Yet, another mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I think this was probably one of the easiest and fastest mods I could make today on my boat. It took me longer to look through my stainless steel spare parts box in the cabin than it did to do the mod.

It's a DIY boom break. I got this idea from Wayne last year. He had built his own version of a Dutchman and he wasn't satisfied with it until he got the idea of using a "Super Eight" mountain climbing device by Black Diamond.

I used a Black Diamond mountain climbing ascending device called a Super Eight that I bought on the web from some place in Utah last year, two single sheaves, a twisted shackle for the Super Eight to hang the right way on the boom eye strap, and a long length of 3/8" non stretch braid line.

I tied the sheaves to my lifeline stanchion bases just forward of the chainplates and I'm using my stern horn cleats to tie off the braid line. I'll have to pick up a couple of small stainless steel shackles from Lowe's or "Worst Marine" for attaching the sheaves to the bases, but the 3/16" braid line will work for now. You need a boom vang to make this set up work. I tried it out today and it seems to work. More info on this mod can be learned on this site:
http://www.sail-world.com/cruising/index.cfm?nid=73062&rid=11

Or this site: http://www.wwpotterowners.com/JohnTurpin1.html
She's all set to go and I'm thinking of splashing her next week after our dock go in this weekend behind the club. I can't wait to get out there and do an overnighter on the river and troll a lure for Stripers under sail.

These mods are easy to do and don't require a lot of work.
Ahoy!
Joe

Attachments

Jan 24, 2011
Hunter 30-2 Lake Champlain
Joe- Have you tried out this boom-brake setup yet? I had actually purchased all the hardware to do this earlier this spring, but between weddings and everything else that (unfortunately) has to come before the boat, I havent set it up yet. Does it work well? Worth the extra lines in my spaghetti-bowl of a cockpit?

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Joe- Have you tried out this boom-brake setup yet? I had actually purchased all the hardware to do this earlier this spring, but between weddings and everything else that (unfortunately) has to come before the boat, I haven't set it up yet. Does it work well? Worth the extra lines in my spaghetti-bowl of a cockpit?
To tell you the truth Amos, I haven't tried it on the water as of yet. I tried it at the house with the boat sitting on the trailer and the mast up and I think it's going to work. My friend Wayne installed this on his Seaward 22 last year and he's pretty satisfied with it.
The only thing I had to invest in was the Super Eight. I had the blocks, shackles, and extra sheets on my boat. I plan on using my stern cleats to cleat them off.
I've been kind of busy trolling for Stripers in the river lately and my outboard was in the shop for almost two weeks. I really can't say when I'll be able to try it out.

I just bought a new Harken Traveler off one of the guys on the forum and I expect to receive it tomorrow. I'll probably be working on that if I get it in time.

This boom break is something that I'll be using out on the bay when I'm on a run heading back to the YC with a South West wind pushing me.
I'll let you know how I make out with it when I get the chance to really experiment with it.

Joe

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
It took me a couple of hours to install this Harken Traveler yesterday but it was well worth the sweat. These mods just keep on coming.

I said good by to my old Nico Fico traveler---for good!

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Joe- Have you tried out this boom-brake setup yet? I had actually purchased all the hardware to do this earlier this spring, but between weddings and everything else that (unfortunately) has to come before the boat, I havent set it up yet. Does it work well? Worth the extra lines in my spaghetti-bowl of a cockpit?
Amos,
I tried the boom break last week and it seems to work fine. However, I really don't want to keep it connected all the time and I figured that I could solve that problem by using a small shackle under the boom on the same pad eye for the boom vang and use a quick release shackle to attached the Super Eight to this shackle.
What I did was find the center of the long braid line and mark it with a magic marker. Then I ran the center bite of the line through the top of the super eight and over the top portion and use the quick shackle to connect or disconnect it when it's not being used. I just coil it up in the same way that I'd do up a long single line and stow it in the lazarette when it's not being used.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.