prop is a function of resistance between the prop and anode. To ensure the best path, we have a #10 wire attached from the zinc directly to the shaft which is where I hang the ignition key ensuring we don’t get underway with it still connected.
While not the easiest method, it beats intermediate connection problems with any other alternative.

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
Thank you both for your advice. The HangTuff zinc anode from boatzincs.com has a 15' cable, so hopefully it can enter through the port transom locker hatch and follow the exhaust hose back to the prop shaft. Hanging the keys from the cable is a good idea as well--- I've been known to have senior moments....

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Wherever you decide to attach the cable to, check the resistance from that point to the SS shaft with an ohmeter. It should be near "0".