You Can't Live on a Boat Anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeet

Feb 26, 2013
Macgregor 26X Slidell
Yes, and I think the title of the thread has held up to all the discussion. I think I am going to have to rent the smallest and cheapest room or apartment I can find.

That's the only conclusion I have come to as well.... :/ Still thinking on it, but I HAD TO LAUGH at the look on the lady's face at DMV when I gave her my marina address:)

I dunno.... But I AM looking at cheap apts/mailing addresses...

*sigh*

Skeet

Apr 13, 2009
Irwin 33 St Pete, FL
Zeehag, You were right once. But as I found out, the laws have changed. Many of the freedoms we had as late as the 90's have been taken away. I was OK with not voting as it was more or less voting for the lesser evil. But the drivers license and boat documentation/registration etc became a huge issue. I was actually prevented from renting and told my license was suspended. It proved to be due to not updating my address. Go figure! I am still baffled as to HOW they knew. But I had used it with no problem in many other countries. If you are still somewhat living below the radar then more power to you. For those of us who still live and work in US it is no longer so easy. I will most likely eventually leave US with my boat but I believe this is not really an option or desire for Roger, or in fact most people here. Until then we have to comply in a creative way.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
Zeehag, You were right once. But as I found out, the laws have changed. Many of the freedoms we had as late as the 90's have been taken away. I was OK with not voting as it was more or less voting for the lesser evil. But the drivers license and boat documentation/registration etc became a huge issue. I was actually prevented from renting and told my license was suspended. It proved to be due to not updating my address. Go figure! I am still baffled as to HOW they knew. But I had used it with no problem in many other countries. If you are still somewhat living below the radar then more power to you. For those of us who still live and work in US it is no longer so easy. I will most likely eventually leave US with my boat but I believe this is not really an option or desire for Roger, or in fact most people here. Until then we have to comply in a creative way.

sorry, i am CURRENT, compete with drivers license and the whole schlemiel.... there are ways around the obvious--you must learn to think outside the box in order to live successfully on board.
is kinda a why gods made family and friends and special places that do these services for us......rodlmao, but then, yer gonna die and yer gonna....
just find the best solution--i had cars and everything until 2 yrs ago when i left good old usa complete with my cali drivers license, good until 2015.....
things do change, and have changed since 1990, but that doesnt mean one need live in an apartment or rent a very pricey slip just for an address.

the operative words are THINK and CREATIVITY. bureaucracy has loopholes built into everything. use em.

Mar 8, 2009
Catalina 22 Kemah,Texas
So how do you leave this country and get permission to work in others.
I thought you had to get a work visa and it was extremely difficult to do so.

Is it legal to accept donations to maintain a cruising kitty?

Nov 29, 2012
Pearson 303 Pungo Creek, NC
cheap slip my help you

You have your answer, you need to move your residency to a more welcoming state. Im sure you could register your boat in any other state and continue to anchor in Maine.

I rent a couple of boat slips on a canal off the ICW near Belhaven, NC. They are only used part time in this economy, and the price has dropped to $60/month. I've also got some local boating friends who have unused waterfront property in Southport, ME, who offered to let me store m boat there for the winter. Would either of these options help?

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
So how do you leave this country and get permission to work in others.
I thought you had to get a work visa and it was extremely difficult to do so.

Is it legal to accept donations to maintain a cruising kitty?

so , as you know, i am disabled and no longer work. so who needs a work visa.
i am allowed to reside wherever i am able to receive usps delivered mal. i receive that as a transient in marinas in where ever i am ville.
i do not accept donations, my mother sends me money on rare occasions, and is cheaper to send thru paypal than other alternative high priced methods.
i worked very very hard for the small amount of money i bring in now--i paid taxes for ever--since i was 16 yrs of age, and i troubleshot traumatic injuries and critical illnesses in human beings for over 30 years to earn my disability.
yes i live within the fine print of my ssdi paperworks.

what do you do.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Would either of these options help?
Thanks for thinking of me. If I'm going to give up my Maine residency, get a new driver's license, etc.; pinning myself to the NY land I actually own would make most sense.

