your experiences with boat police???

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
"All I know is what I read in the papers..." or what folks have told me.. but this sure feels like it has morphed into the rumored "WAR ROOM" thread.:kick::laugh::laugh::dancing:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I have had "bad" experiences with marine authority. Got ticketed for undersized mango snapper. I was out with my father-in-law, they were his catch, and I had no idea mango snapper were regulated. They weren't years ago when I was a kid. Oh well, the guy was not rude, just doing his job, in fact he looked more like he would rather not be the one who found a boat with undersized fish on board. He gave me, as captain of the boat, the ticket for $360.00 and my wife and I told Joe, my father-in-law, it was only for $36 dollars. We had to listen to him rant about Fish and Game up North often enough.
It was a random stop to check safety gear, all was fine.

As far as the 5th amendment. I believe when those rights and rules were written, the US was looking at surviving through a hostile time that saw collusion with the enemy and boats were a particular weak spot for spies, weapons, and soldiers to come onto US soil.
It isn't likely to change any time soon with the "war on drugs" and the "war on terror".
Heck, you can be randomly stopped in your car by border patrol and even the local police as long a it is supposedly a truly random stop as part of some initiative to stop DWI, illegal immigration, or a man hunt...

The real problem is for those who make a boat their home. Then 4th amendment issues really clash with maritime law.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Pensacola Beach, 1981. Young Coast Guard Petty officer, fiery green eyed redhead . I met her at a little bar near the beach. We had a wild 3 day weekend but she left with out a word.
The Coast Guard done me wrong.
I think it was the fiery green eyes that did you wrong. :snooty: They will get you every time, one way or another. :rolleyes:

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
"All I know is what I read in the papers..." or what folks have told me.. but this sure feels like it has morphed into the rumored "WAR ROOM" thread.:kick::laugh::laugh::dancing:
Agreed, this thread has gotten carried way to far from the OP. I thought this was a sailing forum, not a constitutional interpertation forum. When I was a power boater I was warned about sail boaters turning a simple thing into a clusterf#%k. I am beginning to think they were right.:banghead:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think discussing the rights and actions of various law enforcement agency with regard to stop and search of vessels on the water is very much within the purpose of a sailboat owner's forum. Moving the discussion outside of that, to touch on car stops or house searches, pushed the boundaries. However, sometimes comparisons are appropriate.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Pensacola Beach, 1981. Young Coast Guard Petty officer, fiery green eyed redhead . I met her at a little bar near the beach. We had a wild 3 day weekend but she left with out a word. The Coast Guard done me wrong.
I'm sure Jimmy Buffett can make a nice song out of that. :) Say, "She left my life on the same boat she came in on"?

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Do you have a source for that? I'd like to read more about it. All I can find says the CG had no operational ships in range. They did deploy aircraft later in the night, and two ships from further away that arrived some time later. Also I see that three other freighters agreed to search, but no local fish tugs were referenced in anything I found.
Perhaps Fred, my dockmate can enlighten you. https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Wreck_of_the_Edmund_Fitzgerald.html?id=1pfhAAAAMAAJ&hl=en

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I just came across a Google book called "Gentely with the Tides: the Best of Living Aboard" by Michael L. Frankly.
Starting on page 49, he tells about meeting my father two slips down in a marina in NC. My father was on his J37 and on the way to enter the CSTAR in England. At the end of his tale, page 52, Frankle relays a story my father told him about his experiences with the USCG.
He tells the story well so I won't bore you with my writing style, but understand, my father isn't particularly fond of authority in any form.
https://books.google.com/books?id=u...sQAQ#v=onepage&q=sailing bill gilmore&f=false

- Will (Dragonfly)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Pensacola Beach, 1981. Young Coast Guard Petty officer, fiery green eyed redhead . I met her at a little bar near the beach. We had a wild 3 day weekend but she left with out a word.
The Coast Guard done me wrong.
I had a similar experience with that same gorgeous redhead...
Sitting alone in a nice restaurant one night, I realized I was facing the very same red headed Petty Officer. Just as we made eye contact she sneezed. Not a cute little lady-like sneeze but a real head-clearer. With that, her glass eye shot across the tables and without even thinking I was able to catch it as it went whizzing by. That was the ice-breaker we needed. She got up, came to my table, sat down and invited me back to her place. One thing led to another and we made love all night. She fixed me an amazing breakfast before sending me on my way the next morning. During our final embrace I couldn’t help but ask what it was that made her want me the way she did. She replied, “Oh, you just happened to catch my eye!”

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I knew that petty officer too. Neither Larry nor Kermit mentioned her wooden leg nor her prosthetic arm.
My wife use to work at the VA many years ago when she was a student nurse. I came to the hospital to meet Linda for lunch and met this fiery green eyed red head my wife was caring for. She really was gorgeous but was having her eye treated. I could only see the one good eye.
Linda introduced me and I noticed she had a prosthetic arm with one of those grabbing hooks that opens and closes. She's was sitting up in the bed, holding a coffee cup. Then, I noticed her wooden leg peeking out from under the sheet.
She caught me starting at it and master-a-factly went on to tell me, "I lost my leg in a shore action against a group of terrorist weapons smugglers on the East coast of Africa."
I glanced meaningfully at her arm and she put down her mug and snapped the hook open and closed a couple of times before telling me, "I got shot in the arm during a sea battle with some pirates trying to attack a freighter in the Indian ocean. They have me this nifty hook as a momento."
She picked up her mug and took a sip to show me it how it worked and shrugged, as if to say, "it's nothing."
After an uncomfortable pause, I finally asked, "and how did you lose your eye? "
She grimaced in real pain and said, "That happened just south of Japan. A seagull sh!t in my eye when I looked up. "
I stared in disbelief, "you lost your eye from that?"
Again she shrugged like it was no matter, "it was my first day with the hook. ":yikes:

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Will
Liked your story of your Dad. Sounds like he was quite a character.

Will and Kermit. You should hang our head in shame with those stories about red heads who are challenged.

Now if they were blonds... that might be Believable

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You should hang our head in shame with those stories about red heads who are challenged.
I never said she was challenged. Sheeesh!
I only said she was gorgeous. Just, never ever ever ever tell my wife I thought that. Ok? :eek:

- Will (Dragonfly)