Yo, Franklin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Orcas Island, WA
If memory serves me correctly, you are planning to take your h37.6, Dreamboat, on some short-handed, long distance cruising including some ocean passages. I'd be interested to know what modifications you've made (or are planning to make) to prepare your boat for the trip--sail selections, reefing systems, autopilot selection, wind vane, SSB, watermaker, tankage considerations, battery charging systems, and the like. Thanks. Gary Wyngarden S/V Wanderlust h37.5

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
H376 Dreamboat

mods schedule to make so far are (off the top of my head): 1) replace all hatches with stronger ones 2) add below deck auto-pilot (looking at S1G rotory drive by raymarine) 3) replace sails and by storm sails and get A-spin 4) replace standing rigging with oversized cable and best connectors 5) add in rule 8000 (was supposed to already do this but...well...should have it done soon). 6) add true global satelitte internet (company still working on this) 7) EPERB 8) liferaft 9) 300 watts of solar 10) wind generator (maybe...I do have a 3.5 kw diesel gen) 11) maybe watermaker 12) maybe SSB (depending on how reliable I think the internet is) 13) high water alarm (got it...just need to put it in) 14) bolt down floorboards and find a way to secure everything in the cabin 15) Not sure about the skylight...would at least like to have a plan for failure...maybe replace it with stronger (not sure of it's strength) 16) Backup rudder 17) and most important....a beer maker :) 18) Would like to find a small 12v icemaker 19) upgrade batteries from 300 to 400+ 20) might even replace my in mast furling main for a boom furling main (my mast has never jammed going in but I'm sure if it ever did, it would happen at the wrong time). 21) 100' of additional chain that can be linked into the anchor chain 22) Bulwagga anchor and hugh Fortress storm anchor 23) maybe fix my st4000 auto-pilot for backup 24) maybe an outboard lift (I do it by hand now but I might get tired of that) Why do you ask?

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
things done so far

1) new engine, tranny, and cuttlas bearing 2) fixed refrig and added insulation 3) new quadrant 4) added rule 2000 to a rule 1500 5) new cushions 6) new shower bilge pump 7) insulated generator for noise 8) re-inforce keel with more fiberglass 9) fixed electrolis problem and added a cupling so prop is isolated from electrical system 10) added a seperate grounging system for an shorts that may occur that will not jepordize any parts like the prop or thru hulls tons more to do :)

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Franklin,, Been there.

Just off the top of my head,,, Kidding, experience talking, (from the original list) move #2 to #1. Move #11 to #2. Drop #10. The rest can sit where you're comfortable EXCEPT #17. You haven't got one yet??!!

Mar 4, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Orcas Island, WA
Thanks

Sounds like a good list. The reason for asking is that I'm always evaluating my own boat for the conditions we sail in. We're not planning any ocean passages, but we do some offshore stuff along the west coast of Vancouver Island and will very likely make our way to the Queen Charlotte Islands and Alaska. Our boats are similar and I was curious. I'll be interested to see where you come out on the storm trysail. I looked at that with my sailmaker and there isn't room on my mast for a separate track. We've opted for a very deep third reef with a reinforced leech instead (not a good substitute for serious offshore stuff, but ok for our needs). With a roller furling genoa, I also opted for a "Gale Sail" by ATN which hanks on around the furled genny. I've flown it a couple of times for practice in about 25 knots of wind, but I cheated and put in on before leaving the dock. I think it would be a bear to put on at sea in adverse conditions. Then again it would be even more of a bear to take a genoa off the furler and put up a storm jib in those conditions. I'll also be curious to see which autopilot you select. I've got a 4000 wheelpilot. It works ok under power or when sailing conditions are relativvely easy and consistent. But it fails to control the boat when I need it most. Also curious to know why you selected a 37.6 for offshore work? Or did your plans develop after you bought the boat? Gary Wyngarden S/V Wanderlust h37.5

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
After

My plans developed after I bought the boat. My first boat was a 21' draw keel from when I was a teen. I bought this boat about two years ago. It wasn't until a few months later did I get the bug and not until January that I decided to go for it. I most likely would have bought a different boat...but...there is something that I do like...and that is the high sail to displacement ratio that my boat has. I don't like running the engine. I sailed this weekend on a true blue water boat and didn't like it at all. Thing would hardly move unless the winds were above 15 knots true. He took it many places and said he motorsailed all but 20 percent and now he is looking to get a trawler. I wonder why. Now if I were a millionare, I'd get me a 15 ton, 45' boat ketch cutter with 1800 sq feet of sail but I haven't found anybody that will give me that money yet...not even my dad who has it a couple times over...he's giving it all to charity. So I think my boat is strong enough in the critical areas with using good judgement. Oh yeah, a couple more things to the list: Sea anchor and Drogue

