YSM Single-Lever Engine Control Installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Manteo, NC
I thought I'd post this message because back a while ago when I was searching the archives on the subject, I really couldn't find anything helpful. I recently replaced the Edson engine controls on my '79 Hunter 30 with a single-lever unit from Vetus that controls both throttle and shift. Works GREAT, and was relatively inexpensive to install. I thought the Edson unit was poorly designed, and not really field-servicable. It left me stranded miles from home once. Fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me - that kinda thing. So I decided it was time for a change. After doing loads of research, I settled on the Vetus SICO, although the Morse CH 2100 was a viable alternative, just a bit more expensive. Took me about 3 hours to locate, drill, and install the whole thing. I mounted the lever on the port side cockpit wall - just below and forward of the Yanmar control panel. Here are a few details. Boat: 1979 Hunter 30 Engine: YSM 12 Cables: 2 - Morse 33 (1-7 feet, 1-8 feet) Cost: around $200 I'll check back to see if anyone has further questions.

T

Terry Cox, Hunter 42, Belle-Vie

Debo, nice article. I've never tried the single...

lever system so I cannot share your experience. However, I do like the reliability of the Edson dual lever system on our boat. I find it easy and inexpensive to field service yourself. Like any man made mechanical device, whether single or dual lever, they break. Having a spare cable available in such a situation, or a backup plan, will help with a safe return to port. Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.