Your first sailboat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
A lot of us up north have put our boats away for the winter. Now what to do till spring? Well if we can't be on our boats... let's talk about them. We had a lot of fun with our new H170 this year. We had our last sail of the season a few weeks ago. We've only been sailing since last year, but it seems longer. Yesterday I scouted out a lake I want to sail on next year. Anyway I got to thinking about how my $200 aution purchase got me started in sailing. I wondered how others got their start. Here's a picture of our first craft, a Precision 13. The first time I put it in the river I sailed five miles up river and back. I was hooked. JerryA

R

Rick S.

A Comet

Jerry, My first sailboat was a Comet class, cedar planked. Free along with a wooden mast, sans trailer, sails, sheets or tackle, or standing rigging. This boat also served as my introduction to dry rot. But cash, youth, enthusiasm and inexperience prevailed. I proudly launched my restored beauty into Sodus Bay in a stiff blow, with my equally inexperienced and unsuspecting father as crew, and we quickly learned how to sail rapidly downwind while pretending to be in control. We also learned that if one end of section of mast track pulls loose halfway up the mast, out of reach, that lowering the mainsail is no longer simple or easy. And that even if you manage to lower the mainsail, it is impossible to sail back to the dock, now half a mile directly upwind, under jib alone. And that sometimes, despite our general distain, there is no greater friend than a compassionate and understanding soul with a power boat and a tow line. Since then I haved sailed an O'Day Javelin, a Sunfish, and a Force 5 (similar to a Laser). I learned the most and had the most fun sailing solo on the Force 5, experimenting with various hull positions including 90 degrees and 180 degrees to the horizon. This was followed by a long dry spell accompanying marriage, home ownership and other adult responsibilities before a recent return to the water in a 170, accompanied by my inexperienced and unsuspecting wife as crew. At least I can get the mainsail down on this one.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Great story

Great story Rick. Who needs reality shows when we have our own stories like these to enjoy. JerryA

N

nick maggio

14 Hobie Cat

My first real sail boat was a 14 hobie cat and my first time out with it was with my so on long island sound and neither one of us new what we were doing but we had a blast even when we flipped it a few times. I was hooked after that day and moved up to a 18 hobie and had a lot of great years of sailing it with my whole family and my wife who really was not in love with the whole water thing not knowing how to swim. We now have a hunter 290 which my wife sails very well and loves it much better than the hobie. nick

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
A windsurfer!

First boat I sailed regularly was a Lightning out of Mamaroneck Harbor - took sailing classes there regularly enough that it became kinda like a sailing club. Loved that boat. Also J24s and Solings while learning. For many years, sailed just the windsurfer and my brother's Sunfish, interspersed with sailing on friends' "big boats". Past few years saw a 1970 Rebel 16, and now, my first brand new boat, the tons of fun Hunter 146. Am I the only sailor that actually traded DOWN in boat size?? Last sail a few weeks ago - on a 170 in Nov - in MI?? How brave! Were you wearing a wetsuit? My last sail was Oct 17 - a bit earlier than usual, but grudgingly had to pull it then. (I also dunked the 146 that day :( - have you turtled the 170 yet? Or as Rick calls it - experimenting with hull positions...let me guess - was the 180 with the 170? Welcome to sailing! Tereza

J

Jeff Wessel

A Sailfish

I am a sailing brat. I had the good fortune of having a Father who loved sailing and teaching me to sail. I bought my first boat when I was 13 years old having saved my lawn mowing and snow shoveling money for a year to get it. It was a Sailfish that I bought used for $200. For those of you unfamiliar, the Sailfish was a brother to the Sunfish when the name was owned by AMF in the early '70s. It was the same configuration except that there was no cockpit, only a deck with an abrasive surface and rails. Man I went through a few swim suits on that baby. I loved that boat and still have a picture of it on my wall at home. Since then I have had an O'Day Daysailor II and now my 170.

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
First boat ...........

Do I even dare to think of another boat ? The 170 is my first boat and I realy enjoy the boat and what it has brought into my life. My first sail boat ride was on Danny's Hartzell 170 at Long Beach.........I was happily hooked :) I did not have the space at my house to buy and keep a boat, I needed to sell a car. Mean while I took a sailing course at the Ventura Marina and learned to sail on a Cprie 14-2. That was a lot of fun, a few months later I bought my 170 :) Glenn

Oct 21, 2005
- - Durham NC
Cape Cod Catboat

I started by taking the sailing class at the Detroit Yacht Club in about 1956. The DYC had ten or twelve old Cape Cod catboats. About 22', broad beam with a combination keel and centerboard, a deep cockpit, tiller and vast cotton sail. The rig had been converted from gaff to marconi a few years earlier. They were built in the 20's and a Norweigian salt whose name I forget was in charge of and checking them in and maintenance (a never ending job with the aging wood hulls and many heavy old cotton sails). Many of the other clubs on the river also had fleets and there was a strong racing series. The cats were a challenge to sail in the typical light air and fast current of the Detroit River. When the wind did pipe up they would be fun trying to control. The weather helm was often brutal and jibing was quite an adventure. While far from nimble they handled well, could accomodate six, and were a delight in many ways. Also, sailing them back into the slips on the lagoon side of the DYC mini-island (off of Belle Isle city park) was at times exciting. The mass of the wooden hull gave it quite a lot momentum and after dropping the sail one had often to do a circle or two to slow down enough to execute a non-crash landing. Failure earned one a major dirty look and/or a colorful series of imprecations from the Norwegian. The sailing class organized by club members was very well done with a lengthy series of classes group sails with a skilled leader. After taking the class one moved on to crew and then skipper in the races. The cats were replaced by Flying Scots a few years later. One other memory of sailing on cats, Scots, Ravens, and various crusing boats in that era: when we finished our Stroh's or Goebel or Blatz or E&B or Bud or Schlitz beer in the steel can, the more environmentally sensitive would punch a hole in the bottom with a churchkey so it would tidily sink a minute or so after being pitched over the stern. Just one of many sins to be paid for down the road. Cheers, Jim

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Way to go Jim O

Jim O - Great story! '56 is a few years before I was born. A simpler time for certain. JerryA

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tereza - A sunny day

Tereza - It was a wonderfully sunny day the last time we had the 170 out. It was about 60 degrees with a nice steady breeze. Very predictable sailing. We haven't turtled the 170 yet (knock on wood). I think that would pretty much end my wife's enjoyment of sailing, so I'am very careful when we're out. It's now setting in my shop waiting for next year. JerryA

J

John

sailing in November

There were several days in Late October and the first half of November that tempted me. Alas, too much yard work and gettting houses ready for winter! With any luck we will soon sell our house with way too many maple trees and next year I will have less fall yard work to do. So if one of those 60 degree Satrudays in November pops up I will be ready. But what a difference a week or two and make! Last Wednedsay we got 5 inches of snow. I think my season is officially over. john

Status
Not open for further replies.