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Innerstay

What about adding an innerstay? This is something I'd really like to have because it would help to balance the sailplan better when the main is really reefed. If the jib is reefed (we have a reefing 110% jib with foam luff and the next heavier weight sail cloth) or when the storm jib is on (ours is about 70%, the clue is quite far forward of the mast and I don't feel the sails are nearly effective as if the rig was a cutter rig and the storm jib (say, same sail area) was on the innerstay. Also, as Gary mentioned, it's not fun changing jibs on a furler and especially if things happened to get nasty. With an innerstay one could just leave the main jib on the furler and not have to do a sail change. It's interesting to note that some of the high performance multihulls are going to synthetic line for their running rigging and away from wire rope. Perhaps a storm jib on a synthetic line that can be hoisted when needed would be an interesting option. As for hatches - 1/4" plastic may not seem that strong but a Hunter is a fairly light-weight boat and the chances of getting significant blue-water on deck of any amount (62.4#/cu ft) would take some effort. However, if the plexiglass is crazed and the seals old then it would be cost-effective to change them out with better stuff. The incremental cost isn't that much and the labor would be the same unless the frame fit was different. Solar: In the past 1½ months we were cruising I only had shorepower for two days - and that was only because I wanted to run the electric heater instead of the diesel forced air furnace. And - this was in the northern end of Vancouver Island where it was often cloudy. When it was sunny I often could see between 18 and 20 amps @13.8v from the two pannels (rated at 130W ea). Won't do air conditioning but for our use it was a piece of cake. When it was cloudy, on the other hand, 8 amps wasn't uncommon but that is still okay. To complete the picture, we did change anchorages fairly often so the Balmar alternator, frankly, would top off the batteries in short order but I never had to run the engine to charge batteries. Where we were a wind generator would have been very helpful and next time I'll take it along. Thought it was going to be sunnier than it was - my mistake. Watermaker - I'm looking at Village Marine but I talked to a guy this summer that gave me some new insight on factors to consider (he used to work for Spectra) so this research is still a work in progress. For health reasons I think a watermaker would be a worthwhile addition - that's why I got the large panels. Replace Sails: Find out from your sailmaker where the cloth weight sits load-wise. If it's near the edge of going to the next heavier cloth and the incremental cost isn't too much that is something that might be worth considering. Try to have the spreader patches work in the normal position and in the reefed position. Outboard lift: This brings up a comment - as one gets older the mussels and get pulled or torn easier so this might be something re-prioritize. I use the main halyard coupled to a "preventer" to raise and lower both the inflatable and the outboard. The preventer is a multi-purpose piece of equipment and isn't attached to the boat so if we ever sell it'll go with us. So far what I've been doing is pulling one end of the preventer up with the halyard and locking the halyard. From there on I've been using the preventer to raise and lower stuff. The only thing I'd like is a little longer line on the preventer because often I've used the full length of it and a few more feet would be helpful. Skylight: I think these are ½-in plexiglass (ours are ½-in Lexan) and these should be plenty strong for a very severe 'dunking' and I wouldn't lose sleep over that. You can stand on 'em so I'd say maybe 3 or 400#/sf or 5 or 6 feet of water? Beer Maker: You mean you guys will drink homemade beer???

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Thanks John

I haven't made any beer yet so I don't know but I'm sure the first few batches I do make will be very hard to get down. It's just a bummer that I will not be able to get my Shinerbock beer when I untie from the docks so I figured if I learned how to make beer then I wouldn't be forced to drink that soft Bud and Miller brands. I do remember drinking some homemade apple wine when I was in Saudi and it tasted nasty but when one hasn't had alcohol in months, you'd be surprised at what you will drink :) Besides...maybe I can use it to lure women onto my boat :) I agree about the innerstay and I love your idea of raising it. I've also am mulling over adding a sprit to give extra room between the two head sails so I could run them both in light wind. My main hatches have been weakened by the sun so they do need to be replace. I sure don't want to be one who ends up calling the CG because the hatch broke and he was taking on water like the guy last year off South Carolina. I tell ya...it's refreshing to actually get helpful advice on improvements instead of the constant badgering because I sail a Hunter.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Shiner Available Here

So your good this far anyway. Stop on in here and I'll buy.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
outboard lift (item 24)

I've installed two outboard lifts on my new boat. The tops are as high as the arch, and a removable steel bar can connect the two through the sleve of a bimini when I'm sailing in hot climes, using the arch as the farward anchor point. The sweet thing about two lifts is that I can use them in concert as davits, lashing the dink to the cove seats for extra security. (Would not do this for a long downwind run offshore, at which point the dink is lashed to the foredeck.) The sweet thing about this arrangement is that for the price of two custom lifts (about $650 each), two 6-to-1 tackles ($60 each plus 60' of line on each) plus a bit of canvas work ($700) I've got a bimini, davits, an outboard lift and a man-overboard lift all at once.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
outboard lift (item 24)

I've installed two outboard lifts on my new boat. The tops are as high as the arch, and a removable steel bar can connect the two through the sleve of a bimini when I'm sailing in hot climes, using the arch as the farward anchor point. The sweet thing about two lifts is that I can use them in concert as davits, lashing the dink to the cove seats for extra security. (Would not do this for a long downwind run offshore, at which point the dink is lashed to the foredeck.) The sweet thing about this arrangement is that for the price of two custom lifts (about $650 each), two 6-to-1 tackles ($60 each plus 60' of line on each) plus a bit of canvas work ($700) I've got a bimini, davits, an outboard lift and a man-overboard lift all at once.