The Southport thing might be interesting but friend of a friend is getting to be a pretty long chain. It would have to be a place with a house. I think I have some options that will work. I'll PM you if I want to look into it further.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Roger,
Love reading your posts. Especially love the pictures! Thank you.
This whole thread had me thinking. My dad lived aboard his boat for 5-6 years. He used my address as his legal address. I got his mail and forwarded it. I remembered you having a son on one of your winter adventures. Couldn't you legally use his address? Sorry if this sounds a little off.

Nov 22, 2008
I remembered you having a son on one of your winter adventures. Couldn't you legally use his address?
He will be moving to Russia for a time in the fall since he just graduated with a major in Russian studies so I think there would be come complications with that:) The other son will still be in college and I don't think his mother's address is an option either.

Jul 25, 2007
-Irwin -Citation 40 Wilmington, NC
I first lived on a boat in 1974 and I can tell you nothing has changed. The whole issue with residency was a pain back then and it is no worse now. You just have to get a bit creative and not make a big deal out if it. If you want the lifestyle you make it work. I live aboard now and face the same issues I did as a teenager, in fact I think it is a bit more excepted now by officials then it was back then, but back then I was a hippy now I am an adult lol

Mar 8, 2009
Catalina 22 Kemah,Texas
So as not to derail this thread, I will repost on the cruisers forum.
I have the same name over there.

Nov 22, 2008
I've managed to find a small apartment that is being held for someone's eventual retirement. Since I won't be there, I won't object to or be in the way of renovation work and occasional use by the owner. That flexibility gets me a lease at a price I can afford. The lease makes it a legal foundation address for the mail which will get handled by UPS and make it a legal presence for drivers license, etc. It would be legal for me to rent my home and go traveling for a year or more without having to give up my Maine drivers license so I can't see any way that this doesn't cover the bases as long as I don't establish residency in another state and use it for some fraudulent purpose. I'm also getting the option to return to it and pay market rent if I need to come ashore for a while.

I think I will still make it a yearly ritual in the fall to visit the vessel documentation center and renew my document in person. No chance of it getting lost in the mail and a good excuse to visit Jimm.

As people have said above, there is always a way.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
The comment was made that dmv found his whereabouts anyway.
Years ago, I was underground, I mean BIG time gopher-holed. No one knew where I was. As was the SOP at the time, I had mail, addy's, vehicles, etc, spread out far and thin. But not one single thing, not a phone, nothing, had me tied there. Except the power bill. There was no way whatsoever to turn on the power, WITH a S.S.N. no doubt, and have the bill sent to that physical address. Never thought it much, it's a power bill.
Skip forward a lot of time, and I was trying to re-establish an identity. Tough business when you're crawling out of THAT hole. But after the nightmares that you can imagine were concluding, I'm sitting at the dmv, the great gestapo. So this guy is giving me addresses that I had not lived at in 40 years. And I say yes, or no at times, because some of the addresses I did NOT live at, and he never slowed down. This went on for awhile, as my life has been somewhat convoluted is a simple way of putting it, but he finally asked about THE address. I just about vapor locked. I know I turned white. And I said no. It was very evident that that was the wrong answer. He asked a couple more times if I was sure, and sticking with the lie, I was adamant. He let it go, but he had me, and he knew it.
There's no other way, except that power bill. They're all plugged in I guess brother.
And sometimes, the truth is stranger than fiction..

Aug 4, 2009
Oday 25 Olympia
Re: You can live aboard legally

Couldn't you just rent a room in a private home and without board, as the cheapest option?

Jun 29, 2013
Beneteau 423 Kemah, TX
I’d decided I was ready to go all in on living aboard but I don’t see any way at this point to do it. The boat’s document can only go to a physical street address so I talked to the local UPS Store two or three times and they said, “No problem, we have several boat people using our service.”

I went to sign up and read through the fine print on the documents they gave me to sign. It said that they were mail agents only and claiming the address as a residence or place of business constituted fraud as a federal crime. Those other boat people happily using their service are either leaving behind houses that they rent or leave empty or are more comfortable flirting with fraud punishable by jail time than I am.

