• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Your favorite weather website?

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
All joking aside, I spent 25 years of my life doing high altitude aerial photography. Weather ruled my life. Checking weather the first thing in the morning as soon as I opened my eyes to see if I could shoot that day or not. Living my life by busted forecast. I was on call 363 days a year. I was over it.
I used several websites and sources for weather and the one thing I came to learn was that mother nature is still as unpredictable as she always was in a lot of ways. Yes we have a better of what weather should or would typically do but at the end of a day it's still a toss up as to it actually doing it.

Sam

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
high altitude aerial photography
Weather rules boating too.;)

We consider safety first, then the pleasurable aspects.
This NOAA site for Marine weather safety is fast, easy, and the basis for the "fancy eye candy" apps.
It is called "Marine Point Forecasts"
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/point.htm

It is a Browser Based site that has no ads and no time delays for adding "cookies".

Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Phil added this SBO free Weather App from NOAA to the site, yesterday.
https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/wx/wx.php
It is quick, vanilla [Phil's word], and very localized, if you want. You can add your own City to the list!

I like it for discussing sailing weather among current SBO thread discussions.
You can peek at the sailing conditions and still stay on SBO, to increase SBO activity.
The more SBO activity, the more it grows on web searches.:biggrin:

Jim...

PS: This a good Latitude/Longitude pinpoint site https://www.latlong.net
PSS: This is our favorite Anchorage 30.238056,-89.084673
PSSS: Great Sailing weekend:dancing:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
For the NOAA combined page that is Browser oriented, but a version will soon be an APP.

NowCoast

It has Tides and Currents too.;)
It is pretty complex, but it is zoomable to local areas.

Lakes, Rivers, High Seas and more.

NOAA calls it the "Portal" to all their public information on weather.
Jim...

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
After NOAA forecasts, I use the SailFlow app for wind, and the NOAA Hi/Def Radar app for detailed, real-time weather conditions.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
David... Look at the Windy.com app for wind. I like it. It is pretty good near time. Forecast beyond 3 days begins to get sketchy. Use the ECMWF forecast model for better results.
Also take a look at the new NOAA app listed above.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
focused for Mariners.
Dang John, that is a well focused NowCoast link.:wow3:
It even links in the Raster Navigational Charts from NOAA if you zoom in.

You can even get the Map number, click and get the most recent PDF version to download.

No wonder NOAA calls it the PORTAL to all NOAA!!!

Jim...

PS: ECMWF = ECMF as noted before as perhaps the best tracking model. It is not available on the Public sites since it is a Paid Subscription Service. A few sites, like Windy, are paying them.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
If you change the NowCoast base map to satellite and take off the overlays, I can see my boat in its berth.:eek:
It needs to be sailing with me and the Admiral!!!
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Y'all come!!!
Saba.png

Pinned right through my Bimini.

Beer for all!!
Jim...

PS: Apple maps are more updated that G**g*e;)

wizoc

Apr 12, 2018
Catalina 425 Newp Rt
Predictwind has a number of differant models and the pro version has good weather routing and departure planning.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Did you try the top of this Forum new SBO weather link, set up by Phil.
I am impressed by the wind change direction, 5 day forecast, plus the wave height predictions and period forecast.

Try it!

Thanks @Phil Herring

Jim...

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Did you try the top of this Forum new SBO weather link, set up by Phil.
I am impressed by the wind change direction, 5 day forecast, plus the wave height predictions and period forecast.

Try it!

Thanks @Phil Herring

Jim...
It's great! But I don't like the wind for this weekend....

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@FDL S2 You know the beauty of this app, if you don’t like the wind where you are looking, you can check out some other places...

The app is almost like a time machine. Check out the app, break out some plastic, and fly to the time zone that gives you the wind you like.

Now that is cool.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I just looked at my winds this week end... :(
So don't Teleport here.:doh:

Jim...

PS: Wait... I do have Cold Beer... Refrig onboard fixed!!!
We had so little wind last weekend that I ended up rafted up with my brothers in the middle of the lake-two pontoon boats and a ski boat and we all went swimming and had cocktails So it wasn't bad, but sailing season is getting short in Wisconsin.