You Asked For It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
And, I delivered. Here is a picture of the turbulent and infamous Hell Gate.

Which I passed through today.

I'm now anchored in a very protected anchorage less than a mile from the Statue of Liberty (I can see here head and arm). Who would have thought such a place existed in this city? Who would have known without the Internet.

http://fms.ws/9v2F9

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
Next Up
Hell Gate
(statute mile 602), one of the perennial trouble spots in the Georgia Waterway.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Roger,
The history channel had a show about the design flaws in the Titanic today with your happy face plastered all over the magic screen. Part of the discussion was around expansion joints and your thoughts on how they may not have been designed correctly. When you designed the Titanic what were you thinking? :>)

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
And, I delivered. Here is a picture of the turbulent and infamous Hell Gate.

Which I passed through today.

I'm now anchored in a very protected anchorage less than a mile from the Statue of Liberty (I can see here head and arm). Who would have thought such a place existed in this city? Who would have known without the Internet.

http://fms.ws/9v2F9
The picture below shows Hells Gate turblence ...

Ed K

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Thanks, Roger.

"You asked for it," and

I GOT IT.

Thanks,

Fair winds,

Stu

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Hi Roger,

I'm curious if you were able to step ashore at at Port Washington, my home port!

I'd have waved from my dock at the marina, but you probably wouldn't be able to see me behind that massive yacht with the helicopter docked on the top deck.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I'm curious if you were able to step ashore at at Port Washington, my home port!
Yes. Great place. I won't argue with the cruising guide calling it the most boater friendly town in LIS. I rowed up to the dock across from the Stop and Shop yesterday and filled a cart with food which I wheeled down to the dock loaded the dinghy, and then took the cart back.

I met a couple on the dock getting into their dinghy. They asked how far south I was going and I said, "I'm just going to hover along the edge of the weather I like."

They said, "Oh, you're Strider!" I used that line in one of my posts.

I went back today to try and buy a couple more mugs at the Home (something). Silly store. Nothing but narrow bottomed fancy coffee cups with delicate handles that wouldn't last 5 minutes on a boat. I bought some more water and then decided to boogie so as to avoid doing the East River run in the early morning.

I didn't get to the rest of the town but, with 48 hour free moorings, I plan to spent some time there on the return north.

Oct 9, 2008
Marine Trader Sedan Mystic, CT
Shoaldrafter, That is more like the Hell Gate we passed through a few weeks ago.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
Cool pic and a fun sail in NYC. Just remember don't (e.g. do not) try sailing around the statue of liberty. It looks so tempting but you could walk from shore to the statue - it's that shallow. Thanks for sharing.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Hells gate versus Albemarle Sound

Shoaldrafter, That is more like the Hell Gate we passed through a few weeks ago.
Actually Hells Gate was just fast.
Hit 11.8 knots in a boat designed
for just 7.

The real challenge Roger has yet to face is
Albemarle Sound. I was on a schedule and
had to keep moving. I wound up half way
across when tide and wind changed. I had
a rain storm pushing wind directly at me down
the Alligator River entrance.

I made good over ground about 1 1/2 mph
for miles.

I would expect that Roger would drop anchor
before such conditions on the north side. When
I started the current was with me, then the
storm hit about half way across. Ugh, what
a slug. But on the river, I found the buoys.

There is a marina within a storm bulwarks just
before the draw bridge. It is difficult to find in
a storm. There is big lighted billboard to the
left of marina that draws you to the left of the
entrance in the dark and limited visibility of a
storm.

I hope he takes the Dismal Canal route this
time. I have only seen the canal from the
road.

But, Roger does his own thing. Maybe he
does not like alligators?

