YSM 8 Troubles

May 11, 2013
Yamaha 25 Middle Island
I'm the proud owner of a Yamaha 25 at mooring in Hong Kong. The YSM 8 is giving or has given up the ghost. At the moment a professional mechanic can get it started with ether, but I can't and considering the good service it's given over the last 35 years I figure it's time to move on. So, rebuild or replace? I know that a previous poster on this forum decided on rebuilding a couple of years ago. I'm okay with that, but I wonder if it would be faster and easier just to go for a newer, possibly Chinese, engine. I am in China, after all, and the sampan operators seem to get good use of their Chinese engines. But, I'm wondering what engines of any origin would fit in the vee berth with minimal extra work. Later model Yanmars? Or, given the issues of size, fit and existing connections and plumbing, rebuild after all? If any of the Hong Kong and Macau poster reads this, referrals to sources of supply would also be very welcome.

Dec 20, 2011
Cal 28 Eagle River
I have the same engine, and I would just repair it ! Easy to work on horizontal motor can be reslieved and you can change rod and piston without removel of motor or engine oil ! With the book to guide you it is an easy fix...Dale

May 10, 2004
Catalina 30 Puget Sound
Easy fix. I had same problem. Needed ether to start. Sometimes that didn't work. Installed a new fuel pump and it starts every time in 2 seconds. I guess the old one was just wore out after 30 years. Don't give up on this engine. It will run forever...... Sean

Boffin

Aug 30, 2010
yahama 25 Hong Kong
I got mine re-engine 2 years ago, because too many items that I needed to replace and to fix inside the engine room is a pain. I look after the engine myself for some 30 years , and I know the limit. BTW , you can still ordered most of the parts to overhaul from the Agent, or in the internet , just search by Google . Modification of the seat ( in the hull) is straight forward. If re-engine , you may need to replace the pro because most of the modern engine in Right hand pro. the YAM8 is left hand pro. Yamaha, or Nanni can do .

May 20, 2013
Yamaha 25 Macau
Right hand vs Left hand propeller

Hello,
I am new here as I just bought a "brand new" Yamaha 25 in Macau.
Eventually the right hand vs left hand issue may be solved reversing the gear control if the forward and reverse gear ratios are the same.
I got mine re-engine 2 years ago, because too many items that I needed to replace and to fix inside the engine room is a pain. I look after the engine myself for some 30 years , and I know the limit. BTW , you can still ordered most of the parts to overhaul from the Agent, or in the internet , just search by Google . Modification of the seat ( in the hull) is straight forward. If re-engine , you may need to replace the pro because most of the modern engine in Right hand pro. the YAM8 is left hand pro. Yamaha, or Nanni can do .

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
No offense, but reading manuals and understanding how things work goes a long ways toward knowing how to solve problems efficiently.

Its a simple engine that can be almost totally rebuilt from top to bottom in place. Props are designed to turn one way efficiently, not reversed. If you change engines and it turns backwards, you need a different prop.

Rebuilding that engine, using all the major parts over, will be the most economical. I believe a liner and piston set is around $300 US, for under $1000 you could possibly have a new engine ready for another 30 years, spinning the same prop thats on it now.

Sep 5, 2010
Yamaha 25 Hebe Heaven
The engine of my Y25 has been replaced by Yanmar 2YM15 engine by the previous owner some 5 years ago.

I'm based in HK too. If you decided to have a new engine, I can ask the previous owner for info if he still have it.

May 11, 2013
Yamaha 25 Middle Island

Thanks to every who chimed in! I am indeed rebuilding this engine. Sadly, I don't have the tool sets (or the time) to do the work myself, and I'm not sure whether there is the clearance to do things like pull the cylinder with the engine in place. So, a delightful pro from the Sum Wan Temporary Industrial Area in Aberdeen Harbor pulled the engine and stripped it down while I gathered parts from different sources in Hong Kong and the U.S. I delivered the last tranche of pieces to him last Saturday. I'm hoping the engine goes back together and in over the next little bit. I'll report back once I'm at the end of this process.

Jul 2, 2013
Yamaha 25 Phoenix, AZ
Yanmar rebuild would like to pick your brain

Thanks to every who chimed in! I am indeed rebuilding this engine. Sadly, I don't have the tool sets (or the time) to do the work myself, and I'm not sure whether there is the clearance to do things like pull the cylinder with the engine in place. So, a delightful pro from the Sum Wan Temporary Industrial Area in Aberdeen Harbor pulled the engine and stripped it down while I gathered parts from different sources in Hong Kong and the U.S. I delivered the last tranche of pieces to him last Saturday. I'm hoping the engine goes back together and in over the next little bit. I'll report back once I'm at the end of this process.
Im rebuilding mine as we speak still try to find the best source for parts thank you in advance!

May 11, 2013
Yamaha 25 Middle Island
Im rebuilding mine as we speak still try to find the best source for parts thank you in advance!
I put in two orders with the local Hong Kong Yanmar dealer, and one with Torreson (TOAD) Marine in Michigan. In retrospect I should have gone with one or the other, local for speed, perhaps, and TOAD for economy. If you're in North America I'd recommend TOAD. I had a couple of long telephone conversations with their parts guy, and he was very helpful and easy to work with. TOAD is very easy to find on the web.

furdui

Jun 4, 2011
Yamaha 25 MkII Sugar Bay Lake Macquarie
left or right hand thread crankshaft

Happy New Year to everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know what kind of thread,left or right hand,the nut(round with two cuts for the spanner) which holds the pulies for w/pump & alternator on crankshaft,has?
motor:Yanmar ysb8

Thanks

I put in two orders with the local Hong Kong Yanmar dealer, and one with Torreson (TOAD) Marine in Michigan. In retrospect I should have gone with one or the other, local for speed, perhaps, and TOAD for economy. If you're in North America I'd recommend TOAD. I had a couple of long telephone conversations with their parts guy, and he was very helpful and easy to work with. TOAD is very easy to find on the web.

Jun 20, 2009
Yamaha 25, 33, 37 San Diego
Yanmar Dealer in San Diego

Hello to all fellow boaters:

If your boat is in Arizona, you may contact Packwest in Shelter Island, San Diego for complete support. I had them rebuild my Yanmar engine on my Yamaha 33, Scheherezade, and this year we pulled out and had them rebuild the Yanmar transmission on our current Yamaha 37, Sarah V.

They are great and cost effective.

Fair winds,

Ed Serra
Sarah V

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hello to all fellow boaters:

If your boat is in Arizona, you may contact Packwest in Shelter Island, San Diego for complete support. I had them rebuild my Yanmar engine on my Yamaha 33, Scheherezade, and this year we pulled out and had them rebuild the Yanmar transmission on our current Yamaha 37, Sarah V.

They are great and cost effective.

Fair winds,

Ed Serra
Sarah V
Another recommendation here for PacWest in Shelter Island. Tohatsu experts also.

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
Happy New Year All. I found this photo on another forum. It applies to our boats as we use the same wet exhaust mixing elbow.

The photo tells the tale and can be the root of all evil. I maintain mine by bead-blasting the piece inside and out. New ones cost around $200 USD.

Attachments