You know the Marina Owner is...

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I'd say it's not a lawyer, but someone who lives in a place WITH lawyers.

When I was in St. Augustine I swear that every billboard along the road was for a law firm. And I thought that alligators were the predators there. "Stub your toe ? Can't take responsibility for your actions ? Call Dewey Scrooem and Howe"

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Can't take responsibility for your actions ? Call Dewey Scrooem and Howe"
Once worked for a public agency. We got sued often. Received an interrogatory requiring my response presumably from a law firm named, "Moore and Moore and Moore." I chuckled and tossed the document into the circular file. Turned out that was a real law firm with a real interrogatory.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Lawyer reputations aside, the owner is a responsible and friendly marina owner. The docks have been underwater for about a month and had become slimy and in places the ground (under the caution tape) had eroded. When I mentioned this to his wife, she was quite good natured about the signs. I might have just put up signs noting the dock is slippery when wet.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Every once in a while, the docks at the South end of Cayuga are slightly under water when the marina opens for the season. Kinda weird to tie up. I know you are up on Ontario, where flooding issues have been delaying dock building and mooring placement. Were you able to start the season at a reasonable time? Seneca does not seem to get the same problems. I guess it is because we are separated from Cayuga and the canal by some locks, or a lock.

Jan 11, 2014
Every once in a while, the docks at the South end of Cayuga are slightly under water when the marina opens for the season. Kinda weird to tie up. I know you are up on Ontario, where flooding issues have been delaying dock building and mooring placement. Were you able to start the season at a reasonable time? Seneca does not seem to get the same problems. I guess it is because we are separated from Cayuga and the canal by some locks, or a lock.
The marina opened more or less as expected. The floating docks aren't an issue, just the one fixed dock which we are on. The bigger issue was mud. The yard is flooded and moving boats with the travel lift is just special. Lots of 2x10s and crossed fingers. This was the second year out of three that Lake Ontario has been at flood stage, it set a new record this year. We learned a lot from the 2017 flood, so it wasn't as bad in the marina. Still we were all wearing our fashionable muck boots from Tractor Supply.

85% of the water on Lake Ontario comes through the Niagara River, so all the rain in the midwest and the high water levels on Erie, Michigan, and Huron flows unimpeded downstream to us. The upper lakes are all higher than usual, so the water isn't going down very fast. Increasing the flow at the Moses Saunders Dam on the St Lawrence will adversely affect shipping and may flood Montreal. So we're stuck in the middle with water 3 feet above average at this time of year.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I heard last week the NOAA has predicted high water this year is estimated to increase by another 2' by the end of July, we are at the bottom of Lake Huron in the Black River where the water is inches from coming over the existing break walls, could get very interesting if this prediction comes to light. We are already beyond recorded high water level set in the early 80's.

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
If you were to ask any boater from another part of the country (Not Lake Ontario) and ask them what constitute a safe dock I guarantee these docks would fail. They are covered with slippery mud and algae. I can't wait for the lake level to go down enough so I can get the club power washer out to clean the docks (and put away my boots).

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Could you not Rew some planks down to the top of the existing dock structure to get up andoutofthe water

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I heard last week the NOAA has predicted high water this year is estimated to increase by another 2' by the end of July.
DayDreamer, I think you mis typed or mis quoted. Michigan/Huron water levels are expected to rise another 2 inches not 2 feet. Its already bad enough...

Jan 11, 2014
Could you not Rew some planks down to the top of the existing dock structure to get up andoutofthe water
This winter the marina plans on adding another layer of decking, raising the dock by about 8 inches. The dock is is structurally in good shape. It was rebuilt in late 2017 after the flood waters receded.

The docks are slippery and caution is needed. That's why the indoor/outdoor carpet was this week, it provides some traction. What struck me was the lawyer speak, instead of simply saying "Caution, slippery when wet."

And all you upper Great Lakes folks, if you could just keep your water to yourselves, please. No need to share it with us. :)

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
My bad you are correct @DougM ,
Water levels remain high across the Great Lakes. The forecast for July 5th indicates an increase from last month of 1 inch on Lake Superior, 4 inches on both Lakes Michigan-Huron and St. Clair, and 2 inches on Lake Erie. Lake Ontario is expected to be 1 inch below its level a month ago. The forecasted level for July 5th either meets or exceeds the record high July monthly mean for all of the Great Lakes. Lakes Superior and Michigan-Huron are projected to see a net increase of 3 and 2 inches respectively by August 5th while Lake St. Clair is expected to have no net change in water level during the same period. Lakes Erie and Ontario are expected to decline 2 and 10 inches respectively over the next month.

Last edited:

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I don't recall exactly where it is located but somewhere between Morgan City and New Orleans on the Gulf Intercoastal Waterway is a billboard. Advertising for a Louisiana lawyer who specializes in injuries to tug crews. It is the only billboard I can recall on the GIWW between Port Aransas, TX and Orange Beach, AL.

Jan 11, 2014
Had plenty of depth before the flood, so no increase on that account. :biggrin:

There was a very modest increase this year, however, the rate hadn't increased in several years and there were a number of improvements to the marina, rebuilt docks, dredged out an area that had silted in, improved wifi, new more reliable mast crane are the big ones. Worth the extra $100 a year.