Z-spar gooseneck: repair or replace

Jaxn

May 17, 2021
O'Day 272 Percy Priest
I ordered a reef hook from rigrite but I can't fit it without taking the gooseneck off the mast. It looks like I have the "old style" gooseneck where the vertical pins are a part of the gooseneck itself and it is mounted to the mast with two separate brackets (one top and one bottom). After taking the boom off and getting a good look at things, it appears I am missing the bottom bushing.

It appears that I need to remove at least one of the brackets in order to add the reef hook (after ordering another reef hook since I dropped this one in the lake today).

I suspect I need to replace the bottom bracket and maybe the gooseneck itself due wear from the missing bushing.

So my question is, is it possible and/or worth it to upgrade to the newer style gooseneck (single mast bracket, removable vertical pin)? Or should I repair/replace what is already there?

I think both the old and new style gooseneck use the same fitting on the boom.

I could also probably rig a different reef hook and try just adding a new bushing without removing anything, but that seems like a bad idea and only delaying the inevitable.
20210711_114536.jpg
20210711_114530.jpg