YSM12 - Exhaust Manifold / Mixin Elbow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2005
Catalina C-30 Mattituck, NY
Hey all - Posting a question here with regard to a YSM12 Yanmar fitted into a '78 Catalina 30. The exhaust system on my boat was installed by the PO and is an aftermarket manifold lift w/ mixing elbow that was custom manufactured. It basically comes off the engine on the aft-starboard side - crosses aft and lifts across to the port side to then mix and dump into the water-lift located on the starboard side of the engine. Its a water-jacketed lift manifold and mixes cooling water and exhaust as it dumps into the water-lift.

The system is nice and worked well but failed 2x on me right where the manifold bolts to the engine. I had it welded but I am afraid its beyond repair. The inner exhaust pipe is failing and is covered by the jacket so its difficult to weld.

So Yanmar does make a YSM mixing elbow that lifts and mixes cooling water with exhaust gas. My question is as follows: Does the Yanmar issued-mixing elbow fit into the C-30 engine compartment? I see from diagrams I am able to find online that it does rise above the upper-most portion of the motor but I cant get any dimensions on how high. All the parts I need are supplied by Torrsens and comes in at around $300.

Thanks and appreciate any insight.

- Rob

Nov 28, 2008
Catalina 30 Northport, NY
Hi Rob,
I just built a crossover pipe and had the riser/inlet piece recovered from the 25 year old piece on my Cat30 with 5411 diesel, 1982. The pipes cost me, probably $20, and I paid for a threaded piece and flange which was the connection to the exhaust manifold.
Hope this helps a bit. The Westerbeke riser was enormous and like $200 or so.

May 10, 2004
Catalina 30 Puget Sound
I did the same fabrication as Bruce on my YSE12. It has lasted eight years and counting. Very simple installation. Simply buy the elbows and thread them together....heh heh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.