R

Roland David

Question for Franklin

Hi Franklin! I am doing similar works for similar reasons on a similar boat (Hunter 380). Some questions : where will you put your 400+ batteries? And how much water do you intend to carry and where will you put the extra water tank if needed? Thanks!

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Batteries

I just replaced my stock 4D in the port seat with 3 trogen group 24s (105 amps each). After doing so, I had realized that I could have put in 3 trogen group 31s (135 amps). As for water...I have a 75 gallon tank. If it's just me that should be enough with conservation. If I am lucky enough (I guess I have to learn to be less of an ass :) ) to find a woman to go with, then I plan on taking some water bladers and just keeping them strapped down someplace in the cabin (there is an empty place just forward of the tank but conditions will determine if that is a good place). I'm thinking I will use a hand held pump to pump the water into the water tank as it drains. I also plan on trying to catch rain water somehow. Still thinking on that one. There are only a few legs where water become an issue. From CR to Hawaii. From Hawaii to Alaska. From Azores to Bermuda. From India to Northern Africa (trying to stay away from the middle east). I'm not sure about this but I think the Islands in the south Pacific will have water but some are far apart so add them as well. All the rest of the legs I should only be a handful of days away from land. I wish I had a larger water tank but I'll find a way. I may not even need any of that exta water but I would prefer to have too much then too little. Did I mention that I plan on having an emergency, handheld watermaker? I hope I never have to use it. They sound like a pain in the butt :)

R

Rpland David

Thanks Franklin!

Thanks Franklin for your fast response! Your solution for batteries will help me a lot. I was looking to fit 2 8D batteries and had trouble to fit them in! For water, we came to the same solution. I will not use the empty space in front of our watertank, I am afraid it will put to much weight on the bow. I will strap an extra 50 gallons blader somewhere in the boat. If you don't mind, I wish to share some thought about electrical system, that I wish to adapt for my trip in coming weeks. I know that I should have a daily power requirements of 100-120 amp-hours for refrigeration, lights, GPS,watermaker, etc. So I am upgrading my battery bank to 400 Ah (gell-cells), my alternator to a KKK-rated 150-amp as a backup power supply. My problem is to choose how to charge my battery bank without if possible using the engine. The first possibility,of course, is two KYOCERA 130 watts solar panels plus an Air-X Marine Wind Generator, but I am not sure it should be enough. The second solution is a Marine Fuel Cell supplying around 100 amp-hours dayly, but I have to buy and carry methanol, there is some professionnal maintenance to do and it is a quite new technology (maybe unreliable?). You opt yourself for solar panels and genset. Do you have any opinion and preference and why on those three different options? Thanks!

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Your trip

How long of a trip are you looking at? 260 watts of solor and a wind generator would greatly help keeping the batteries charged. You may need to run your engine an hour or two a few times a week. I'm like you...I don't like to run engines but 2-3 hours a week shouldn't that bad. I'm lucky though that my boat came with a generator installed already by previous owner. He also installed radar and I love him for it because I wouldn't have bought either of those but love that I have them. As for the water...I'm thinking more like a few smaller bladders instead of one big one. It's so much easier to find places to put a lot of smaller objects then one big one on a boat. Also easier to handle.

R

Roland David

Longest leg

My longest leg will be NY to Bermuda to Azores to Spain. But for water and power, I have to keep in mind we will be five of us (wife and three young kids). Your own trip sound very exciting. Where will you go first?

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
That's a cool trip

You're going to jump right into it :) I bet the kids will have a blast and the wife will be stressed :) My trip...I'm going to leave Galveston and the direction I go will depend on the wind. If it's from the south then I'll follow the nothern gulf coast to NO then Tampa then the keys then Bahamas then DR, then PR, then island hop to Venezuela, then on around to Brazil, then back around northern South America to Panama, on up to CR, then cutting to Hawaii, over to Alaska, down the west coast to Chilli and then Island hop to New Zealand. I'm thinking that will be close to 2 years worth. After Australia, it's Island hopping all over the tropics and southeast Asia including Japan and India, then go through the canal to Med sea and that's when I do a lot of land cruising on a bicycle after docking in each port (I want to see all of Europe). How I cross the Atlantic is up in the air. I would like to go to Azores and then Bermuda but it may be faster to go south and cross with the trade winds. Tons of time to plan that leg of the trip.

Dec 12, 2005
Hunter 34 Lowestoft
Atlantic

I'm also planning to go to Bermuda, Azores, Spain. I hope to leave C Haterass end of April and be in Spain by mid June.

R

Roland David

On what boat?

So Hunter Voyager, you are on the same route than me. What is the make/model of your boat?

Nov 12, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Kemah, Tx
Harvest Moon Regatta

Speaking of offshore trips, are you planning to participate in the Harvest Moon Regatta next week? I am planning to go for the first time, should be fun. Not sure about meeting women but I think we'll be drinking some beer, Shiner for sure. Of course that will be after we dock ;) I'd like to hear from anyone else that plans to go as I've received a lot of good advice from this site. It would be nice to hear from someone that has been ther before. Ready to go! Tom S/V At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.