Ed K
addendum:
"The quality of a man's life is in direct proportion
to his commitment to excellence, regardless of
his chosen field of endeavor." by Vince Lombardi

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Turbulance in Hells Gate? Did not notice any at the 11+ knots we were doing. Free moorage at Port J? We must have paid for the use of the showers at the club. Great town but stay away from the ferry dock. Don't know Stryder's draft but if it is less than 4 1/2 ft you may take the intra-coastal passage from Manasquan to Atlantic City. Stay on the magneta line of your chartplotter and keep moderate speed and you will be treated to scenery and a calm passage. We did it in an h34 with 4'4" draft. There are a couple of bridges and some currents in places but nothing to worry about. We were told the strech from Atlantic City to Cape May was also doable but cannot vouch for that.

Jul 16, 2012
ericson 35-3 Shadyside, MD
Hell(s) Gate

the name of the narrow place in the east river in new york is 'Hell Gate"

some brief history:

The name "Hell Gate" is a corruption of the Dutch phrase Hellegat, which could mean either "hell's hole" or "bright gate/passage", which was originally applied to the entirety of the East River. The strait was described in the journals of Dutch explorer Adriaen Block, who is the first European known to have navigated the strait, during his 1614 voyage aboard the Onrust. Hellegat is a fairly common toponym for waterways in the Low Countries, with at least 20 independent examples.[2] Because explorers found navigation hazardous in this New World place of rocks and converging tide-driven currents (from the Long Island Sound, Harlem River strait, Upper Bay of New York Harbor and lesser channels, some of which have been filled), the Anglicization stuck.[3]

Hells Gate is in British Columbia.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
j s naulty

the name of the narrow place in the east river in new york is 'Hell Gate"

some brief history:

The name "Hell Gate" is a corruption of the Dutch phrase Hellegat, which could mean either "hell's hole" or "bright gate/passage", which was originally applied to the entirety of the East River. The strait was described in the journals of Dutch explorer Adriaen Block, who is the first European known to have navigated the strait, during his 1614 voyage aboard the Onrust. Hellegat is a fairly common toponym for waterways in the Low Countries, with at least 20 independent examples.[2] Because explorers found navigation hazardous in this New World place of rocks and converging tide-driven currents (from the Long Island Sound, Harlem River strait, Upper Bay of New York Harbor and lesser channels, some of which have been filled), the Anglicization stuck.[3]

Hells Gate is in British Columbia.
J S,

You may be very correct in your history but
native New Yorkers of today call it 'Hell's Gate'.

I am sorry but I have heard it referred to
among ordinary sailors not by the elitist version.

While many sailboats in the past belong to the
Buckley crowd, us of lowly origin are the sailors
going thru today... Bill is gone...

So will you submit the changes to the dictionary folks?

Understand that I do appreciate your positive comment.

fair zephyrs,

Ed K

Want to fight crime?.... Shoot back!

Feb 15, 2010
Lancer 30' 1985 great neck, n.y.
Point of information...
I grew up on/near the shores of the East River, I
still live on and sail in western Long Island Sound...2 miles from the Throgs Neck Bridge where the East River and the sound converge.
Have spent time equally in and around the high end yacht clubs and on the public town docks and moorings. Knowledgeable local sailors of
all backgrounds will always refer to the gate as "hell gate"...there are
others who refer to it as "hells gate".
But that's Ok, as George Washington (somewhat of an elite in his time) referred to the Throgs neck as "Frogs Neck".

Am still in awe of Lady Liberty, even after sailing past for many years...even though she has french ancestry.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Well, Roger and likely crew left Atlantic Highlands this afternoon. There spot shows them heading down the "Joisey" coast. Conditions seem fairly benign and I'll bet that they are motor sailing a lot on a fairly calm ocean (I checked the NOAA buoys for wave height). Some W and NW winds are expected which is about as good as it gets for the long haul down the New Jersey coast to Cape May.
I did that leg in reverse back in June and all I can say is that it seems to take forever, even if the conditions we had were favorable.
Some fog warnings are out for the coast but I wish our intrepid traveler(s) well.
With any luck they should be near Cape May come day break.

Status
Not open for further replies.