Your experience with propane outboards?

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
Hunter 26 1001 Rocky Fork
Considering a propane outboard and looking for thoughts specifically from people that have owned/used one.

Links are always appreciated.

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
I love mine. Though last Sunday it refused to start. I have had it for two years and nothing would convince it to fire up even after 40 pulls. We headed home only to experience a strong pop up thunderstorm. Monday I went to the lake with a new spark plug. I pulled the starter rope before I did anything else and it started on the second try! It must have been providence that kept us from going out the day before. The outboard saved our lives.
We have had our Mercury Sail Pro for two years. The only issue I have noticed is that after the first year it took more pulls to start. But it always started. I have heard three explanations on causes including remedies. I have tried none of them.
1. Tap the pressure regulator a few times. 2. Replace the spark plug. 3. Turn the propane tank upside down to introduce liquid propane into the engine. The theory is that the liquid propane is an excellent solvent. I have not been able to find a shop manual. I may have to order one from Tohatsu as they are the manufacturer.
I also found recommendations online recommending adding a filter to the propane line. They are common on forklift trucks.IMG_20211108_145841896_HDR.jpgMercury on Transom.jpg

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I love the concept but I do not love the cheapness of my Lehr. My next OB will also be propane but not a cheap Lehr. Get one that can run on a 1lb bottle or a larger tank with a hose.

Jun 12, 2021
Whatever I did last week (the only think I remember is that I disconnected the line from the outboard and then reconnected it) seems to have worked. I have been back there twice and the motor started with only two or three pulls just like when it was new.

Dec 28, 2015
Vapor lock ?
I don’t think you could have a actual vapor lock with a pressurized gas. …..I had a no start issue with my propane outboard last week. First time in the 5 years I have owned it. I use a remote tank and hose. I found that he OPD valve on the tank was not allowing gas to flow due to the safety valve in the outlet. OPD valves require a coupling to be fully seated in the outlet to allow gas to flow. Mine was stuck. Once unstuck it fired right up.

Jun 12, 2021
I don’t think you could have a actual vapor lock with a pressurized gas. …..I had a no start issue with my propane outboard last week. First time in the 5 years I have owned it. I use a remote tank and hose. I found that he OPD valve on the tank was not allowing gas to flow due to the safety valve in the outlet. OPD valves require a coupling to be fully seated in the outlet to allow gas to flow. Mine was stuck. Once unstuck it fired right up.
I have two 11 lb tanks in the fuel compartment under the tiller. I have a hose I move between them when a tank runs empty. It this valve something that you gently tapped with a hammer or simply disconnected tan reconnected the hose?

Dec 28, 2015
I have two 11 lb tanks in the fuel compartment under the tiller. I have a hose I move between them when a tank runs empty. It this valve something that you gently tapped with a hammer or simply disconnected tan reconnected the hose?
No, it’s internal to the valve that’s on the tank. It keep propane from flowing when you turn the valve on without a fixture attached to the outlet like with the old valves.

Dec 28, 2015
Disconnect the hose from the motor. There should be a valve that looks like a tire stem valve in it that you can depress with something small. Turn the valve to the tank on with the hose connected and depress the valve mentioned and see if gas comes out.

Jun 12, 2021
I had a starting issue last week and I disconnected the propane line from the outboard. I pulled it thru twice and then reconnected the line. It started on the second pull. While it was running, I closed the valve on the tank and the engine died about 20 seconds later. I left the line connected but unpressurized. I will try it this week end to see if that makes a difference.

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
I like my Tohatsu Sail Pro 5hp Propane. We originally used it with the 2-lb Coleman Gemini Power Pack but it did give us some range anxiety. I then bought a 5lb bottle and it works well. I am envious of the large gas/propane locker on the 240. My 23.5 just has the small cockpit locker where the 5lb bottle just fits horizontally. There is no worry about running the bottle horizontally because the tohatsu has a built-in vaporizer and actually loves liquid propane. I absolutely do not miss the smell of gasoline and dealing with carburetors.
-Z

Jun 12, 2021
The empirical evidence suggests that when starting cold, after several days, pulling the motor through twice and then waiting ten or twelve seconds between successive attempts, results in the quickest start. It is almost as if the motor is just waking up and needs to remember what it is expected to do.

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
@SkookumZac
Can you use the 5lb propane tank horizontally???
generally you can’t, unless it’s specifically designed to.

I tried the 1lb cans and turned a couple of them into ice balls. I went with an 11 lb can that just sits on the cockpit floor (which I kinda hate).

I’ve thought about the “propane growler.” I saw someone who mounted theirs to the stern rail. Not too elegant, but might work.

Good news is I can use that fuel locker for other things I guess.

Jun 12, 2021
@SkookumZac
Can you use the 5lb propane tank horizontally???
generally you can’t, unless it’s specifically designed to.

I tried the 1lb cans and turned a couple of them into ice balls. I went with an 11 lb can that just sits on the cockpit floor (which I kinda hate).

I’ve thought about the “propane growler.” I saw someone who mounted theirs to the stern rail. Not too elegant, but might work.

Good news is I can use that fuel locker for other things I guess.
I was lucky on my H240. My fuel locker holds two 11 lb tanks. I use about 1 tank a year.

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
That's because a standard tank will dispense liquid propane if tilted sideways or upside down. That's bad if you're using a stove or a heater. But the tohatsu has a built-in vaporizer before the carburetor. It runs fine on liquid propane.

I'm using the Flame King 5lb-er with the little gauge on it. It also says do not use horizontally.

-Z