I then called the motor vehicle department and said I would be traveling for a couple of years, didn’t plan to maintain an apartment while I was gone, and would rent another place when I returned. How could I maintain my residency? They were very clear, no way. Unless I have a legally binding document such as a deed, lease, or utility bill tying me to a specific physical address that is legal for occupancy, my driver’s license and car registration become void. No wiggle room. She went out of her way to say, “Staying with a friend doesn’t count.” Neither does paying thousands of dollars a year to the state in income taxes, local excise taxes on the boat, and being a registered voter.

I can sell the car; I’d planned to do that anyway. However, I can’t manage without a driver’s license. Enterprise car rental is my cruising lifeline since stores are far from the waterfront in most towns and there are always other errands to run. I also like to get away from the boat from time to time. Life without being able to legally drive is just not something I prepared to take on, even for cruising.

Fortunately, I haven’t given up my old address yet so I have some time to figure this out although I haven’t a clue yet what to do. The only option I can see at this point is to rent a very small apartment and just store my stuff in it. However, my cruising budget is slim enough that I then wouldn’t be able to afford to keep cruising so the whole question would then become moot.

Post 911 and in the third decade of the war on drugs (and just about everything else) society simply doesn’t have a place for people who aren’t willing to be pinned to the board like a bug; at least without being a lot more marginal than I’m willing to be.

It’s ironic that this all came up on the same day that I got much more positive news about continuing cruising. The report on my hip/spine joint X-ray came back and there is no sign of arthritis. That is very strange because my doctor (three doctors ago) saw it 15 years ago and all the problems have been in exactly the spot she identified. It’s good news because it means that there is nothing visibly degenerative going on as she predicted. Why the joint gets inflamed from time to time is now a mystery. The old X-ray was unfortunately lost during the three records transfers. I’ll find out more when I see the back doctor in August if I haven’t moved to a civilized country where paying taxes will let me drive a car by then.
Roger,
I am from Texas and use an RVers permanent residence/mail service called Escapees (escapees.com) I pay an annual member ship fee and have my drivers license and voter registration from their address. It's what they do for mobile people. They also provide a mailing address for you and forward your mail wherever you want, when ever you want to receive it. I have them mail it to my current marina once a week but could go online and change those instructions to suite me.
Patricia

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Roger,
I am from Texas and use an RVers permanent residence/mail service called Escapees (escapees.com) I pay an annual member ship fee and have my drivers license and voter registration from their address. It's what they do for mobile people. They also provide a mailing address for you and forward your mail wherever you want, when ever you want to receive it. I have them mail it to my current marina once a week but could go online and change those instructions to suite me.
Patricia
so if i live on a boat i can join this organization and be a full member with benefits as described in the web site..

regards

woody

Nov 22, 2008
I pay an annual member ship fee and have my drivers license and voter registration from their address.
Their site says:

"The Escapees Mail Forwarding Service is a licensed commercial mail-receiving agent."

That means that it is exactly what the UPS Store is. Those papers they gave you and said "sign here" which you probably didn't read (who does?) would have been the same ones from the US Postal Service that say there must be a physical address that Escapees is being the agent for.

I'm not surprised that you are able to use the address for your driver's license, etc. That's just because nobody is paying attention in your state. Maine is small enough that the DMV knows damn well where 50 Market Street is and that nobody lives there.

I like to follow the rules, not because I'm a goody two shoes but because I don't want to be interrupted in the middle of a cruise by a letter saying my drivers license has been suspended and have to drop everything to deal with it. Postal fraud is also serious Federal bad news. It isn't likely to be pursued unless you are maintaining multiple residences for the purpose of avoiding taxes, getting state benefits that you are not entitled to, or ripping other people off. However, we live in a society where proving yourself right because someone needs to make a quota or is just compulsive can cost as much time and money as if you had committed a real crime. The best way to remain free in what is rapidly becoming a police state is to give them as little room to get a hook into you as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.