Your Opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockp2

Apr 19, 2008
Hunter 22 Auburn, PA (driveway)
OK Folks,
Bottom line up front, I have attached some pics and am seeking opinions.

I made an impulse buy (I know, I know) and bought a little 14' BB Swan quoted as based off a Beetlecat catboat design for $500.00. Bascially while I am restoring my H22 (got the new hatch last week and am almost finished reapairinng the rudder, but t is looking shaky for me to have finished this season), I wanted something more besides my Catamaran to sail on our small lake.

I live two blocks from the lake and I figured this would be a neat trainer more similar to when I have the H22 ready to go. Before you start typing, I am going to take courses from an organization in Philly before I take the H22 out :D. Though I have sailed Hobie Cats for many years, I realize a single hull design is a different animal.

So, your opinion? Did I make a good purchase at a fair price, or would my wife be validated in having me sleep on the couch for the next few years? Don't hold back :). Thanks!

P.S. It's a 1949 and the hull is fiberglass. It is ready to sail now and has everything needed. The rudder and sails are not original. It was painted 2 years ago with Interlux. Bronze cleats and chocks were also nstalled.

Attachments

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
is gorgeous--take her sailing in it and let her name it and you should be ok......goood luck---

rockp2

Apr 19, 2008
oooooh, that's a great idea! She's on a business trip until Friday and I was going to gold leaf a nickname I have for her on the transom before she got back..."Surprise Honey! I was thinking of you and our togetherness time....".... But I like your idea Zeehag better!

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
if ye gotta place a name on transom, place her name on it lol--she CANNOT killye then lol.....

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Sweet!

I think you get to continue sleeping in your bedroom....:dance:

Dave D

May 7, 2009
hunter 26 Jordan Lake
:kick:dude! Really? You could get more than your money if you sold it for parts! nice find! in fact I'll give you $550 for it, that's 10% right away on your money! You'd have to deliver it though.

rockp2

Apr 19, 2008
:kick:dude! Really? You could get more than your money if you sold it for parts! nice find! in fact I'll give you $550 for it, that's 10% right away on your money! You'd have to deliver it though.
LOL...appreciate the offer, but $550.00 minus gas there and back wouldn't quite end up being 10% on my money :)

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
easier to put yer honeys name on transom lol

Bonzai

Jun 23, 2009
Chris-Craft SailYacht 35 St. Simon's Island, Ga.
Looks like it would be a hoot! Now you'll have to find time to sail and work on the H22. I also have a reluctant crew.....let me know how you come out!

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Super looking boat. The trailer is worth your investment. If it truly is a 1949 boat, you have a little bit of history as well; that would make it one of the oldest fiberglass boats known. It might not be THE oldest fiberglass boat, but certainly ONE of the oldest fiberglass boats left around.

As an arm-chair fiberglass historian of sorts, I would cherish owning the oat, and would have given way more than you did to have it, just based on its age. congrats, great find!!!!

rockp2

Apr 19, 2008
Forgot to mention the trailer did not come with it. However, I just picked it up and I think I got a sweet deal. It is very sound and was well taken care of. From the hours of internet searching I did last night I think it is a Beetle Boat Swan. The lines look exactly the same in every detail. I think I have an antique that has some intrinsic value. I couldn't locate a data plate, but the title states it is a '49. I realize that over the years word of mouth could have changed the title year. Phil is there any characteristic I can look for that would confirm the year? Also, does anyone have a line on where I could get a good deal on a Marconi sail designed specifically for a BB Swan? (It's actually a 12' boat, not 14). Right now it has a sail for a Lehman 12 and the seller would roll reef it a turn or 2. I think the rudder is original. The hardware looks to be so. This is one of my better ebay buys I think :). -Herv

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
As the armchair historian, I am unaware of any unique features that would prove the year. I did find this though: http://repete.uri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0401&L=catboats&P=8751 an excerpt: If it has an all-plywood foredeck, 1947. If it has a foredeck of plywood covering a fiberglass foredeck, late 1947 and 1948 . If it is all fiberglass, except for the cockpit floor (which should have a GE builder's plate attached to it), and if it measures 12' '6" by
6' 0", 1949 and perhaps 1950. If it is all fiberglass and measures 12' 8" by 6' 4", 1951 and later. The later boats had other improvements, such as built-in foam flotation and a deepr-draft rudder. Lea Wilds, Norfolk, VA

I see a few of these for sale, for WAY more than you bought it for... I would recommend getting in touch with others who have them for sale to see if they can assis you with measuring existing sails that are out there.

This one for example appears to have a proper Marconi sail:
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi...ault&uid=default&view_records=1&ID=10379&mh=1

Or this one, that ironically looks like the very same boat:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rare...emQQimsxZ20090810?IMSfp=TL0908101510003r30774

You might search lofts as well; the sail might be a custom item, but I bet the dimensions and details exist somewhere.

Sonya

Oct 9, 2007
Mirage Sloop 25 Spanish, Ontario, Canada
Wow, what a little beauty, how can your wife resist it.....I was going to suggest some positive floatation but I see from a earlier post she may already have it....

Sonya

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
History

As the armchair historian, I am unaware of any unique features that would prove the year. I did find this though: http://repete.uri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0401&L=catboats&P=8751 an excerpt: If it has an all-plywood foredeck, 1947. If it has a foredeck of plywood covering a fiberglass foredeck, late 1947 and 1948 . If it is all fiberglass, except for the cockpit floor (which should have a GE builder's plate attached to it), and if it measures 12' '6" by
6' 0", 1949 and perhaps 1950. If it is all fiberglass and measures 12' 8" by 6' 4", 1951 and later. The later boats had other improvements, such as built-in foam flotation and a deepr-draft rudder. Lea Wilds, Norfolk, VA

I see a few of these for sale, for WAY more than you bought it for... I would recommend getting in touch with others who have them for sale to see if they can assis you with measuring existing sails that are out there.

This one for example appears to have a proper Marconi sail:
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi...ault&uid=default&view_records=1&ID=10379&mh=1

Or this one, that ironically looks like the very same boat:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rare...emQQimsxZ20090810?IMSfp=TL0908101510003r30774

You might search lofts as well; the sail might be a custom item, but I bet the dimensions and details exist somewhere.
Way back when I heard that fiberglass was first used in production boats in 1959. I had, for some reason, assumed that it must have been a new product at that time. After reading your post I got to wondering just how long fiberglass has been around so did a search and found this: http://www.arizonaoutback.com/nuggetfinder/fiberglass.html
which I thought you might also find interesting if you don't already know this info.

Jul 17, 2009
Endeavour/Chrysler E-32/C-22 swimming pool
Great buy I was looking at that when it was forsale. you saved me from the couch:D( it would be worth it.

Don't worry when it comes to your first sail on the H22, My first sail on my C-22 lasted 3 days and 3 nights:dance: with only one sail on a friends C-22.

I still want something like that just to play and was thinking sunfish when I first saw that.

Tell the wife its an investment that you can have fun with, if shes anything like mine she understands profit.

tvange

Oct 8, 2009
None yet none yet Århus
Heh, I always find it amusing that some men have to have spousal approval for purchases. My wife and both work and as long as we can still pay for joint expenses, she doesn't care how I spend my money, since they're money I've earned myself. No joint account (except for a budget account for joint expenses).
I'll freely admit that I'll talk to her before buying a boat, for the sole reason I want to get her interested in sailing (and I want her to pay half).

Status
Not open for further replies.