Your Eyes Are Tools Too.....

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
"RC I've adjusted this belt three times now and it is still slipping.":doh:

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
just trim off the rest of the v's tighten it up and it should stop slipping!, probably fail right at the mouth of the harbor, next to the rocks.

Feb 6, 1998
I really felt bad charging the guy but this was an "emergency" "I have to be off the marina dock by 4:00 PM, drop everything and run".... Oh and the spare belt he had was the wrong size, hello NAPA...........:doh:

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Check the engine bilge for the lost bits and apply a generous mitten full of super glue........
I've also heard that pantyhose can be used in a pinch.
I'd like to see a picture of pantyhose being used so if anybody "gets in a pinch" be sure to take a picture.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Check the engine bilge for the lost bits and apply a generous mitten full of super glue........ I've also heard that pantyhose can be used in a pinch. I'd like to see a picture of pantyhose being used so if anybody "gets in a pinch" be sure to take a picture.
No picture, but i actually did for the 4+ hours it took me to get to civilization. Need to stretch the heck out of it to get the tightness necessary to turn the water pump and alternator. I used a single overhand knot and timber hitched each end as i got it stretched tight in place.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I really felt bad charging the guy but this was an "emergency" "I have to be off the marina dock by 4:00 PM, drop everything and run".... Oh and the spare belt he had was the wrong size, hello NAPA...........:doh:

if you get a good parts man and i say parts man at napa you get what you want but nowadays they are hiring youngsters that have no clue how important it is to get the correct part the first time around ...it also help if the purchaser knows how and what to ask for mechanicing is a dieing art i have only 3 of these guy i will even talk to when i go in

Feb 6, 1998
if you get a good parts man and i say parts man at napa you get what you want but nowadays they are hiring youngsters that have no clue how important it is to get the correct part the first time around ...it also help if the purchaser knows how and what to ask for mechanicing is a dieing art i have only 3 of these guy i will even talk to when i go in
The good old days of good autoparts store counter guys are LOOOOOONG GONE.........

"I need this belt can you measure it with the belt length tool in the back room?"

(I even showed him how to measure it where there was still "V")

"What car is it off of? "

"It's not a car I just need that length belt. I know you have it I bought one two weeks ago it is a NAPA XL-3XXX belt I just don't know the length."

"What model vehicle it?"

"Is Bobby here?"

"Nope what car is it?"

"It is not for anything you have in your book, I just need this belt!"

"What car does is it off?"

Old timer counter guy Bobby walks up grabs belt, measures it and in 45 seconds returns with the exact belt I needed.....

Close the f'ing book and measure the damn belt already!!!;);)

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Old timer counter guy Bobby walks up grabs belt, measures it and in 45 seconds returns with the exact belt I needed.....

now that's what i am talking about.... we still have those kind down here..... just not at autozone,O'REilly's ,advanced... ect

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
now that's what i am talking about.... we still have those kind down here..... just not at autozone,O'REilly's ,advanced... ect
I would WALK past those places to get at a NAPA. Those other places, if you walk in and there's some twenty something year old at the counter, you can count on the fact that they have zero mechanic experience.

Short of maybe putting in a car stereo..

On the belt, just tighten it up more.

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
When I launched last year, I wanted to pick up a 12v socket that I could mount and wire up to run my charger for my phone, and whatnot. The local parts place (not a big name joint, if memory serves), I walk in, kid looked like a baby-faced MAYBE 20ish guy. So I tell him I need a 12 volt receptacle. Not the plug end, but the female that it plugs INTO, like a lighter socket. He tells me "yeah, you'll have to get that at the dealer."

Ugh. All because I didn't want to have to drive the 20 minutes to the Autozone across town that I knew would have it, and shame on me for thinking the local joint would even know what I meant.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Unlike the Bills in #8 & 9, my supply of pantyhose dwindled in the 90's when everyone changed to thongs. I do remember an adjustable belt for cars that would do in a pinch. I have a supply of belts for my boat so I haven't pursued the temporary kind. BTW the thongs chafe a little.

All U Get

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
make sure pulleys are aligned or you will only wear belts out by shredding as i did for a while until i figgered it out-- went thru about 4 belts between cedros island and mazatlan. not good, as it is only a couplafew hundred miles' travel.
and i keep nylon stockings, not pantyhose, in stock on boat..must be a girlee thing...lol

when i am asked what car is it from, i produce the belt and say custom diesel rod...
i am in mexico so nothing is unusual, and folks in autozone actually wait on ye to make sure ye get the things you need. i bring in my to be replaced items and it isnt difficult.
i need one a these beats i need a .... and being asked what kinda car..works in the unnamed reparaciones locations also

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
The good old days of good autoparts store counter guys are LOOOOOONG GONE.........

"I need this belt can you measure it with the belt length tool in the back room?"

(I even showed him how to measure it where there was still "V")

"What car is it off of? "

"It's not a car I just need that length belt. I know you have it I bought one two weeks ago it is a NAPA XL-3XXX belt I just don't know the length."

"What model vehicle it?"

"Is Bobby here?"

"Nope what car is it?"

"It is not for anything you have in your book, I just need this belt!"

"What car does is it off?"

"What vehicle is it?"
1968 Kaiser/Jeep M715.

"What Engine?"
1966 Chevy 292.
"I can't find that in my book..."

The military truck forum guys exchange NAPA part #s for things like the right brake shoes to buy to modify to fit our goof ball rigs.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yeah well, an unnamed (to protect the guilty) Yanmar parts distributor took my engine model (4JH3E), and came back with two belts for a 3JH4E. It wasn't until I threw them in my parts box back on the boat that I noticed they were different sizes than a used spare.

That little screw up could have turned into a major screw up had I discovered the belts wouldn't fit at O-dark thirty and miles from shore.

You have to check all work on your boat. Everything.